Diseases in A16 seem much more deadly

Started by DeathWeasel, December 22, 2016, 07:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombra

Thank you DeathWeasel, that's what I thought.  Carry on!

Limdood

After reading this thread, I found a trader and stocked up on Penoxycyline.  Upon contracting the plague, penoxycyline does indeed boost immunity to 61% immediately. 

Further applications of penoxycyline have no effect.

Of note, My colonists later contracted malaria.  Penoxycyline had no effect on the disease immunity progress for any of the 3 colonists who fell ill. 

I haven't contracted the other diseases that penoxycyline affects, but it was interesting to note that it had no post-infection affect on malaria, but does on plague.

SpookCrow

Diseases was nerfed a little too hard to the point where you couldn't do anything to save that colonist. I mean, how am I suppose to save three colonists who have malaria and i only have herbal medicine and normal beds with a crappy built hospital? Like previous people posted, what's the point of saving the colonists if their fate is already determined. Death will come way before they can become immune to the disease. It would be best to just shot that colonist in the head to avoid using up the meds or even put them in a cryptosleep forever.

I do agree with mumble, That sick colonist you have, needs bed rest but instead they just rest and then go work until the point they are forced to stay in bed once the disease becomes worst. I have a colonist on bed rest with 1 and they are still hopping out of bed and doing work. The bed is their life support and once they get out of it, they're dead

Quote from: Shurp on December 23, 2016, 07:28:15 PM
mumblemumble
  Can anyone verify how difficult it is to survive plague or a wound infection with just herbal or medkits, with no penoxycline, hospital beds, or other advanced tech?

99.9% chance of death, I had normal beds with herbal medicine and three colonists with malaria have died.

"Fear is the enemy within you that can lead to your demise." -Spook

Limdood

Quote from: Shadow_SlayerX on December 25, 2016, 03:19:39 PM
Quote from: Shurp on December 23, 2016, 07:28:15 PM
mumblemumble
  Can anyone verify how difficult it is to survive plague or a wound infection with just herbal or medkits, with no penoxycline, hospital beds, or other advanced tech?

99.9% chance of death, I had normal beds with herbal medicine and three colonists with malaria have died.
Right but what about other factors.  There's a hell of a lot that goes into the immunity calculations.  How good is your doctor?  is he in good health and mood when he treats the patient?  Are you waiting for him to treat automatically or do you have him drafted, standing on top of a medicine, next to the patient as the treatment time comes up (thats a valuable in-game hour or so UNtreated while they wait for a doctor)?  Is the patient getting out of bed...ever?

Yes.  A lot of that is somewhat over the top.  But all of it isn't.  If you don't have a good doctor, and want to survive a disease as life-threatening as plague or malaria, you probably want to make damn sure that your mediocre doctor is happy, healthy, and prompt, and that the patient stays in bed no matter what...period.

The basic rimworld game, 3 crashed survivors, should probably be able to set up so that they can snag some penoxycyline fairly early.  Tribals are obviously less situated to get hold of a way to survive the earliest diseases...tribal cultures have always historically been hard hit by diseases, but i admit it would make the game a lot less fun to die 4 days in by unavoidable events.

Shurp

Not unavoidable.  Mod the game to remove them :)  Or mod medicine to be more effective (my preferred solution)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

O Negative

The main problem with diseases in Vanilla isn't how deadly they are (even though they are rather harsh). The main problem is that disease falls upon a colony with literally no cause. There's no avoiding it, and there's not really any way to brace yourself for it like there is with other events in the game. I used to refer to it as "magic malaria" back when I was working on a mod that made diseases a bit more realistic. I kinda stopped working on it, because it was becoming too time consuming to update and post, so I just keep it to myself now.

I, personally, would like to see Tynan give contagious diseases some love. I get all giggly when I think about sick caravans visiting (sometimes hidden so you can't tell), giving colonists diseases, creating a sort of quarantine situation :D That's the gameplay experience I now crave with Rimworld. I only wish I had the know-how to do it myself...

It would take a system that spreads disease from pawn to pawn, and occasional pawns spawning with diseases. *crosses fingers*

gendalf

Is there a mod that would remove pandemic situations/reduce number of pawns getting disease?

as for vanila:
I wish there was a separate setting for diseases not just bundled with general difficulty.
Also would be nice to change how they appear, like:
- It should only appear on 1 pawn and have a small chance to spread mainly via social interactions, but things like: being in the same room, dirty environment, food poisoning, age, starvation, immune system should be considered.
- Get diseases spread to your colony via infected visitors, interacting with dead bodies (especially infected dead bodies), infected animals/dead animals, uncovering ruins.

Having 7 of my pawns simultaneously getting plague isn't fun and doesn't make much sense. Reloading or changing the difficulty to 1 less didn't help, they're still getting the same event..

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

makapse

plague does not occur when you get the event but much earlier and is hidden from you while it reaches to 40% so you need to reload to before this event occurred.

PotatoeTater

I've noticed the quality of bed does impact the speed of care, make sure your med beds, (even if regular beds), are made to the highest quality. Also pawns seem to still want to go out and do stuff unless you micro them to stay in bed. Stupid I know but if you tell them to rest until well, they will not leave bed til they are fully immune. I've been surviving plague on extreme with only herbal using this method, altho it's been close.
Life is Strange

gendalf

Is there a console command or save edit I can perform to change this? I don't think I can deal with this.

makapse

a single penoxcyline per person when you get the event is enough to save them,although you need to give it right away as it increases the immunity gain to 61% from wherever it was so at start its 30% increase. This is why i always keep a stock of 5 in reserve.

b0rsuk

Quote from: Shadow_SlayerX on December 25, 2016, 03:19:39 PM
Diseases was nerfed a little too hard to the point where you couldn't do anything to save that colonist. I mean, how am I suppose to save three colonists who have malaria and i only have herbal medicine and normal beds with a crappy built hospital?

Maybe diseases were changed too much - I haven't had a single disease in my limited A16 playing time - but in A15 they were quite pointless, except the mechanites and muscle parasites that were simply impossible to cure and had to be waited out. You know, I look forward to future Rimworld versions where raids aren't the only thing that can destroy a mid-late colony!

Early game is another matter and diseases occuring at random is a result of cutting corners in simulation department. But it cuts both ways - they're not contagious.

Anyway, it's false 3 colonists have no way to survive an early disease. Head to the nearest ancient danger room. Clear the cryptosleep caskets of their contents and put people inside. Early on, it's unlikely you will find something terribly threatening in there - maybe one or two mechanoids, or a hive with a megaspider you can kite. A good tactic is to build a two way escape tunnel connecting to the ancient danger room. One way ends with a door, the other has several deadfall traps in it. You hold the door open as your brave guy deconstructs a wall, then click on door to make it close as he runs away. The only remaining way out will be through several deadfall traps. I also had handgrenades and by luck there was a tree at the exit of the tunnel (very, very slow movement).

With some luck, the caskets will contain a good doctor you can recruit. If not, I guess it's pulling straws to see who gets to use the cryosleep caskets until much later when you have the cure.

An exciting new solution would be allowing players to visit nearby friendly colonies to get healed by their doctors. Maybe they have a great doctor and a supply of medicine ?

DeathWeasel

Quote from: gendalf on January 23, 2017, 10:12:01 AM
Is there a console command or save edit I can perform to change this? I don't think I can deal with this.

You can edit your game save file to set the immunity higher. It's what I've been doing for early game plague and malaria until this issue gets fixed.

gendalf

DeathWeasel, eah I've discovered that.

Quoteplague does not occur when you get the event but much earlier and is hidden from you while it reaches to 40% so you need to reload to before this event occurred.
Is there a mod that would show the disease right away? That would a more immersive solution(for now).

cultist

Quote from: PotatoeTater on January 23, 2017, 10:09:14 AM
I've noticed the quality of bed does impact the speed of care

When you say "speed of care" you mean the speed of a doctor performing actions on a patient in the bed right? That's interesting, I never suspected that was a thing.