IDEA: Z LAYER

Started by «Temple», December 23, 2016, 06:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

«Temple»

With the ability to generate a map, maybe you could import data and create a small area where you can store or build in.  A ladder that you can right click on with a colonist selected and go underground where you have to carve out a area or have a set area magically created?  As performance hits and other limitations this might be a possibility in the future.

Headshotkill

«Temple»

I saw that when it first came out lol, I knew it wasn't possible at the time but I still clicked it to actually see.

alsoandanswer

Z layer will NEVER. BE. ADDED. EVER.

"If I quote some smart guy, then therefore I should be smart myself!" -alsoandanswer

Zakhad

Quote from: alsoandanswer on December 24, 2016, 12:13:10 AM

They said Don't Starve couldn't have multiplayer due to technical limitations but then a modder made working prototype and then boom Don't Starve together. Proper implementation of Z levels is only a matter of time, its natural stepping stone/development of the game, but I'd wager it'd be an optional feature when generating maps.

Drathmourn

With the ability to have multiple maps running simultaneously the possibilities have opened up. Why cant a "Top" part ladder from my home base connect to the "Bottom" half at the next part of my base on another map?  With the tiny maps generated for events while traveling one of these could be modified without "borders" that can be entered from off map this could be a Z layer workaround. Is this possible or am i misunderstanding?

«Temple»

Quote from: alsoandanswer on December 24, 2016, 12:13:10 AM
With the new thing of map generation with a experienced modder that could find a way to store that data for use it is actually possible.

skullywag

Having another map be upderground is easy in the grand scheme of things but how in the world would you allow pawns to transfer between maps to do jobs the AI system would need a complete overhaul, thats where the complexity has always been, the actual z levels are easy.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

alsoandanswer

you will need to -

change AI pathfinding

generate Z-levels on top of the regular map

quickly changing between levels with no lag (because combat)

terrain generation

"If I quote some smart guy, then therefore I should be smart myself!" -alsoandanswer

Comparing multiplayer to z levels is like comparing intelligent people to people who keep asking for multiplayer and z levels "cuz sum othur gaem haz dem".  They are completely different and unrelated.  As to the specific challenges involved with either:  Use the bloody forum search feature.  This has been discussed to death dozens of times.

IDEA:  Use the forum search function (this has been asked many times before)
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.