[1.0] Children and Pregnancy - v0.5b (2019/Feb/25)

Started by Thirite, December 27, 2016, 09:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirdave79

In the hope that this mod or a rewrite replacement happens.

There appears to be a limit of 10 babies at any one time. In multiple playthroughs and I think in both 1.0 and 1.1 I dont seem to be able to have more than 10 babies. I was trying to get 8 couple to have 4 babies each and they just wouldnt get pregnant after 10 babies were born.

Also traits exposed to xml would be nice. The ability to accumulate traits through a few generations ould be nice. Im thinking of KV more trait slots mod and some of the mods adding actual traits to be allowed to perpetuate themselves through natural births. Ideally id like it best if both parnets had a trait that trait will pretty much be present in the baby. If one parent has a trait, theres a 50 percent chance the trait will be passed on. If two parents have 2 traits each, 50 percent chance that each of 4 traits would be present in a baby.

Shrugs, playing this and dwarf fortress over multiple generations is just my thing.

Cheers

GhostData

I'm currently updating this to 1.1. I had planned to contact the author to merge into the original code base and have them update the thread, but it seems Thirite hasn't been online in about a year. Is someone else hosting this mod these days?

xrogaan

Quote from: Tragix on March 17, 2020, 11:21:57 PM
I'm currently updating this to 1.1. I had planned to contact the author to merge into the original code base and have them update the thread, but it seems Thirite hasn't been online in about a year. Is someone else hosting this mod these days?
The mod doesn't have any indication of license. It seems to be a collab though, which complicate things. You can try to contact Thirite through gitlab (https://gitlab.com/Thirite), by opening a ticket of the project's tracker or by email (most efficient). emails are usually tied to git commits, so it's just a matter of you cloning and looking.

GhostData

Quote from: xrogaan on March 18, 2020, 03:28:40 AM
The mod doesn't have any indication of license. It seems to be a collab though, which complicate things. You can try to contact Thirite through gitlab (https://gitlab.com/Thirite), by opening a ticket of the project's tracker or by email (most efficient). emails are usually tied to git commits, so it's just a matter of you cloning and looking.
There is a license noted in the OP, just not in the repo itself
QuotePermissions
Consider it licensed CC-BY-NC-SA.
Seems to be permissive enough to make changes and even rehost if necessary, but while I am updating it, I certainly don't want to own the thread or anything of that sort.

xrogaan

Quote from: Tragix on March 18, 2020, 12:51:31 PM
There is a license noted in the OP, just not in the repo itself
QuotePermissions
Seems to be permissive enough to make changes and even rehost if necessary, but while I am updating it, I certainly don't want to own the thread or anything of that sort.
If you plan long term support, new features and balance, you could make a new thread. If you just port the thing to 1.1 then go on your merry way, post it here.

Natakate

I'm currently updating this to 1.1.

So looking forward to this being up again, or reworked!

Chezzprinn

Hi Tragix,

Thanks for taking over this awesome mod.

Are you planning to upload your update to the Steam Workshop?

GhostData

Quote from: Chezzprinn on March 20, 2020, 08:11:56 PM
Are you planning to upload your update to the Steam Workshop?
No plans to upload this to the Steam Workshop.

I have started a new thread for support here

KriZ

Quote from: Thirite on December 27, 2016, 09:06:22 PM
Перевод с русского на Modg
Proxyerによって日本語に翻訳された
Lellel 의 한국어 번역

What is it and Why is it?
I've been working on a mod which fills in the missing features concerning human pregnancy/children for a couple months while now, in my limited free time. I've been keeping it under wraps to keep me focused on hammering out the base idea before worrying about specifics. I think a lot of the time when people argue and argue about a topic without ever actually seeing it in practice, they tend to make biased arguments that don't take everything into account. So I just went ahead and started making it, so we could at least see how it could be, not just "how I imagine it would be". The mod is meant to be as vanilla friendly as possible in this respect.

How does it work?
> Two colonists sharing a bed do the Lovin' action
> If either is not using a contraceptive (new drug) or has been sterilized (new surgery), the woman (assuming it's a heterosexual couple) has a chance to get pregnant relevant to her age. 16-25 is the ideal age and 45~ is the dropoff.
> The woman may either take a pill to cancel the pregnancy (if early enough- one season), have an abortion at any time by a doctor, or carry the baby/babies to term (three seasons).
> Once the baby is born, they can do nothing except lie in bed and be fed for 3 2~ seasons. This is the newborn stage. Mothers will have a certain chance to get post partum depression, especially if they have the neurotic or depressive traits.
> After that is the toddler stage. They can crawl around and eat by themselves. They basically act like a tamed (untrained) creature at this stage. Halfway through the toddler stage, they'll stand up and be able to do simple things like flicking switches and carrying items.
> Child stage at 3.5~ years. They can do nearly everything an adult can do, but with less speed/skill. Children will be able to study skills up to level 5 via new "textbook" items which can either be purchased from traders or crafted by sufficiently skilled colonists at a new "writing desk" workbench

At 13 they'll grow into a teenager at which point vanilla mechanics take over.

Some screenshots:

C&P is in a very mature state and plays very stably. I will be moving this topic to the Release subsection of the Mods forum soon.

Requires HugsLib to function
v0.5b Download here - updated 2018/Feb/25

Notice:
Using Children & Pregnancy with certain mods that affect pawn rendering may produce bizarre results. For now, the mod has only been configured to function properly with Alien Races Framework.

Known Bugs
- Child prisoners seem to never be delivered food by wardens; looking into this now
- Incompatibility with Show Hair With Hat mod: Children's hair doesn't get scaled properly

TODO
- Birthdays
- Add textbooks and writing desk
- Make growth vats
- implement gene sampling, in vitro, and cloning

Authors
C&P started as a solo project, but as I'm a total flake other users have collaborated on the mod to update it and fix its bugs. These users are credited:
- Cheran: Ported the mod to the v1.0 Release of RimWorld and fixed many bugs
- Jarry1250: Reworked the tolerance level of social joy for babies and toddlers
- lellel: Fixed a notorious and old rendering bug.
- Kori: Patched out pirates from spawning with children

Permissions

Emily34

BasileusMaximos

How do you fulfill their recreational needs when they start to crawl? There is no option to force a pawn to take it to its crib and play with it.

jptrrs

Quote from: BasileusMaximos on June 26, 2020, 10:00:52 AM
How do you fulfill their recreational needs when they start to crawl? There is no option to force a pawn to take it to its crib and play with it.

I also would like to know that!

Rainbow_Gamer

Will there be ways to ground/ give children time outs and punishments? Good old fashioned Discipline with a way to make the harsher punishments like spanks having a setting in mod options to be turned off for those people that don't want that? Kind Pawns would only scold the child and maybe for teens they could have a "swearing rampage" where they say profound things to adults? Like; "[name] Told [other character] they are a pile of dung."