[1.3] Children and Pregnancy - v4.1.0

Started by GhostData, March 22, 2020, 04:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GhostData

Original thread and mod details: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28747.0

Pretext
This is an updated release of Children and Pregnancy by Thirite.
This modification was not endorsed or authorized by Thirite outside of the permission granted to me as Licensee through the license agreement defined in the original thread
Quote from: Thirite on December 27, 2016, 09:06:22 PM
Permissions
Consider it licensed CC-BY-NC-SA.

This fork is an updated and revised version of Children and Pregnancy that attempts to improve upon inter-mod compatibility and extensibility, repair and update old or incomplete features, and provide new functionality consistent with the current mod direction.

Download
GitLab Releases

Discord
https://discord.gg/qGAPs2fj7a

Installation
https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Installing_mods

Direction
Current development is focused on the following principles.

• Mod Interface Points - Provide API for other mods to interact with CNP features without patching
  • Believability > Realism - Features will strive to be believable, but not necessarily realistic
  • Scope Limitation - The scope of CNP should not be expanded to include features that are not directly relevant to CNP (such as apprenticeship)
  • Stability - As I do not have ownership over the mod, the ultimate goal is to reach a point of relative stability so that development can end.

Compatibility
Below is a list of known compatibility issues. Some of these mods may be made to work together using in-game toggles, but doing so could have unexpected results. Mods in red below will receive no support on CNPs side, as the mods either break or reimplement core features when used with CNP.

RimJobWorld - Intentionally breaks CNP pregnancy in favor of its own. Childhood features of CNP may still work. Use at own risk until integration is performed.
Babies and Children - A derivative on CNP, implements the same feature set. May still work with CNP, but no support will be provided to users attempting to use both mods.
Children, School and Learning - Overrides pawn generation methods, breaking CNP birth. Hard incompatibility until patched.
Age Matters - Implements some of the same features as CNP. May play together, but currently untested. Expect one mod to "win" when determining pawn capabilities based on age.
Vanilla Expanded - Implements changes to pawn rendering. Use of both mods may cause problems with pawn body type generation - this will effectively "damage" your save file with the affected pawn permanently having the wrong body type. Issues are only cosmetic.

FAQ
Steam Release?
No. While the license does not grant me permission to deny redistribution permission, it would be greatly appreciated if no further versions are uploaded to Steam. I do not intend to maintain it, and having a userbase with an outdated version of the mod making reports makes development more tedious. The latest version of the code will always be on git.
A highly moddable game such as Rimworld rarely has mods that integrate properly. The ability to manually install and maintain a modded installation is assumed.

____ Feature doesn't work
Post with the following information

• For all reports of bugs or error messages, provide the hugslib logs and modlist. If an error message report is made without this, it will be ignored.
  • If the issue is with pawn interaction (birth, becoming pregnant, feeding babies, etc) post the details of all involved pawns - ages, races, work priority
  • If the issue is with interaction between this mod and other mods, link to the exact mod that is in conflict
  • If this issue involves rendering (displaying clothes, pawn heads, other graphics) include a screenshot as well as details (age, race) about the pawn.
I cannot fix a problem I cannot replicate. If the issue is with any other mod that adds children, or is listed below as incompatible, reports will be ignored. Please use common sense.

Contributing
Read the git contributions page for details on what is expected of contributors.

Attribution
- Thirite: Mod author
- Cheran: Ported the mod to the v1.0 Release of RimWorld and fixed many bugs
- Jarry1250: Reworked the tolerance level of social joy for babies and toddlers
- lellel: Fixed a notorious and old rendering bug.
- Kori: Patched out pirates from spawning with children

License
Per the original license agreement, this is licensed with the same license:
CC-BY-NC-SA.

GhostData

Let me know if you encounter any issues while using this version. My testing environment is most likely less complex than the typical mod setup, and there may be issues when using certain mods together.

MagicalFungi

added this to an ongoing modded save and had a weird bug while trying to capture fallen enemies with the ui that made it impossible. the popup window for tasks (ie:capture some guy) flashes repeatedly and doesnt work. the window is also slightly offset. when i removed the mod it went back to normal.

hope that helps, GL with the mod. <3

Sshodan

Thank you so much for doing this! :) This mod became a bit of a staple for my set up - I need the added difficulty of useless children to balance out some of the OP stuff I'm constantly tempted to use :) I'll be testing it shortly - now I finally can plan the great move to 1.1. :)

SneakyRobot

Thanks so much for taking over this mod, it's my favorite and I was so sad to lose it. I've played the update and the only real issue I've seen so far is that the babies that are born seem to be born with, if not all, than a lot of traits. It doesn't show in their bio, they get traits from their parents, but when you look at their mood it's things like depressed, happily nude, greedy for impressive bedroom. It's tanking my baby's mood and they keep having episodes, trying to quit the colony or going on murderous rampages. (Which is very funny because they're babies)

GhostData

Quote from: MagicalFungi on March 22, 2020, 11:50:13 PM
added this to an ongoing modded save and had a weird bug while trying to capture fallen enemies with the ui that made it impossible. the popup window for tasks (ie:capture some guy) flashes repeatedly and doesnt work. the window is also slightly offset. when i removed the mod it went back to normal.

hope that helps, GL with the mod. <3

Without more info, I won't be able to track this one down. Based on the description, I was not able to reproduce.
Mod list and load order? What type of pawn is capturing, and what type of pawn is being captured?

Quote from: SneakyRobot on March 23, 2020, 09:13:25 PM
Thanks so much for taking over this mod, it's my favorite and I was so sad to lose it. I've played the update and the only real issue I've seen so far is that the babies that are born seem to be born with, if not all, than a lot of traits. It doesn't show in their bio, they get traits from their parents, but when you look at their mood it's things like depressed, happily nude, greedy for impressive bedroom. It's tanking my baby's mood and they keep having episodes, trying to quit the colony or going on murderous rampages. (Which is very funny because they're babies)
I'll take a look. I haven't touched the 'inheritance' part of the code yet, but I saw that there was what looked like a 50% chance that each inheritable pawn from each parent would be received. Probably needs to be a bit more logic behind that.

MagicalFungi

i appear to be having issues with my core mods or something. jecstools in particular, possibly harmony too... will test again after i fix the issue

evilbob

what about android children and pregnancy ?

dusiiaczek

Babies inherit traits from parents fine, but have mood from EVERYTHING. This is what debug log was throwing at me https://pastebin.com/66g73dUw [edit. when baby reaches 3 years, the mood calms down]
Also - when there was no babies and pawns were assigned to child care debug log was also throwing funny things at me https://pastebin.com/uSGapsqF. This didnt seems to have any influence on game, and it stopped once i unassign everyone from childcare. When babies were born, I reassigned pawns to childcare and didn't throw any new [or old] errors.

I love this mod, so I will continue to use it. If i notice something else I will let you know :P

Jay12098

Thanks for updating this mod! It is one of my staple mods for Rimworld now, I can't fully enjoy a game without it!
Just to say as well, from the little amount of time I played testing this mod, I seem to be having the exact same issues as dusiiaczek.

andythehero

I also have the same problem with the baby pawns taking on every single mood buff and debuff. Scared me pretty bad when that happened and i saw it.

Vrk

Is there an option to acelerate the growth like baby and children?
And another question, I used dev mode to give birth to a baby in an ongoing save, and they only had minor passions, is this a bug or I just got bad luck?

xrogaan

Quote from: Vrk on March 25, 2020, 04:05:23 AM
And another question, I used dev mode to give birth to a baby in an ongoing save, and they only had minor passions, is this a bug or I just got bad luck?
I would like this very much. Or have the baby/children mechanics similar to those of dwarf fortress.

GhostData

Thanks for the reports folks. I have identified the issue with toddlers seeming to have every thought and have fixed it for the next release. There are still some other larger changes I'd like to make before releasing this version, as it will not be backwards compatible.

Quote from: xrogaan on March 25, 2020, 11:40:59 AM
Quote from: Vrk on March 25, 2020, 04:05:23 AM
I would like this very much. Or have the baby/children mechanics similar to those of dwarf fortress.
I'm not opposed (entirely) to adding an accelerated aging mechanism, but I would suggest using another mod to accomplish this, as I am fairly certain there are a few out there already.
I'm an avid dwarf fortress player, but I'm not sure what you mean by "Similar mechanics." The only thing that springs to mind is that at 12 or 13 they become unskilled peasant adults. And are carried everywhere for the first year I suppose.

Bear with me while we work on getting this mod stable. I am changing some of the hediffs around to use components instead, which will require new save files to be generated for children (or for a colony to only have new children post change.)
The 2.0.0 release will be breaking, so I will try to make as many of these changes as possible so we don't go through this often.

xrogaan

Yeah, having colonists need to take care of every children is a strain on the badly balanced food creation (individual portions instead of a communal pot, wasted time making each portion). So having the baby stuck to its mother for a year, then left to its own means afterward would be fine.