Sea Ice Community Challenge

Started by Rhadamant, December 29, 2016, 04:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyEyes

Does chemfuel burn hotter/longer than other items? If not, what about something like dead man's cloth parkas and/or tribal weapons? That wouldn't set you back much since raids are constantly restocking your supply and since you can only have one per tile anyway there's no micro involved.  You could even set the stockpile to accept only the most damaged goods (say, 30% and below) to ensure you are burning what's mostly garbage anyway.
Before you talk to me, I should warn you: I am kind of strange.

Zhentar

Quote from: Thyme on January 24, 2017, 02:17:10 AM
While wood is import only and needs micro to set up. How far below/above comfy temperature can animals go without frostbite/heatstroke? I've never seen a health condition so far, even when 20°C off. Snowhares have -70°C btw.
I'm using a geysir to keep my greenhouse + boomrat warm (reduce heating cost), but you don't even have that in Sea Ice. Heating with an incendiary launcher/cocktails?

I also missed polar bears, which have -80°C.

When pawns are within 10°C of their "comfy" temperature, they do no accumulate any hypothermia/heatstroke. When they are >10°C and <21°C below their comfy temperature, they accumulate hypothermia at a rate that should put them at risk of frostbite in about half a day. Colder than that, and it starts to accumulate more quickly. At 125°C below their min comfy temperature, pawns will collapse from extreme hypothermia in 2 hours.

Thyme

I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

b0rsuk

Okay, I checked and Sea Ice biome is just a strictly worse version of Ice Sheet. Like Ice Sheet, but with less resources. There's no difference in temperature. Sea Ice is not inherently colder or anything.

I like some harsher biomes because they put emphasis on different set of items or machines, like heaters, parkas, wool, jackets etc. But Sea Ice just removes some options and that's it. You're playing a more limited game. I could understand if the extra challenge came from something additional, like regular blizzards that actually deal damage to pawns and structures, and can cause mounds of snow.

Thyme

Removing options shifts the priorities of what you need to get and when. The extra challenge comes from the neccessity to squezze the game mechanics even more.
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

b0rsuk

Quote from: Thyme on January 26, 2017, 08:29:37 AM
Removing options shifts the priorities of what you need to get and when. The extra challenge comes from the neccessity to squezze the game mechanics even more.

Translation: hydroponic tables solve all problems.

erastudil

Quote from: b0rsuk on January 26, 2017, 11:47:09 AM

Translation: hydroponic tables solve all problems.

Oh do they?

*Someone* hasn't actually tried the challenge...

First off, good luck getting a hydro table. Second, solar flares are a thing. And if you get shot once you're likely to just bleed out since you had to eat everyone that showed up so there's nobody to treat you. And even when you finally get that rice planted, a single mental break could leave you naked and frozen in the middle of the wasteland.

Just figuring out how to build your shelter on day 1 so that you don't freeze to death before it's warmed up enough to keep you alive takes a few tries to get right. No rock to mine into or build against, no geyser to build around. I wouldn't bother building walls out of silver on a regular ice sheet, but on sea ice you really have to stretch out the wood and steel you start with or you won't live long enough to trade the silver for anything.

Instead of just speculating about the differences, you should try it.

Zhentar

Why didn't you have Engie tend either of them?

CrazyEyes

I haven't had a lot of chances to play now that the semester has started again, but I made some progress tonight.  Here's what happened:

Day 141

Norman brought me some chocolate to try and cheer me up.  He said it landed in some cargo pods nearby.  I nearly decapitated him when I went to reach for it with my left hand and accidentally extended the telescoping blade.

I think I broke down crying for a while.  Norman sat quietly for a while, but eventually had to go back to his work.  He left the chocolate.

I can still do this.

Day 142

I awoke sometime in the night to the sound of gunfire.  I had to fumble around in the dark for my rifle, and when I finally found it I realized there was no way I'd be able to weild it properly now.  I choked back a sob and ran outside to see what was happening, but it was already over.  Norman said a large group of tribals had showed up and tried to swarm the defenses, but had given up after we killed enough of them.  I angrily demanded to know why nobody had gotten me and immediately wished I hadn't.  Norman glanced at my hand and then tried very hard to look away.  Dejected, I dropped my rifle on the ground and walked back to my room.  I passed Hakuja on the way and I swear I heard her humming to herself.  At least all the violence and loss puts someone in a good mood.  I felt like using her to see just how sharp my new blade was.

Before I'd even slept four hours Norman exploded into my room.  I was tired and angry, and I was going to scream at him but before I could he said that a prosthesis trader had just radioed in.

I don't know how long I just sat there, dumbfounded.  I couldn't believe my luck.  Norman ran over and shook me out of bed and I almost knocked Cyber down running to the comms console.

The trader didn't have any proper hand replacements, but they did have a bionic power claw.  It costs half our silver, and I'll still look a bit disfigured, but at least this thing was designed for human operation and will work almost as well as my hand did.  Cyber helped me detatch the scyther blade and grafted the claw to the end of my arm.  I still feel like crying, but this time it's from relief.  I'm not a cripple anymore.

((Author's note:  Well, that was a pretty incredible stroke of luck.  I was expecting the scyther blade to be this whole thing, and kind of looking forward to writing it to be honest.  Then four days later a prosthesis trader shows up and Engie's back to 98% efficency with her left hand.  I guess I can't complain, but it's a bit of an anticlimax.  It really did cost about half my silver, though, so that's going to hurt somewhat if a bulk goods trader ever does come by.  Ultimately I decided it was worth it to keep Engie a decent worker and let her help in a fight without risking her in melee.  I still have all sorts of looted tribal weapons to sell in case a combat supplier shows up, so I'm not too worried.

Also, she will be significantly less dangerous in a berserk rage holding a gun than she would be with a sword for a hand.))

Day 145

Another prosthesis trader?  That's odd.  They don't have anything better than the power claw, and they weren't interested in buying the scyther blades we recovered.  Oh well.  If we ever really needed to, those could turn a person into a really terrifying fighter up close... but I don't think I could put anyone through that.  Those few days were the worst of my life.

Day 149

Another tribal raid today.  Nobody was injured in the attack.  Not by the attackers, at least.  I sort of winged Hakuja with my assault rifle on accident.  I guess I'm not fully used to the new hand yet.

After the attack, though, Norman collapsed.  We rushed him back to his room and Hakuja, still bleeding, said it looked like he had symptoms of the plague.  God only knows how he managed to catch a disease out here on the ice.  Well, we brought him to my room (the silver my bed is made of helps keep it clean, so he'll recover faster) and broke out the medicine so Hakuja could treat him.

I hope he pulls through.  I know he killed Red, but that wasn't really his fault.  And he's sweet.  He makes me think of Otto, wherever he is.  I hope he comes back to me.

A psychic ship crashed here in the night.  I was going to save this ploy for the coldest night of winter, but we can't afford to keep waiting now.  Let's crack it open and see if mechanoids freeze.

Day 152

Norman is going to be alright.  Hakuja says he's no longer in danger and will get better on his own from now on.  I'm really glad.  We need his help with that mechanoid ship.  And... things wouldn't be the same without him.

Day 153

Norman kissed me today.  We were getting our weapons together so we'd be ready to hit the mechanoid ship, and he pulled me aside.  He told me how much I meant to him, and that we shouldn't be afraid of being together just because things are hard.  And he kissed me.  And I kissed him back.  I was so caught up in the moment I couldn't help it.  And I do like Norman... a lot.  He's smart and kind and he was there for me when I was at my lowest.  But...

I still miss Otto.  I don't know what happened to him after he went off in search of another colony, and I can't give up hope that he'll come back.  But it's already been so long.  Surely we would have heard something by now, anything to let us know that he was still....

I need to go.  Work to do.

Day 154

While we were stacking up to assault the mechanoid ship some cargo pods full of rice crashed nearby.  Maybe we can cook up a victory meal if we live through this.

Mechanoids do not freeze.  They must have some kind of internal heating system to keep their circuits at a stable operating temperature.  That was a pretty big dissapointment, but thankfully we prepared for the worst.  We managed to get a couple of improvised turrets built and set them up in front of the defensive line and hauled over one of our batteries to power them.  It was expensive, but it gave the mechanoids something else to shoot at.  Cyber also decided to throw EMP grenades since he's not that great of a shot with a rifle.  Between the turrets and the grenades we actually managed to take out the mechanoids without sustaining any injuries!  We did lose a turret, but that just means it did its job.

I'm just so glad I can't feel that thing in my head anymore.

Day 156

Hakuja and Cyber are getting married!  They told us this morning.  I'm glad people are beginning to find happiness out here despite the horrible conditions.  I'll help Hakuja organize the party, and hopefully a trader comes along soon so we can start to build proper accomodations for everyone.

Day 157

A pair of thrumbos collapsed near our outpost today after trying to cross the ice.  I'm saddened to see any of these creatures die but at least it means we'll eat well for a while.

Also, we really nee to start asking more questions about people who say they're fleeing from pirates.  It seems like most of the time that means we're about to have a raid drop on our heads.  This time it was someone by the name of Bluejay who asked for our help.  It was the middle of the night, so we all got up and started shooting from our rooms, but there was no time for Bluejay to get into cover - the pirates killed him.  then they decided to grab what they could and flee, nearly making off with all our good medicine before Norman managed to gun down two more of them and send them into a full-blown retreat.  good riddance.

We were about to go back to bed when the comms console lit up, this time with a pirate merchant!  odd timing, but I'm not complaining.  They probably won't have much in the way of building supplies but they should be willing to take all our useless weapons off our hands.

Day 158

We sold all our worthless tribal weapons and looted clothes, making back around 2000 silver (hey, that just paid for my new hand) and buying 80 smokeleaf jointes to help keep everyone in a good mood.  Just as we closed the channel, a group of tribals showed up and began preparing to attack.  Maybe the merchant will stick around long enough to buy their weapons too.

They didn't.  Oh well.  Better start digging some new graves.  Corpses are unsightly, you know.

Day 160

A wanderer named Wobber asked if he could join our colony today.  I agreed, and he's on his way now.  He's apparently a very good negotiator, which should help when the next trader comes by, and another pair of hands to help with the hauling is always welcome.

A few hours later, a group of sappers showed up.  The cold wasn't enough to deter them, but our bullets were.  Naturally one of our conduits took this opportunity to explode.  Nothing important was destroyed, but the sudden loss of power killed our crop of smokeleaf right before harvest.

Day 162

Another plume of toxic ash has envelloped the region.  Nothing to do but stay under cover and wait for it to pass.

Day 164

Otto, if you're out there, I'm sorry.  I can't wait any more.  It's been more than a year since you left me without saying goodbye, and I haven't heard a single thing from you since then.  One way or another, I feel like you're gone for good.

Norman proposed to me today.  I said yes.  We've been through so much together - I love him.  He loves me.  And he's here for me.  And I don't ever want that to change.

Day 165

Just as the worst of the fallout cleared up, a large group of tribals attacked us from the east.  They actually managed to get close, and for a while we were fighting hand-to-hand before they eventually broke and ran.  We're all a bit dinged up, but there are no permanant injuries.  Silver lining, the bodies are right next to the graveyard.

Day 169

An exotic goods trader arrived today.  They didn't have any construction materials either, but we were able to sell off the remainder of our looted tribalwear as well as a bunch of armchairs made of... well, let's just say I don't really want to sit in them myself.  The trader was pleased to hear they were made of leather, and we didn't elaborate on what kind.  They also bought our scyther blades and thrumbo horns.  We ended up with about 5000 more silver, and we bought all their gold and plasteel.  I don't intend to use the plasteel for buildings - it's too valuable, even in our circumstances - but it will definitely be good to have in the future.

We also bought something interesting.  An artifact from some glitterworld civilization.  A psychic insanity lance.  I don't much like the look of this thing, but it could easily turn the tide if a group of raiders ever shows up packing too much heat for us to handle.

Speaking of raids, a group of pirates arrived in drop pods nearby (not on top of us, for a change) and started preparing an attack.  One of them has a really, REALLY big rocket launcher.  They attacked sooner than I thought they would, so it looks like we're going to get to see how that lance works.  Cyber grabbed it and pressed the activation switch, aiming it in the direction of the incoming raid.

A few seconds later, we heard a massive boom sweep across the ice.  The lance had driven one of the swordsmen berserk, and the raider with the rocket launcher decided to turn it on his friend in close quarters.  Not a smart move.  We counted at least five dead bodies on the ice, who knows how many more injured in the subsequent retreat.  i don't like to think about what that weapon might have done to us.

Day 173

A combat supplier is not a bulk goods trader.  We need a bulk goods trader.  We did sell off the melee weapons the pirate merchant wouldn't take.  Clubs, mostly, but we had so many we actually made a fair bit of silver.  We need a bulk goods trader.

Day 176

Hey, those cargo pods had megasloth wool.  I should really make a tailoring bench.

Day 178

Norman and I exchanged our vows today.  I haven't felt this happy in a long time.  I never thought I'd find peace in this horrible frozen wasteland but Norman gives me hope every day and I wouldn't be able to do this without him.  For the first time in what feels like a hundred years I have real hope for the future.

Day 180

That was intense.  A mechanoid raid arrived and we manned the defensive walls.  We took out the scythers, but my poor Norman got his foot shot off.  I wanted to tend to him myself but I am the best shot in the colony and somebody needed to kite the centipedes, so I grabbed a sniper rifle and got their attention.

While I was leading them around, a tribal raid arrived.  I thought that was it for us, but then I had an idea.  I switched directions and tried to pull the centipedes into the path of the tribals.  I almost got caught in the horde, but thankfully they saw the mechanoids and, recognizing the greater threat, diverted to attack them.  And they actually won, though it was more through force of numbers.  Cyber and Hakuja, still bleeding from fighting the scythers, managed to kill enough of the remaining tribals to force a rout.

We're lucky to be alive, but I feel terrible for Norman.  He is up and moving around, and we patched him up as best we could, but I can tell how difficult and painful it is for him.  If ony we hadn't sold all those wooden feet.... I wonder if there isn't anything I can do.

Day 181

More mechanoids arrived in drop pods nearby.  I don't know if we can survive another assault.  thankfully it's only centipedes, and they're slow.  I'm going to get my rifle and do my best to keep them away from the colony.

Day 183

two days.  Two friggin' days of leading those centipedes out on the ice.  Wobber tried to help, but he had to use a worse rifle and he's not as good a shot as I am.  We both ended up having to lead them far away from the base and then run inside just so we could rest for a couple hours and eat.  We eventually killed them, but... I mean, Jesus.  We realy need a better way to deal with these things.

And we STILL haven't fought that poison ship yet.  I'm beginning to truly dread what lies within.

Day 189

Some cargo pods landed today carrying uranium.  I wonder where all these supplies are coming from?  Regardless, this will be quite useful when we are finally able to cobble together a ship.

Day 191

Hakuja and Cyber are getting married today!  I hope they're happy together for a very long time.  Unfortunately, a psychic ship crashed nearby, which put a bit of a damper on the celebration.  I'm working on some more turrets to help us like last time.  If we could get our hands on some mortar shells I have a few ideas for rigging up some traps, but we'll have to save that idea for later.

Day 195

Finally!  A bulk goods trader!  We are going to build SO MANY THINGS.  We bought about a thousand each of steel, marble blocks, granite blocks and wood.  We also bought a handful of components, and Wobber talked me into buying all their beer.  Hey, why not?  We actuallly have a shot at making this work now!  It cost us well over eight thousand steel, but it was worth every ounce.  There are so many things we need to build - but first we need to kill that damn psychic ship.  Everything is in place.  We attack at first light.

matthewgareth

Quote from: CrazyEyes on January 27, 2017, 02:38:32 AM
I haven't had a lot of chances to play now that the semester has started again, but I made some progress tonight.  Here's what happened:

Day 141

Norman brought me some chocolate to try and cheer me up.  He said it landed in some cargo pods nearby.  I nearly decapitated him when I went to reach for it with my left hand and accidentally extended the telescoping blade.

I think I broke down crying for a while.  Norman sat quietly for a while, but eventually had to go back to his work.  He left the chocolate.

I can still do this.

Day 142

I awoke sometime in the night to the sound of gunfire.  I had to fumble around in the dark for my rifle, and when I finally found it I realized there was no way I'd be able to weild it properly now.  I choked back a sob and ran outside to see what was happening, but it was already over.  Norman said a large group of tribals had showed up and tried to swarm the defenses, but had given up after we killed enough of them.  I angrily demanded to know why nobody had gotten me and immediately wished I hadn't.  Norman glanced at my hand and then tried very hard to look away.  Dejected, I dropped my rifle on the ground and walked back to my room.  I passed Hakuja on the way and I swear I heard her humming to herself.  At least all the violence and loss puts someone in a good mood.  I felt like using her to see just how sharp my new blade was.

Before I'd even slept four hours Norman exploded into my room.  I was tired and angry, and I was going to scream at him but before I could he said that a prosthesis trader had just radioed in.

I don't know how long I just sat there, dumbfounded.  I couldn't believe my luck.  Norman ran over and shook me out of bed and I almost knocked Cyber down running to the comms console.

The trader didn't have any proper hand replacements, but they did have a bionic power claw.  It costs half our silver, and I'll still look a bit disfigured, but at least this thing was designed for human operation and will work almost as well as my hand did.  Cyber helped me detatch the scyther blade and grafted the claw to the end of my arm.  I still feel like crying, but this time it's from relief.  I'm not a cripple anymore.

((Author's note:  Well, that was a pretty incredible stroke of luck.  I was expecting the scyther blade to be this whole thing, and kind of looking forward to writing it to be honest.  Then four days later a prosthesis trader shows up and Engie's back to 98% efficency with her left hand.  I guess I can't complain, but it's a bit of an anticlimax.  It really did cost about half my silver, though, so that's going to hurt somewhat if a bulk goods trader ever does come by.  Ultimately I decided it was worth it to keep Engie a decent worker and let her help in a fight without risking her in melee.  I still have all sorts of looted tribal weapons to sell in case a combat supplier shows up, so I'm not too worried.

Also, she will be significantly less dangerous in a berserk rage holding a gun than she would be with a sword for a hand.))

Day 145

Another prosthesis trader?  That's odd.  They don't have anything better than the power claw, and they weren't interested in buying the scyther blades we recovered.  Oh well.  If we ever really needed to, those could turn a person into a really terrifying fighter up close... but I don't think I could put anyone through that.  Those few days were the worst of my life.

Day 149

Another tribal raid today.  Nobody was injured in the attack.  Not by the attackers, at least.  I sort of winged Hakuja with my assault rifle on accident.  I guess I'm not fully used to the new hand yet.

After the attack, though, Norman collapsed.  We rushed him back to his room and Hakuja, still bleeding, said it looked like he had symptoms of the plague.  God only knows how he managed to catch a disease out here on the ice.  Well, we brought him to my room (the silver my bed is made of helps keep it clean, so he'll recover faster) and broke out the medicine so Hakuja could treat him.

I hope he pulls through.  I know he killed Red, but that wasn't really his fault.  And he's sweet.  He makes me think of Otto, wherever he is.  I hope he comes back to me.

A psychic ship crashed here in the night.  I was going to save this ploy for the coldest night of winter, but we can't afford to keep waiting now.  Let's crack it open and see if mechanoids freeze.

Day 152

Norman is going to be alright.  Hakuja says he's no longer in danger and will get better on his own from now on.  I'm really glad.  We need his help with that mechanoid ship.  And... things wouldn't be the same without him.

Day 153

Norman kissed me today.  We were getting our weapons together so we'd be ready to hit the mechanoid ship, and he pulled me aside.  He told me how much I meant to him, and that we shouldn't be afraid of being together just because things are hard.  And he kissed me.  And I kissed him back.  I was so caught up in the moment I couldn't help it.  And I do like Norman... a lot.  He's smart and kind and he was there for me when I was at my lowest.  But...

I still miss Otto.  I don't know what happened to him after he went off in search of another colony, and I can't give up hope that he'll come back.  But it's already been so long.  Surely we would have heard something by now, anything to let us know that he was still....

Day 154

While we were stacking up to assault the mechanoid ship some cargo pods full of rice crashed nearby.  Maybe we can cook up a victory meal if we live through this.

Mechanoids do not freeze.  They must have some kind of internal heating system to keep their circuits at a stable operating temperature.  That was a pretty big dissapointment, but thankfully we prepared for the worst.  We managed to get a couple of improvised turrets built and set them up in front of the defensive line and hauled over one of our batteries to power them.  It was expensive, but it gave the mechanoids something else to shoot at.  Cyber also decided to throw EMP grenades since he's not that great of a shot with a rifle.  Between the turrets and the grenades we actually managed to take out the mechanoids without sustaining any injuries!  We did lose a turret, but that just means it did its job.

Day 156

Hakuja and Cyber are getting married!  They told us this morning.  I'm glad people are beginning to find happiness out here despite the horrible conditions.  I'll help Hakuja organize the party, and hopefully a trader comes along soon so we can start to build proper accomodations for everyone.

Day 157

A pair of thrumbos collapsed near our outpost today after trying to cross the ice.  I'm saddened to see any of these creatures die but at least it means we'll eat well for a while.

Also, we really nee to start asking more questions about people who say they're fleeing from pirates.  It seems like most of the time that means we're about to have a raid drop on our heads.  This time it was someone by the name of Bluejay who asked for our help.  It was the middle of the night, so we all got up and started shooting from our rooms, but there was no time for Bluejay to get into cover - the pirates killed him.  then they decided to grab what they could and flee, nearly making off with all our good medicine before Norman managed to gun down two more of them and send them into a full-blown retreat.  good riddance.

We were about to go back to bed when the comms console lit up, this time with a pirate merchant!  odd timing, but I'm not complaining.  They probably won't have much in the way of building supplies but they should be willing to take all our useless weapons off our hands.

Day 158

We sold all our worthless tribal weapons and looted clothes, making back around 2000 silver (hey, that just paid for my new hand) and buying 80 smokeleaf jointes to help keep everyone in a good mood.  Just as we closed the channel, a group of tribals showed up and began preparing to attack.  Maybe the merchant will stick around long enough to buy their weapons too.

They didn't.  Oh well.  Better start digging some new graves.  Corpses are unsightly, you know.

Day 160

A wanderer named Wobber asked if he could join our colony today.  I agreed, and he's on his way now.  He's apparently a very good negotiator, which should help when the next trader comes by, and another pair of hands to help with the hauling is always welcome.

A few hours later, a group of sappers showed up.  The cold wasn't enough to deter them, but our bullets were.  Naturally one of our conduits took this opportunity to explode.  Nothing important was destroyed, but the sudden loss of power killed our crop of smokeleaf right before harvest.

Day 162

Another plume of toxic ash has envelloped the region.  Nothing to do but stay under cover and wait for it to pass.

Day 164

Otto, if you're out there, I'm sorry.  I can't wait any more.  It's been more than a year since you left me without saying goodbye, and I haven't heard a single thing from you since then.  One way or another, I feel like you're gone for good.

Norman proposed to me today.  I said yes.  We've been through so much together - I love him.  He loves me.  And he's here for me.  And I don't ever want that to change.

Day 165

Just as the worst of the fallout cleared up, a large group of tribals attacked us from the east.  They actually managed to get close, and for a while we were fighting hand-to-hand before they eventually broke and ran.  We're all a bit dinged up, but there are no permanant injuries.  Silver lining, the bodies are right next to the graveyard.

Day 169

An exotic goods trader arrived today.  They didn't have any construction materials either, but we were able to sell off the remainder of our looted tribalwear as well as a bunch of armchairs made of... well, let's just say I don't really want to sit in them myself.  The trader was pleased to hear they were made of leather, and we didn't elaborate on what kind.  They also bought our scyther blades and thrumbo horns.  We ended up with about 5000 more silver, and we bought all their gold and plasteel.  I don't intend to use the plasteel for buildings - it's too valuable, even in our circumstances - but it will definitely be good to have in the future.

We also bought something interesting.  An artifact from some glitterworld civilization.  A psychic insanity lance.  I don't much like the look of this thing, but it could easily turn the tide if a group of raiders ever shows up packing too much heat for us to handle.

Speaking of raids, a group of pirates arrived in drop pods nearby (not on top of us, for a change) and started preparing an attack.  One of them has a really, REALLY big rocket launcher.  They attacked sooner than I thought they would, so it looks like we're going to get to see how that lance works.  Cyber grabbed it and pressed the activation switch, aiming it in the direction of the incoming raid.

A few seconds later, we heard a massive boom sweep across the ice.  The lance had driven one of the swordsmen berserk, and the raider with the rocket launcher decided to turn it on his friend in close quarters.  Not a smart move.  We counted at least five dead bodies on the ice, who knows how many more injured in the subsequent retreat.  i don't like to think about what that weapon might have done to us.

Day 173

A combat supplier is not a bulk goods trader.  We need a bulk goods trader.  We did sell off the melee weapons the pirate merchant wouldn't take.  Clubs, mostly, but we had so many we actually made a fair bit of silver.  We need a bulk goods trader.

Day 176

Hey, those cargo pods had megasloth wool.  I should really make a tailoring bench.

Day 178

Norman and I exchanged our vows today.  I haven't felt this happy in a long time.  I never thought I'd find peace in this horrible frozen wasteland but Norman gives me hope every day and I wouldn't be able to do this without him.  For the first time in what feels like a hundred years I have real hope for the future.

Day 180

That was intense.  A mechanoid raid arrived and we manned the defensive walls.  We took out the scythers, but my poor Norman got his foot shot off.  I wanted to tend to him myself but I am the best shot in the colony and somebody needed to kite the centipedes, so I grabbed a sniper rifle and got their attention.

While I was leading them around, a tribal raid arrived.  I thought that was it for us, but then I had an idea.  I switched directions and tried to pull the centipedes into the path of the tribals.  I almost got caught in the horde, but thankfully they saw the mechanoids and, recognizing the greater threat, diverted to attack them.  And they actually won, though it was more through force of numbers.  Cyber and Hakuja, still bleeding from fighting the scythers, managed to kill enough of the remaining tribals to force a rout.

We're lucky to be alive, but I feel terrible for Norman.  He is up and moving around, and we patched him up as best we could, but I can tell how difficult and painful it is for him.  If ony we hadn't sold all those wooden feet.... I wonder if there isn't anything I can do.

Day 181

More mechanoids arrived in drop pods nearby.  I don't know if we can survive another assault.  thankfully it's only centipedes, and they're slow.  I'm going to get my rifle and do my best to keep them away from the colony.

Day 183

two days.  Two friggin' days of leading those centipedes out on the ice.  Wobber tried to help, but he had to use a worse rifle and he's not as good a shot as I am.  We both ended up having to lead them far away from the base and then run inside just so we could rest for a couple hours and eat.  We eventually killed them, but... I mean, Jesus.  We realy need a better way to deal with these things.

And we STILL haven't fought that poison ship yet.  I'm beginning to truly dread what lies within.

Day 189

Some cargo pods landed today carrying uranium.  I wonder where all these supplies are coming from?  Regardless, this will be quite useful when we are finally able to cobble together a ship.

Day 191

Hakuja and Cyber are getting married today!  I hope they're happy together for a very long time.  Unfortunately, a psychic ship crashed nearby, which put a bit of a damper on the celebration.  I'm working on some more turrets to help us like last time.  If we could get our hands on some mortar shells I have a few ideas for rigging up some traps, but we'll have to save that idea for later.

Day 195

Finally!  A bulk goods trader!  We are going to build SO MANY THINGS.  We bought about a thousand each of steel, marble blocks, granite blocks and wood.  We also bought a handful of components, and Wobber talked me into buying all their beer.  Hey, why not?  We actuallly have a shot at making this work now!  It cost us well over eight thousand steel, but it was worth every ounce.  There are so many things we need to build - but first we need to kill that damn psychic ship.  Everything is in place.  We attack at first light.

Instantly thought of fanfic cause of that comment

Lawlzer

Quote from: CrazyEyes on January 27, 2017, 02:38:32 AM

Day 141

I can still do this.

Day 142

Day 145

Day 149

Day 152

Day 153

Day 154

Day 156

Day 157

Day 158

Day 160

Day 162

Day 164

Day 165

Day 169

Day 173

Day 176

Day 178

Day 180

Day 181

Day 183

Day 189

Day 191

Day 195

That.. is... amazing

CrazyEyes

Glad you guys are enjoying it! You probably shouldn't quote the entire post to respond, though - it makes the page unnecesarily long.  :P

It's been a pretty eventful 50 days for Engie but thanks to that bulk goods trader I can finally start building actual rooms for the kitchen, workshop, etc. Having to basically work and live inside the "everything" stockpile means they're constantly complaining about the ugly environment.

I should be able to get another bunch of entries done by tonight or maybe tomorrow.  I really do have to kill that ship part first thing though, so we'll see how that goes.

Zhentar

How cold was it when you tried the mechanoid hypothermia? I don't actually see anything in the code that would prevent it at first glance.

And for the future, Exotic Goods traders do sell building materials, in the form of statues.

Quizart

I've given this about 5 attempts now, with mixed results.

Attempt #1: Actually had a pretty good setup - got a good parka from the first raider, THREE steel cargo pod drops, and plenty of orbital traders coming in and out. But I messed up the power requirements bad - I'd never done hydroponics before - and spent days trying to fix it. By the time I had, I was out of food, and died to a mechanoid raid because I could never afford to have other colonists to help. Was just under a year.

Attempt #2: Failed 3 construction attempts on initial building, got frostbite, got infected, died. Happens.

Attempt #3: The third raiding party that came in was 3 guys, and one had frag grenades. I stupidly used my building as cover from the other two, and he blew up part of the building. By the time I fought them off and repaired the building, it was too late (didn't get lucky on apparel drops that time).

Attempt #4: Took an unlucky hit to the eye on the second raid. Decided to just start over.

Attempt #5: The one I just finished. Now that was frustrating. I had a good strong early setup, got great apparel early on. Had a comms console on the third day as usual. I lasted 48 days. Not. One. Trader. Not a single freaking one. And trust me, I checked about two dozen times that it was turned on. I had to turn it off for part of winter because there was no sun for the solar panel. I got some decent food drops, so didn't have to resort to cannabilism, but I couldn't build any hydroponics, so it was still just me by myself, praying for a trader.

Then the mechanoid came.

I was all by myself on the far corner of the map picking up some more random crap to sell from the 800th person who escape pod'd in, when a single mechanoid drop-pod'd into the middle of my base. By the time I ran back, he had destroyed everything. The comm console. The trade beacon. The battery and the solar panel. Everything. I ended up killing him, but didn't have nearly enough steel to rebuild power and the comm console, nor power and a smelter despite having hauled a ton of slag.

On to my 6th attempt!  That last one was frustrating - the comm console is so damn random, it varies wildly every game - but such is life.

CrazyEyes

Quote from: Zhentar on January 27, 2017, 03:47:42 PM
How cold was it when you tried the mechanoid hypothermia? I don't actually see anything in the code that would prevent it at first glance.

And for the future, Exotic Goods traders do sell building materials, in the form of statues.

It was around -135C when I attacked the ship.  I didn't let them sit there because I didn't want to have to attack them withough the benefit of sandbags and turrets, but they weren't showing any signs of hypothermia by the time the fight was over.  I left them downed on the ice for a while and they didn't freeze then either.  It's too bad, I was hoping that would be a benefit to the extreme cold but I guess not.  IED traps should still work against ship parts though.  Just gotta get my hands on some mortars.

As for the statues, yesh, I thought of that, but it would have been a waste of silver for the meager resources I'd get back.  I didn't want to drop hundreds or even thousands of silver to get ~75 building materials so I figured I'd just wait for a bulk goods trader to come along and give me a better deal.

Quote from: Quizart on January 27, 2017, 08:33:51 PM
I've given this about 5 attempts now, with mixed results.

Attempt #1: Actually had a pretty good setup - got a good parka from the first raider, THREE steel cargo pod drops, and plenty of orbital traders coming in and out. But I messed up the power requirements bad - I'd never done hydroponics before - and spent days trying to fix it. By the time I had, I was out of food, and died to a mechanoid raid because I could never afford to have other colonists to help. Was just under a year.

Attempt #2: Failed 3 construction attempts on initial building, got frostbite, got infected, died. Happens.

Attempt #3: The third raiding party that came in was 3 guys, and one had frag grenades. I stupidly used my building as cover from the other two, and he blew up part of the building. By the time I fought them off and repaired the building, it was too late (didn't get lucky on apparel drops that time).

Attempt #4: Took an unlucky hit to the eye on the second raid. Decided to just start over.

Attempt #5: The one I just finished. Now that was frustrating. I had a good strong early setup, got great apparel early on. Had a comms console on the third day as usual. I lasted 48 days. Not. One. Trader. Not a single freaking one. And trust me, I checked about two dozen times that it was turned on. I had to turn it off for part of winter because there was no sun for the solar panel. I got some decent food drops, so didn't have to resort to cannabilism, but I couldn't build any hydroponics, so it was still just me by myself, praying for a trader.

Then the mechanoid came.

I was all by myself on the far corner of the map picking up some more random crap to sell from the 800th person who escape pod'd in, when a single mechanoid drop-pod'd into the middle of my base. By the time I ran back, he had destroyed everything. The comm console. The trade beacon. The battery and the solar panel. Everything. I ended up killing him, but didn't have nearly enough steel to rebuild power and the comm console, nor power and a smelter despite having hauled a ton of slag.

On to my 6th attempt!  That last one was frustrating - the comm console is so damn random, it varies wildly every game - but such is life.

You should set up wind turbines for power instead of solar panels.  they're a bit more random but I don't think I've ever seen my solar panels work at even half capacity, even in summer.  In winter you may as well not have them.

Also, a more reliable way to get steel is to research and set up an electric smelter rather than a comms console.  You only have enough steel for one or the other initially.  With the comms console you might get lucky and an early bulk goods trader will come by, but if not you're kinda screwed.  The smelter gaurentees a slow but steady income of steel from all the cargo and escape pods that land nearby.

Other than that, just don't give up!  It took me probably over a dozen false starts before I got a base where I wasn't dying of cold or reduced to eating raw corpses.  All you need is a foothold and you can build your way up from there.