96% success chance doctor failing five out of six operations

Started by Eric, December 29, 2016, 11:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

My level 13 doctor with 100% sight and manipulation, and a 96% surgery success chance, has either killed or maimed five of the six patients she has operated on.

Are surgery failures supposed to be this crazy or is luck just giving me a tremendous middle finger?

14m1337

which type of medicine did you use ?
I read something about these now really affecting success chances of operations. I'm not sure about the exact values, but as far as I remember it was something about 90% with glitterworld medicine, 70% with normal medicine and 30% with herbal medicine, which multiplies with your pawn's success chance.

So if you used herbs, your 5/6 un-success rate would fit quite well: 0.96*0,3=0,288
Quick_Silver - The One And Lonely
My posts may sometimes be filled with (sarcastic) humor - it's up to you to find it out on your own.
Usually drunk on Mondays from 21:00 to 03:00 CEST.

Hieronymous Alloy

the surgery success chance chart is here: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Surgery_Success_Chance

Using glitterworld medicine gives a +30% bonus, so a healthy surgeon with a minimum of skill using glitterworld is virtually guaranteed success. If your surgeon is blind or missing fingers that'll hurt his chances.
My Rimworld guide on steam (updated for A16!): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

OFWG

Quote from: Hieronymous Alloy on December 30, 2016, 11:11:04 AM
the surgery success chance chart is here: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Surgery_Success_Chance

Using glitterworld medicine gives a +30% bonus, so a healthy surgeon with a minimum of skill using glitterworld is virtually guaranteed success. If your surgeon is blind or missing fingers that'll hurt his chances.

That made me laugh, totally stealing for my sig.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

JuicyPVP

My lvl 15 doc with 100% con and manip keeps failing as well. I have a prison hospital-bed with 100% light (sun lamp). To improve success chances I should use better medicine? I feel like the 15 with full ability and 100% light on a hospital bed shouldn't fail every organ harvest attempt (killed 5 prisoner's so far).

Bozobub

Actually, I play on a friend's PC, and this very issue is what's stopping me from buying my own copy :-\.
Thanks, belgord!

JuicyPVP

Quote from: Bozobub on December 30, 2016, 12:19:09 PM
Actually, I play on a friend's PC, and this very issue is what's stopping me from buying my own copy :-\.

Well, I mean its minor for me lol. I grow flake to make silver. Not what I would call game breaking, just kinda sucky I guess. I feel like it may have been altered in A16 (someone confirm?) because people were exploiting it too much? Because the same doc can install bionics on my pawns 100% of the time.

Hieronymous Alloy

Quote from: JuicyPVP on December 30, 2016, 12:10:47 PM
My lvl 15 doc with 100% con and manip keeps failing as well. I have a prison hospital-bed with 100% light (sun lamp). To improve success chances I should use better medicine? I feel like the 15 with full ability and 100% light on a hospital bed shouldn't fail every organ harvest attempt (killed 5 prisoner's so far).

Oddly, light level doesn't matter for surgery chance. (I think it does matter for tending chance and for happiness though). Medical beds just help with recovery, not the surgery.

The surgery calculation is weird but basically all that matters is your surgeon's skill, whether or not the surgeon has working eyes and fingers, whether or not the surgeon has bionic arms (bionic eyes don't help), and the medicine you use.

Harvesting organs can kill prisoners even if it's "successful" if you overdo it -- gotta have at least one kidney in there somewhere. More likely though the prisoners are all dying because they're being fed only herbal medicine and herbal medicine is absolute crap now, medicine is only as good as herbal used to be, and glitterworld is the real stuff.
My Rimworld guide on steam (updated for A16!): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

JuicyPVP

Quote from: Hieronymous Alloy on December 30, 2016, 01:57:55 PM
Quote from: JuicyPVP on December 30, 2016, 12:10:47 PM
herbal medicine and herbal medicine is absolute crap now, medicine is only as good as herbal used to be, and glitterworld is the real stuff.

Then what's the point of it? lol. I will try an uptick to their medicine. Where do I even get glitterworld medicine? Trade exclusive?

Grishnerf

yes trade exclusive.
my last 10 operations with glittermeds = 0 Fails.
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

skullywag

something seems broken here, this doesnt sound like the way it should work. Some of these number are either SERIOUSLY awful RNG or a bug.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Grishnerf

Quote from: skullywag on December 30, 2016, 02:47:42 PM
something seems broken here, this doesnt sound like the way it should work. Some of these number are either SERIOUSLY awful RNG or a bug.

they all used normal medicine, and that got nerfed with last update.
normal medicine modifier is now 70%
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Grishnerf on December 30, 2016, 02:49:36 PM

they all used normal medicine, and that got nerfed with last update.

So is that 70% modifying the chances by making them actually lower? (i.e. 70% of original chance of success)
normal medicine modifier is now 70%

Grishnerf

i dont know the exact formula.
but it is like that.
if you have surgery success Chance 120% and everything perfect (sterile tiles, vital,medbed etc)
using normal medicine wont get you over 100% success Chance.

Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

JuicyPVP

Right. Because my doc installs and operates on my pawns 100% never failed not even minor, but he touches a prisoner and becomes Dexter. It is like there is a penalty for operating on the prisoners?