politics

Started by pmoser, January 01, 2017, 06:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmoser

I don't see this ever being added, so it's not in the suggestions thread.

But wouldn't it be cool if there was more politicking and policy-making between pawns? Like each year they have an election and vote the mayor, or dictatorship, and they vote on certain policies like how much free time vs work time they have, or banning certain drugs, or creating certain laws.

It could even be for certain situations like executing a prisoner, the pawns all vote and if you go against the popular vote they get mood debuffs. There could even be civil war! And pawns would suddenly rebel and fight for the popular regime.

What does everyone else think?

DeathWeasel

Sounds like it would just limit player agency and introduce more frustration that it would be worth. I wouldn't support any change that reduces the amount of control I have over my colony.

shaw357

I'm with DeathWeasel on this one, sounds like you're taking the controller away from the player and handing it to a bunch of half brain dead pawns who would sooner sleep in their cozy bed instead of put out the fire consuming their bedroom.

ZestyLemons

I can't wait until my noble colonists elect themselves mayor/hammerer and ban the sale of wood sculptures, then beat my best social colonist for selling them  :P
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: ZestyLemons on January 02, 2017, 11:40:43 AM
I can't wait until my noble colonists elect themselves mayor/hammerer and ban the sale of wood sculptures, then beat my best social colonist for selling them  :P

This. We are creating colonies (Ty dropped most of the 'survivor' angle and its mostly colony now. Finally. That was some bullshit grey area - and still is. See my OLD poll over survivor vs colonist) Colonies are run by people. I want them to be electing a guy in charge of security, someone in charge of food etc etc. This just might mean that they give some kind of AoE buff to the XP increase of other colonists doing the same job.

Basically anything that makes the pawns feel more like people with stories, instead of army men I order around willy nilly.

SurvivoroftheNoobs

I just elect whoever has the highest social as a "Leader". They do all the important shit trading,recruiting maybe the occasional execution. But i'll be damed if someone tries to make those decisons for me. Colonists can be bitches as it is don't need them becoming politicians nothing would get done ever.

Mr.Cross

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on January 02, 2017, 08:27:24 PM
This. We are creating colonies (Ty dropped most of the 'survivor' angle and its mostly colony now. Finally. That was some bullshit grey area - and still is. See my OLD poll over survivor vs colonist) Colonies are run by people. I want them to be electing a guy in charge of security, someone in charge of food etc etc. This just might mean that they give some kind of AoE buff to the XP increase of other colonists doing the same job.

Basically anything that makes the pawns feel more like people with stories, instead of army men I order around willy nilly.

I must say, I'm hoping that a political segment does get introduced. Now don't get me wrong I'm not hoping to throw the freshly recruited psychoid addicted asshole in place of mayor. But something that say increases production or reduces work time even by a smidge if they are of a good skill in that area while adverse effects with ones with little to no skill are there.

Mind you nothing to change that god like control you have over your pawns colonists. just you know, something like what Mikhal was saying. Adding something to "fill" the game just that little more. I mean after all Tynan does have some of the ground work already set...
Claims to know most things.

Mikhail Reign

Yup - exactly. I wouldn't want to have the control that we have currently taken away, but I would like the colonists to look like they are 'living lives' a little more, rather then just 'doing my bidding'.

Like off the top of my head - a 'leader' could just be the pawn with highest social. Once a week the colonists might have a little meeting - basically a party in game atm - resulting in a buff towards one thing for that week (construction, cooking, shooting, whathaveyou). Maybe that buff only applies in a AoE around the leader? Maybe colony wide?

Once you got enough colonists, they might elect 'subleaders' - basically dudes in charge of specific things. To make it easy they might just be the colonists with the highest level in that trait. Maybe THESE guys give the AoE and the leader gives a colony wide?

Once figured out the actual mechanics of it, the awesome bit would come - social interactions FROM this - maybe when a pawn gets better then another at something, and so takes the subleader role, the orignal pawn might get pissy? Maybe his friends prefered him? Maybe half you colony HATES the guy whos the leader? Maybe the leader gets held responsible for the playeractions (force pawn X to shoot pawn Y, pawn X will feel bad AND blame pawnleader)?

Thyme

I don't think the average colony is big enough for subleaders. Most of the time I have 1 of each cook, constructor, handler, doctor, crafter, warden, 2 growers and several haulers. Only till the end I get more cooks, growers, crafters. Numbers may vary. But having guys responsible for sth will end up being a straight buff for my guys.

However, some kind of rulership in general seems to be interesting to me (so as soon as you hit a population of 10 your colonists want to have a leader). Although, it shouldn't make the game more tedious.
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

Nomsayinbrah

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on January 02, 2017, 08:27:24 PM
Quote from: ZestyLemons on January 02, 2017, 11:40:43 AM

That's actually a great idea to be honest... Would love this.

Also kind of like that democratic side of things - like with the executions. Everyone would have to vote, like a trial, and then you can still decide to go against or for it (but with mood (de)buffs to your decision)

nice idea's!

Anomaly

I love the idea of this but I'm not certain how it should work in game.

For starters, I think we players would need identities in game. What are we anyways that gives us the ability to see the map and give orders?  A sentient remnant of the ship that still tries to help the colonists survive perhaps?

Given such an identity, I could see larger colonies wanting to have some degree of choice.

Headshotkill

Quote from: Anomaly on January 04, 2017, 10:35:18 AM
I love the idea of this but I'm not certain how it should work in game.

For starters, I think we players would need identities in game. What are we anyways that gives us the ability to see the map and give orders?  A sentient remnant of the ship that still tries to help the colonists survive perhaps?

Given such an identity, I could see larger colonies wanting to have some degree of choice.

You're the collective will of the people.

ArguedPiano

This system already exists.

I am the dictator that brutaly forces my pawns to work to exhaustion. Anyone who defies me gets thrown in jail forced to eat nutrient paste made from insect corpses or their dead colleagues.

The system is quite effective.
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.