The plague hit and only one way out...

Started by Panzer, January 04, 2017, 11:17:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzer

So this happened: 2 of my colonists, combarro and rat, become sick with the plague around day 17 and since I chose the tribal start, I only got herbal medicine, also only a lvl 9 doctor.
I order both of them to drop everything and stay in bed, pay close attention to treatments as to keep untreated time to a minimum, yet it seems like rat wont make it, hes 54 years old and the plague progresses faster than his immune system can keep up.
I dont want to lose him because hes an ace cook, and so theres only one way out of this dilemma: opening an ancient danger in the hopes of finding some luciferium.
Luckily, I got some frag grenades and an awful sniper rifle from the second raid, that should be enough to deal with a few mechs. I order the colonists in position, the grenadier in cover and and close to where I will open the ancient shrine, the sniper some distance away, flanking the mechs when they will attack the grenadier.
I order the worker to open up the shrine, and find it empty, to my surprise.

Among some nice artifacts I also find what I was looking for, 8 pills of luciferium. I haul it back at once and feed it to rat, who is in severe pain because the plague went from major to extreme, with immunity progress only at 70%. Plague and immunity are having a neck and neck race until the immunity finally manages to overtake the plague, rat survives with 95% plague progress.
A few days later hes already up and about again, throwing a party, but with only 7 pills left in store and winter around the corner, rats future is uncertain ;D

Quasarrgames

Clever. I didn't know you could find luciferium in old tombs.

Hopefully luciferium is the kind of drug that you don't die from if you stop taking...
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

NeverPire

I disagreed, the lack of luciferium induce continuous berserk rage and eventually death.
In the actual A16, you can't produce luciferium yourself so your poor colonist has really a bad future ahead.

There's no way to get the mechanites (produced by the luciferium) out, ever. Sorry.

However, according to a tweet from Tynan Luciferium could heal permanent wound and reverse ageing symptoms.

http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Luciferium
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

Chaia

Quote from: Quasarrgames on January 05, 2017, 12:09:29 PM
Clever. I didn't know you could find luciferium in old tombs.

Hopefully luciferium is the kind of drug that you don't die from if you stop taking...

Taking luciferium means certain death, sooner or later. But a colonist dying later means another gun on the firing range in case of a raid and a potential meatshield, if you are that desperate.

Deepblade

You could always put him in a cryo sleep casket if he gets close to death. Just be careful, the ancient ones can only be opened from the outside.

GiantSpaceHamster

I had a new colonist arrive with 3 luciferium in his inventory and he already had an addiction. That was a mess waiting to happen. I kept him on the front line until he ran out of Luciferium and then euthanized him for safety. He did not get a nice grave.

Panzer

Bit of an update, the colony is doing fine and about 5 years old now. It was a bit of an issue to supply rat with luciferium in the beginning, but once the cloth production was up and running, I had no problems to acquire enough red pills to keep him going.
Rat is still the chef of the colony, has a bad back by now, but the luciferium healed his arm scar and hes got a bionic arm & leg now, so the bad back doesnt have much of an impact on his work speed. He is even married by now :)

The colony as a whole is doing pretty good, they set up camp in a boreal forest and stayed there ever since.

The main source of income is sewing dusters from leather acquired through hunting or from cloth which is grown during the summer months, with two crafters working there exclusively. A bit of a side income is earned by selling yayo, sometimes a bit of smokeweed, but that is mostly for their own usage.

The colony has also their very own petting zoo, ranging from common muffalo to wargs and some dromedaries that joined,
and even to a rare megasloth, which by now is fully trained, but still can only haul stacks of 75 despite all that carrying capacity.

Im thinking of moving the colony some place else, preferably some place colder, ice sheet would be nice but I fear I cant supply all my animals with food there and I am also a tad bit away from the next ice sheet, moving all my resources will be difficult. Will keep you posted :)