[A16] Rainbeau's Rascally Rabbits

Started by dburgdorf, January 19, 2017, 11:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dburgdorf

Last update: 2/20/2017

"Rascally Rabbits," as you can probably guess from the title, adds... rabbits.

Rabbits are smaller, more social, and more tameable than hares, and are found in warmer climates. You might even start with one as a pet, though admittedly they're rather useless. Brown rabbits can be found in boreal and temperate forests, and grey desert rabbits can be found in arid shrublands and deserts. And then there are the Caerbannog bunnies, which show up occasionally in all of those biomes. Probably the result of some misguided ancient genetic manipulation, the innocent-looking Caerbannog bunny is surprisingly dangerous, with nasty, big, pointy teeth and a vicious streak a mile wide. A generally solitary creature, it should not be underestimated.

Of course, where there are rabbits, there must be carrots, and so "Rascally Rabbits" also adds carrots that you can grow and eat. And you'll be able to cook up a tasty rabbit stew, using rabbit meat, carrots and potatoes.

Finally, the mod adds a few rabbit-themed events:

+ "Beasts of Caerbannog" presents you with a swarm of maneating Caerbannog bunnies. Yes, it's a reskinned (rabbit-skinned?) copy of the default "Maneater Pack" incident. But it uses a custom copy of the incident code, so "Rascally Rabbits" is compatible with other mods, like ZorbaTHut's "Mad Rabbits of Caerbannog," which modify that event.

+ "Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow" sees a herd of rabbits migrating through your territory. (Yeah, I know, rabbits aren't actually migratory.) Tame, hunt or ignore them as you see fit. This incident is based on "Animal Migration" from Ilawz's "More Events and Incidents."

+ "Ravenous Rabbits" infests your garden with hungry, hungry rabbits who'll devour your crops if you let them. This one's based on Nandonalt's excellent "Pests!" mod.

+ "What's Up, Doc?" gifts you with a crashed escape pod, containing not a colonist, but a small stash of supplies and someone's injured pet bunny. (It combines code from the default "Cargo Pod" and "Refugee Pod" incidents.)

- Rainbeau Flambe (dburgdorf)

Steam Workshop Link

Dropbox Link

Compatibility:

"Rascally Rabbits" adds new things, but doesn't change any existing things, so it should be compatible with pretty much any other mod, and you should be able to add it to an existing saved game without trouble. But removing the mod from a game in progress will, of course, likely cause problems or even make the game unplayable.

License:

If you're a modpack maker and want to include "Rascally Rabbits" in your pack, or if you're a modder and want to use "Rascally Rabbits" as the basis of a derivative mod, please feel free to do so. I ask only that you let me know about it.

If you have any (helpful) suggestions for improvement, please let me know!
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Update:

- Added "Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow" and "What's Up, Doc?" incidents.
- Ravenous rabbits are now visually distinctive, because why not?

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Seeker89

Napple

How is compatability with telkir's crop mod that also adds carrots.

dburgdorf

Quote from: Napple on January 24, 2017, 08:54:03 PM
How is compatability with telkir's crop mod that also adds carrots.

As it happens, T's mod was one I used for reference, so I know his mod and mine use the same DefNames for carrots and carrot plants. (There may be very minor differences in the plant stats, but nothing that you'd likely actually notice.) So technically, yes, they'll conflict, but in a good way. Whichever mod is loaded last will overwrite the carrots added by the other, so you'll only have a single "plant carrots" option in the game, but recipes calling for carrots from both mods will still work.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Napple

dburgdorf

Minor update:

- Carrots will sometimes appear in the wild, even if they're not being farmed.

- Added language localization file support.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?