Trade beacon really needs to be ploppable

Started by FreyaMaluk, January 21, 2017, 10:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreyaMaluk

It's just a huuuuuuuugeeee aanoyance that this simple artifact needs to be deconstructed time and time again... This is not a complex artifact, it emits radiotransmissions. Not rocket science. It's like a radio (and radios are portable), so I don't get the purpose behind making this thingy stationary. In challenging maps like sea ice, where materials are scarce and deconstructing is a must, this really takes the extra patience remaining in me.
I now there are mods for that, but it makes no sense that this is not in vanilla.

WereCat88

I am The Primal Mammelon

Lawlzer

Quote from: FreyaMaluk on January 21, 2017, 10:16:15 AM
It's just a huuuuuuuugeeee aanoyance that this simple artifact needs to be deconstructed time and time again... This is not a complex artifact, it emits radiotransmissions. Not rocket science. It's like a radio (and radios are portable), so I don't get the purpose behind making this thingy stationary. In challenging maps like sea ice, where materials are scarce and deconstructing is a must, this really takes the extra patience remaining in me.
I now there are mods for that, but it makes no sense that this is not in vanilla.
In sea ice, you should never deconstruct stuff, frist of all, besides maybe walls if you are/have expanded; plan for the future.
If you could reinstall trade beacons, nothing stops you from plopping it near a siege, or just moving it around multiple times, cheesing the fk out of everything. (Place it outside near a drop pod, sell everything, put the beacon back in your base, buy back everything if you want) etc.

WereCat88

Trade beacons require power to run so it wouldn't be OP to have the ability to move them, also if you do get a raid and you can put the beacon to trade all the items there, there still may not be a trader to sell to.
I am The Primal Mammelon

milon

Quote from: WereCat88 on January 25, 2017, 02:47:06 PM
Shouldn't this be in Suggestions?

It seems more like a Discussion at this point, so no, not yet.

FreyaMaluk

Quote from: Lawlzer on January 30, 2017, 02:11:19 PM
In sea ice, you should never deconstruct stuff, frist of all, besides maybe walls if you are/have expanded; plan for the future.
If you could reinstall trade beacons, nothing stops you from plopping it near a siege, or just moving it around multiple times, cheesing the fk out of everything. (Place it outside near a drop pod, sell everything, put the beacon back in your base, buy back everything if you want) etc.

I take from your answer that you have never tried the sea ice challenge, have you?
Permanent Cold Snap, no traders, no calling for traders, no visiting traders, no visitors for that matter. Deconstructing is an essential part of this challenge at the beginning, cuz you are limited in terms of materials and there is no way you can influence the frequency of trade ships (you cannot call for trader ships yet).
Besides, you cannot "cheese the fuck out of that," because you need power to run a trader beacon. It's not like randomly using every free space in the map for that anyway. Or do yo extend you power grid to every corner of your map? I don't think so.

sadpickle

+1 to the sentiment. I think this should apply to a number of things, including production benches and moisture pumps. I cannot see the rationale for being unable to move a butcher's table, or a research bench. Maybe not crematoriums and refineries, these tend to be enormously heavy structures or too complex to move once assembled. Likewise, the component assembly bench is quite large and probably quite heavy; ditto the nutrient dispenser. Everything else is essentially furniture, and should be movable. Trade beacons are most egregious example.

There is a mod that does allow the moving of these.

FreyaMaluk

Quote from: sadpickle on January 30, 2017, 06:38:01 PM
+1 to the sentiment. I think this should apply to a number of things, including production benches and moisture pumps. I cannot see the rationale for being unable to move a butcher's table, or a research bench. Maybe not crematoriums and refineries, these tend to be enormously heavy structures or too complex to move once assembled. Likewise, the component assembly bench is quite large and probably quite heavy; ditto the nutrient dispenser. Everything else is essentially furniture, and should be movable. Trade beacons are most egregious example.

There is a mod that does allow the moving of these.

I know we have mods for that and I agree with other structures being movable, but I just want to focus on the trade beacon for now...
This is a particular device that demands attention, because it is just to simple to be anchored to the floor. This needs to be in vanilla, because there is no reason why it shouldn't be.

hoffmale

Some people in here seem to miss that you can replant charged batteries to power a trade beacon "in the wild". Since the more "exploity" usages don't need the trade beacon powered for too long, that fixes this.

OTOH, I honestly don't see why plopping trade beacons on drop pods/freshly mined resources/... would be that different compared to just placing a stockpile zone there when a trader comes for a visit...

FreyaMaluk

[/quote]
I take from your answer that you have never tried the sea ice challenge, have you?
Permanent Cold Snap, no traders, no calling for traders, no visiting traders, no visitors for that matter. Deconstructing is an essential part of this challenge at the beginning, cuz you are limited in terms of materials and there is no way you can influence the frequency of trade ships (you cannot call for trader ships yet).
[/quote]

Ragnarok

The game is still in Alpha so there will be plenty of changes and balances and whatnot, but I do agree that some more things should be movable, like trade beacons, and someone else mentioned work benches too, but bigger things shouldn't be movable. Maybe have what is and is not movable be based on size? Objects that take up 1-3 spaces should be movable (and maybe 4 spots) while anything 6+ spaces shouldn't be movable. If you can move a double bed why can't you move a work bench or trade beacon?

Anyways, Alpha, good idea to make suggestions for the vanilla version. Things can be overlooked by the programmers. It may not be intentionally there to annoy people, just something that was put in and made that way from like Alpha 2 and just never got around to making any changes to that particular thing because there's so many other things to work on.

Lawlzer

Quote from: FreyaMaluk on January 30, 2017, 04:31:18 PM

Besides, you cannot "cheese the fuck out of that," because you need power to run a trader beacon. It's not like randomly using every free space in the map for that anyway. Or do yo extend you power grid to every corner of your map? I don't think so.

Nope, I've done the Sea Ice challenge, you get orbital traders, and normal traders, thwy just usually die before getting to you. Along with most the raiders, especially sieges, LOL.
You can either use an electric smelter, or an orbital trade beacon and pray for a bulk goods trader, to sell human meat with. Electric smelter is slow, orbital trade beacon is RNG. The first thing you do, make a 4x3 house out of silver, a silver bed for mood boost, a campfire, and a research bench, wait inside the house, then make a heater with a solar panel and battery (no wires), instantly deconstruct the campfire for the little bit of wood. Then, you make either the trade beacon, or research an electric smelter. Then, research hydroponics, make hydroponics after getting steel, then yeah.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Ragnarok on January 31, 2017, 10:22:26 AM
The game is still in Alpha so there will be plenty of changes and balances and whatnot, but I do agree that some more things should be movable, like trade beacons, and someone else mentioned work benches too, but bigger things shouldn't be movable. Maybe have what is and is not movable be based on size? Objects that take up 1-3 spaces should be movable (and maybe 4 spots) while anything 6+ spaces shouldn't be movable. If you can move a double bed why can't you move a work bench or trade beacon?

Anyways, Alpha, good idea to make suggestions for the vanilla version. Things can be overlooked by the programmers. It may not be intentionally there to annoy people, just something that was put in and made that way from like Alpha 2 and just never got around to making any changes to that particular thing because there's so many other things to work on.

You could always just assign a work value to moving objects.  Something like a smelting furnace could take substantially more time to re-place than it did to build in the first place.  Smaller things would be near-instant like now.  It would be a simple abstraction for "actually it's kind of difficult to move a constructed double-bed the length of several buildings", though how long is too long is worth debate given the time scaling in the game overall.

Tynan

I agree, it should be reinstallable. I'll make that happen. Thanks.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

FreyaMaluk

Quote from: Lawlzer on January 31, 2017, 01:22:08 PM
Quote from: FreyaMaluk on January 30, 2017, 04:31:18 PM

Nope, I've done the Sea Ice challenge, you get orbital traders, and normal traders, thwy just usually die before getting to you. Along with most the raiders, especially sieges, LOL.
You can either use an electric smelter, or an orbital trade beacon and pray for a bulk goods trader, to sell human meat with. Electric smelter is slow, orbital trade beacon is RNG. The first thing you do, make a 4x3 house out of silver, a silver bed for mood boost, a campfire, and a research bench, wait inside the house, then make a heater with a solar panel and battery (no wires), instantly deconstruct the campfire for the little bit of wood. Then, you make either the trade beacon, or research an electric smelter. Then, research hydroponics, make hydroponics after getting steel, then yeah.

You may have done this challenge, but maybe not the same one or maybe? at an earlier date (I mean the Rhadamant one, permanent cold snap). Right now when you call for traders, they refuse to come. When you call for traders now, there is a message displayed: bad weather. In my almost 3 years in my sea ice base I haven't seen one trader or visitor (not even dead, believe me, I'd have noticed). 
And this post is not about me asking for advice for the Sea Ice Challenge. My base is successful (more than 3 years, more food I can eat, etc) ... It's about this suggestion: trade beacons should be ploppable... nothing more, nothing less...