So i did a little experiment

Started by LaEsmeralda, January 28, 2017, 10:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaEsmeralda

Don't you ever think to yourself "How can it be that these average, random people are capable of building a colony, working so hard and for so long and not cracking under the pressure of their situation and the pain of being so far away from their home? I surely couldn't do something like that...

...could i?".

So well, one day i decided to find that out: if i, as an average middle-class gamer chick, could make it through in a Rimworld. With a little help from the Prepare Carefully and Additional Traits mods, i modeled a colonist after me. With a name, age, looks, background, traits and abilities (okay maybe i was a bit generous with those lol) that mostly resemble mine.

http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/CauseCrazyIsPerfect/media/20170128204135_1_zps3gz1qfpz.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

(btw sorry for putting a link and not the actual image, the insert image function doesn't seem to work with my link... or maybe i just don't know how to use it idk)

Done with that, i chose Cassandra Classic Some Challenge Permadeath mode, selected some few resources, added in a yorkshire terrier and a cat as my pets (because those are my real-life pets lol), and just jumped straight into the challenge.

On the fourth day a maddened rat bit me, the wound got infected and i suffered a slow, painful death.

I've officially failed at life.

New_Roman

First off I love the idea, and it takes some true character to not make a creation modeled after you into some deity like figure. I might have to try this; although I am afraid of this turning into something like that movie Stay Alive  ;D.

LaEsmeralda

Thanks, i guess low self-esteem (?) stopped me from making my pawn a Mary Sue lol. As for the challenge, i'd love to see you trying it out! :P

Ukas

Maybe great minds think alike hehehe. I did do similar for the current game, and have also pretty strict house rules, so I had my character with seven passions (major in shooting, construction & art, minor in animal, growing, medical and construction). In reality I have no interest to medical, so that was my cheat. To balance it I left cooking out, and I like cooking. Skills ranged from 1 to 5, most of them were 2 or 3. I'd like to think it was a character development choice, but I fear I might have been just... honest! :D

What was the coolest thing: there was a siege (relationship), and when I looked one of the raiders was my characters ingame father. His name was the exact English version of my RL father's name. So, being somewhat superstitious, I had to be really careful to micro my counterattack, to leave my father unharmed. How RNG works, it never bores me! :D

LaEsmeralda

Really? He had the same name than your real dad? Well now i'm getting scared...

Thyme

Quote from: LaEsmeralda on January 28, 2017, 10:55:23 PM
[...] and not cracking under the pressure of their situation [...]

My pawns break all the time. Tell me more about how you do it!

*not permanently, but pretty much on a regular basis. It has nothing to do with butchering raiders, as I do that in batches to avoid the debuff.
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

PotatoeTater

We have a facebook group of a bunch of us doing a playthrough together, our fearless leader modeled all of us and we all make important decisions together. It's working out well.
Life is Strange

SilentP

I did the same thing and made pawns of myself and my wife.  We ate our dog after it was killed by a mountain lion.  :'(

The pawns are now divorced, living in a cave base. 

My wife's pawn has the divorced debuff while my pawn seems to be making the circuit through all of the ladies in the base.  I think the social skill on my pawn is a bit too high.