A16 [WIPproto] Grid Takeoff and Landing: Suborbital jump for ship with interiors

Started by Houkime, January 29, 2017, 05:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragoon

Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Goldenpotatoes

Considering it already takes stock of everything within the ship's area, would it be possible to have them work like a regular caravan where you can land directly on a friendly outpost to trade, like with on-foot travel? It's not exactly a huge issue at the moment considering the work-around is just landing a tile next to them and bringing what you want to sell on-foot, but it'd be nice to just land on the tile, sell whatever you want, then fly back.

Houkime

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on February 09, 2017, 08:13:08 PM
Considering it already takes stock of everything within the ship's area, would it be possible to have them work like a regular caravan where you can land directly on a friendly outpost to trade, like with on-foot travel? It's not exactly a huge issue at the moment considering the work-around is just landing a tile next to them and bringing what you want to sell on-foot, but it'd be nice to just land on the tile, sell whatever you want, then fly back.

I've thought about it and will try to do it sometime soon. Cannot guarantee result yet.

dareddevil7

phinky

Can confirm it appears to work mostly fine with the "[sd] spaceship" mod which adds to the coolness factor. Also after testing with a very large ship everything worked out for the first five or so jumps, but it eventually destroyed itself upon spawning on its final. Perhaps this happens when it can't find a valid landing zone? Anyways sweet project. Hope you manage to get it completed.

Hydromancerx

Yeah i was thinking about that mod combined with this one. Nice ship!

Houkime

Quote from: phinky on February 13, 2017, 04:22:43 PM
Can confirm it appears to work mostly fine with the "[sd] spaceship" mod which adds to the coolness factor. Also after testing with a very large ship everything worked out for the first five or so jumps, but it eventually destroyed itself upon spawning on its final. Perhaps this happens when it can't find a valid landing zone? Anyways sweet project. Hope you manage to get it completed.

Hmmm. Destroyed on spawn after some jumps?
Could you please be more specific?
How large was it and, most importantly, where did you try to land it (what biome) and did you have any errors in the log?
Because I programmed it to throw a special error like "couldn't find landing zone" in this very situation.

I already invented how to cope with this problem in the future and hopefully how to make trading-without-landing as well, but this will take a while... because quite a major change in everything.

BTW progress update on animation:
Flying floors v.0

uv map a bit off though.

Houkime

Progress: now with some walls and proper uv.

However, fine texture of walls is not displayed. Haven't found how to do it yet.

phinky

Was just about to reload the save, but I've run into an unrelated problem with steam. May be a while before I can get back with you.

Houkime

Ok, some dev update (not downloadable right now because bugs need fixing first)

Houkime

For the first time in Rimworld!
Edging shadows during flight! (used random generator this time for technology demonstration)

Some tweaking in precedence and altitude is needed though...

TerrorThomasCao

Houkime

First working thing was done in about five or so days during vacation.
Then about 2 hours to fix beds and stuff (did it early in the morning before i had to go).
Now just experimenting with stuff from time to time to cope with chronical depression.
Most time-taking was to wrap head around specific rimworld shaders and stuff.
Spent an infuriating weekend (because *beep* UnityScript API prohibits you from obtaining virtually any info on shaders during runtime and UnityEdior functions for that are not reproducible because Unity guys use internal calls of extern functions to hide actual code) trying to hack into stuff.

Ok, another screenshot.
Now things start to behave finally.
Finer mesh for shadows with special triangles is needed though.

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.