Extreme Desert Challenge

Started by XeoNovaDan, January 30, 2017, 01:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taha

QuoteI'm not really sure where to go from here.  I guess transport pods are the only way out of here, but getting enough fuel is going to be a problem.   I wish the storyteller would stop throwing new colonists at me.

You know you can make fuel from human meat, right?

As in "new colonists chopping humanlikes till they die from heat".
Then use the meat pieces to make fuel.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Thyme on February 03, 2017, 02:52:29 AM
Quote from: TheMeInTeam on February 02, 2017, 01:45:14 PM
Quote from: CptEgo on February 02, 2017, 12:07:05 PM
I have a question related to this, what would be the best way to survive a cold map? [...]
Before you get hydroponics + other advanced tech, you're stuck with cannibalism or trade.
You might want to have a look at the Sea Ice Community Challenge. I've learned a lot from reading it and will try that soon. It covers all the neccessary things for survival: Base design, heating, priorities of stuff, ...

Super cold special-settings sea ice is different from priorities on ice sheet, even more so if the latter is tribal.

In that challenge (and this one) you will die very quickly w/o immediately prioritizing shelter.  On a standard ice sheet start you can go entire first night outdoors in starting clothing, be it synthread or tribal garb, and live through it.  Very different priority and urgency.

I made my own thread about tribal ice sheet starts on extreme difficulty on reddit, reasoned out the challenges.  Not many comments offered new information, but the gist is until you can actually grow food, you have to abuse trade, rely on cannibalism, or repeatedly raid for supplies/leave to regenerate them. 

For new arrivals tech with rich explorer story, you can gain the ability to grow food before you exhaust your supply.  For other starts in the ice, food is your one true bottleneck priority and if you don't immediately address it as a source, long before hydroponics are possible, you will die.

eadras

Quote from: taha on February 03, 2017, 09:27:48 AM
You know you can make fuel from human meat, right?

As in "new colonists chopping humanlikes till they die from heat".
Then use the meat pieces to make fuel.

I did not know that.  I actually haven't used transport pods or fuel production yet, although I have them set up in my other colony.  Thanks for the tip. 

eadras

Well, I just found out that the transport pods have a max range of 66 tiles.  Even if we can load enough steel and fuel for a multi-launch, that isn't going to get us to the journey destination or the north pole (where temps are almost earth-like, albeit Sahara desert conditions).  So I guess the goal is building a spaceship.  Researching deep drilling now, since we'll need plasteel and uranium.  We had another thrumbo, some large and hilarious tribal raids that all died from the heat, and one very scary solar flare.  A character named Rose fell in an escape pod, so we rescued her, and she joined up.  Overall the challenge and danger seem to have passed, as raids are mostly futile unless they rush immediately, and we have geothermal now which stabilized the power situation.  It's just a grind to build the spaceship now.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Zhentar

Quote from: eadras on February 01, 2017, 03:42:10 PM
Day 1:  One door and a roof for the nearby ruin.  One solar panel, two AC units, and one battery.  That's what's required to survive the first day in hell.  Doesn't sound too difficult?  Well, it all has to be finished by 1pm, or you'll collapse from heat stroke.  Good luck, and don't fail construction on anything.  (Lumi really could have had at least 5 construction - 3 is just sadistic).

Wow, you weren't kidding about the construction failure. Failed on the door, and Lumi ended up collapsing 3/4s of the way through building the second cooler.

Zhentar

Day 21: Still have ~4 days of food. Have been lazily setting up a freezer; I'll probably finish it & a stove tomorrow. Muffalo wool fell from the sky; a couple muffalo wool cowboy hats will make the temperature a bit easier to deal with.

Kind of disappointed with how easy it's been so far. I've had a couple bouts of carelessness; both colonists have had to be rescued twice, but with the slow progression of the heat stroke and reasonable movement speeds, neither has come close to death.

DanielCoffey

eadras - excuse the question but do you not get heat leakage through the diagonal below the four coolers in the north bedroom with the comms equipment?
Caselabs S8 : Intel 7700K 5.0GHz 1.30V / 32Gb DDR4 3000 / ASUS 780 Ti 3Gb 1274 boost, 7800 mem / Samsung 850 Pro 256Gb, 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb / Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440 / Corsair AX860I / APC SMT1000I / Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit

jmababa

My a15 colony last year survived like forever this is the easiest biome extreme desert to survive on no sickness, no winter but you'll have weired shapped farms on side of hills or mountains like i did way back. Doing Sea Ice with fishing mod very easy biome even caveworld biome mod is harder than sea ice and extreme desert and even temperate forest got harder with higher chance of sicknewss in a16. In A15 it was lower chance

jmababa

Quote from: Zhentar on February 04, 2017, 02:09:04 AM
Day 21: Still have ~4 days of food. Have been lazily setting up a freezer; I'll probably finish it & a stove tomorrow. Muffalo wool fell from the sky; a couple muffalo wool cowboy hats will make the temperature a bit easier to deal with.

Kind of disappointed with how easy it's been so far. I've had a couple bouts of carelessness; both colonists have had to be rescued twice, but with the slow progression of the heat stroke and reasonable movement speeds, neither has come close to death.

Try farming outdoors on side of mountains you'll have more food than that . I can see rich soil on your pic on side of mountain

taha

Try farming outdoors on side of mountains you'll have more food than that . I can see rich soil on your pic on side of mountain

Dude, the main idea is to play the challenge in vanilla game, no mods. Do you even read the posts? As for your advice, Is 38 C inside under mountain with cooler, that means ~75 C outside. Farming outdoors is not an option.

Zhentar

75C? No, it's 109C outside.

I would've gone for gravel patch potatoes if there's been a larger gravel patch next to an overhead mountain area. But there wasn't and I was making good progress on research (I only had enough clothes for one colonist to leave the starting hut, so Lumi was researching all day long) so I picked the overhead mountain for easier cooling and solar flare safety.

Sola

First thoughts:
-3 construction is garbage.  It takes far too long to load the world to simply die to RNG.

Day 1: Fail to construct door.
Fail to construct cooler.
Fail to construct solar generator.
Lumi collects heatstroke and dies on day one.  That 13% fail chance feels quite a bit higher than the game lets on.

Run 2:
managed to finish a solar generator, two coolers, and a door without failing to construct anything.  The room begins cooling off  just as Lumi collapses.  Everything's kosher, though, as she gets back up without any serious injury, while the room hits a habitable temperature.

Forgot to make a battery, though, and I let her run around outside to haul some things.  She does not survive the night.

Run 3:
Fail to construct solar generator, Lumi gets cooked on first day.

Run 4:
Day 1, 7th of "winter": Finally, everything built the first time.
Instead of building a door, Lumi gets boxed in a steel room and simply idles the first night.

Day 2: Lumi gettin' her craft on.  All the rocks around serving for a really good source of building materials.

Day 4: Hour 15, working on expanding my house, collect 55% heatstroke, aaaaaand the battery breaks down.  Forbid the doors and pray!  Lumi does not survive the night.

Run 5: Fail to construct solar generator.  Lumi dies.

Run 6: Fail to construct cooler and silver wall.  Lumi dies.

Run 7: Fail to construct battery.  Run inside and hope it's cool enough to survive the first night.  It's not.

Run 8:

I'm done with this challenge.  I've spent more time waiting for the game to load than I have actually playing.
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

eadras

Quote from: DanielCoffey on February 04, 2017, 02:25:44 AM
eadras - excuse the question but do you not get heat leakage through the diagonal below the four coolers in the north bedroom with the comms equipment?

It's my understanding that heat doesn't leak diagonally, but I could be wrong.  It doesn't look great, but 4th cooler was added in as the temperature increased and I need more cooling.

My colony is still alive, over a year in.  The temperature has steadily increased, with daytime highs in the 250-255F range, and nighttime lows only reaching 230ish.  We have 6 people now, and we've had one rough raid from pirate sappers, and several challenging mechanoid groups.  Ratten survived the plague with some help from penocycline we got out of a drop pod.  It's been well over a year since the last trade ship passed by (the pirate ship that had nothing I wanted), which has prevented me from starting work on the spaceship, but the tech is coming along nicely.

XeoNovaDan

Just popping in to say thanks to those who are participating in this challenge so far!

Plenty of discussion going on, stories unfolding (as is the point of RimWorld), and yeah... keep surviving!
1,001 views too, as soon as I noticed!

Even stories of the climate cycle unfolding... 122°C temperatures are certainly no joke if you're out in the elements, as even camelhair dusters and cowboy hats will struggle to protect you from that, if normal or worse quality.

eadras

Yeah the temps are unreal.  Forays out of the base have to be kept to a minimum.  I had to rescue the nudist several times when she wandered off to haul something when I wasn't looking...  my living area didn't turn out well, it is way too large and wastes a lot of energy.  I wasn't anticipating the temps ramping up to such extremes.  Here's a photo of the pirate sappers in my base.