This is 3000+ years from now and we're still using projectile weapons?

Started by KingKnee, February 03, 2017, 12:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

NagaPrince

Quote from: SpaceDorf on February 08, 2017, 06:12:35 PM
The russian AK-47, the american A14 and the german G3 were basically the same rifle.
Clip fed, recoil loaded, 7.62mm rifles, the russian 7.62x54 is a bit longer than the nato 7.62x51
thats it .. so yes the standard assault rifle just looks like that.

Those three rifles look extremely different, have different philosophies behind them, made with different materials in different parts at least, and are from different eras. Your argument isn't very good, and honestly comes off a bit defensive as if I offended you. The Fedorov Avtomat looks barely like an AK-47 yet is an assault rifle; there's countless assault rifles in existence and all look shockingly different, such as an STG45 or the XM8. Your talking about Earth's assault rifles, not Rimworld's. Not Glitterworld #34, #189, or Urbworld 02# in the sector furthest from the Milky Way's center, closest to the Andromeda galaxy, whom the colonists came from approximately several hundred years earlier, where no industrial factory on "Urbworld 02#" has Earthling blueprints, which seceded from etc, etc, etc. That's my example, that's my point.

I figured the game could've been a bit more creative in that department in "making up" the weapons. It's not a big deal, but only disappointing aspect of the game. I mean, the "Survival Rifle" is meant to be based on a Lee Enfield. Imagine how many of those exist in production in the year 5,000. I like how the Charge Rifle looks though.

Quote from: SpaceDorfLMG means Light Machine Gun and is not a bound to a time.
There are also MMG's and HMG's, medium and heavy MG's

I know what it means, that's why I referred to it as an LMG, like the games Wikipedia states it is. I'm aware
of all this, I know some history too.

QuoteYou might have confused it with the Browning 1918 which was the american LMG of WW1 and 2
or the MG 08/15 or MG 34 of the German Army.
Both Designs are with some modifications to ammunition types nearly unchanged in use today.

The LMG's graphic is nowhere near the Browning 1918, more like the Lewis Gun.

http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/LMG

QuoteConcerning Melee, rename the gladius to short sword and be done with it.

Maybe we should back down from nitpicking and say something more constructive ..

You know, you think someone with that much of a post count would be a bit more friendly on the forum they frequent,
I hope your not a moderator because, you don't deserve to be one lol. Since when did your opinion suddenly become more
valuable than mine, someone new here? Think before you say something, it'll do you good in life.

Mikhail Reign

The LMG is a DP28 - a gun that is woefully outdated NOW.

I don't get how everyone sides steps the issue that the in game guns are all 20th century guns. Not similar. They ARE those guns. Before an old update they WERE called their 20th century name.

I mean it's not like we all drive T-Model Fords.

NagaPrince

Good to know, thought I was pretty close.

I don't know what the conversation has been about these prior pages, except 40K.

That was half my point, I was just expecting unique artwork like the Charge Rifle for everything but looks similar to our stuff, for a game that's as far away from Earth as possible.

I'm honestly waiting on them to implement water into the mix.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: NagaPrince on February 08, 2017, 06:59:00 PM

You know, you think someone with that much of a post count would be a bit more friendly on the forum they frequent,
I hope your not a moderator because, you don't deserve to be one lol. Since when did your opinion suddenly become more
valuable than mine, someone new here? Think before you say something, it'll do you good in life.

Nope I am not a mod .. I only frequent the forums every few weeks or so, when I am playing Rimworld at the time.

And I am sorry if I offended you.
You are right, I get a bit harsh when I feel like an argument is getting stupid.

Before everyone gets offended by that. Let me clarify.

The thread started out from "why there no pew pew laser ?"
got heated over "guns are better because of science"
changed to "in 40k there is only guns .. "
and is now "the assault rifle is this gun, because I know better"

What I wanted to say is, "Please everybody stop trying to be more right about something trivial"

and change the direction of the thread into

"Hey Look, if we apply the rule of cool, which kind of weapons would actually add something to rimworld ? "

Could you agree on that ?
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Mikhail Reign

I'd like to say that the 40k tangent was completely unintended, and pointless. I tried to use it as a passing example, and someone else wanted to tell me how much they knew about 40k..... Final shot tho - auto pistols, stubbers etc (20th C guns) are like.... the WORST weapons in that game. They are stuff guardsmen laugh at

Also the assist rifle isn't an M16 because I know better. It's an M16 because
A: it looks like one, but more importantly because
B: up until a few Alphas ago it was CALLED M16. In game. All the other weapons had their real names too. Before the Machine Pistol was a Machine Pistol it was a PDW. Before that it was just called UZI. Before the Survival Rifle was called that, it was called a Lee-Enfield. In game.

Anyway, back on point.

Quote from: SpaceDorf on February 09, 2017, 06:08:27 AM
"Hey Look, if we apply the rule of cool, which kind of weapons would actually add something to rimworld ? "

Like I said before - some kinda appropriate blend of current and future tech. Something that looks like it was made on a Rimworld from steel I chiseled out of a mountain. Something with a bit of flavour.

I'm a massive fan of the 'Western' naming themes. Completely unstandardized, and produced without a production line.

Real: Single Action Army, SAA, Model P, Peacemaker, M1873
Fictional: Moses Brothers Self-Defense Engine Frontier Model B

Firefly really knew how to hit the nail on the head when it came to getting the theme right. I mean even the ship embodied a horse (look at it from profile - the cockpit is the head and the panels that come out are the ears).

So yeah - some kinda leaver action powered railgun to replace the survival rifle? A "Emily Chesterfield Rotation Railgun M2887"?

Some kind of Gattling gun inspired crank powered energy weapon?

A 2 shot plasma gun? A "12KW, double rail Rimington Special"

taha

I really want a "+/-" button for posts. Some of the arguments here deserved extra credit.

CiceroThePoet

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on February 09, 2017, 11:03:07 AM
I'd like to say that the 40k tangent was completely unintended, and pointless. I tried to use it as a passing example, and someone else wanted to tell me how much they knew about 40k..... Final shot tho - auto pistols, stubbers etc (20th C guns) are like.... the WORST weapons in that game. They are stuff guardsmen laugh at

Also the assist rifle isn't an M16 because I know better. It's an M16 because
A: it looks like one, but more importantly because
B: up until a few Alphas ago it was CALLED M16. In game. All the other weapons had their real names too. Before the Machine Pistol was a Machine Pistol it was a PDW. Before that it was just called UZI. Before the Survival Rifle was called that, it was called a Lee-Enfield. In game.

Anyway, back on point.

Like I said before - some kinda appropriate blend of current and future tech. Something that looks like it was made on a Rimworld from steel I chiseled out of a mountain. Something with a bit of flavour.

I'm a massive fan of the 'Western' naming themes. Completely unstandardized, and produced without a production line.

Real: Single Action Army, SAA, Model P, Peacemaker, M1873
Fictional: Moses Brothers Self-Defense Engine Frontier Model B

Firefly really knew how to hit the nail on the head when it came to getting the theme right. I mean even the ship embodied a horse (look at it from profile - the cockpit is the head and the panels that come out are the ears).

So yeah - some kinda leaver action powered railgun to replace the survival rifle? A "Emily Chesterfield Rotation Railgun M2887"?

Some kind of Gattling gun inspired crank powered energy weapon?

A 2 shot plasma gun? A "12KW, double rail Rimington Special"

While I disagreed with every argument you made up until this point, something amazing just came out of this.

Randomly generated weapon brandnames.

"Orangezebras Normal Rifle."
"Megafauna Materwork Shotgun"
"Raider's Surprise Awful Wooden Shiv"

or... something to that effect, you get the idea.

NagaPrince

Quote from: NagaPrince on February 08, 2017, 06:59:00 PM

Nope I am not a mod .. I only frequent the forums every few weeks or so, when I am playing Rimworld at the time.

And I am sorry if I offended you.
You are right, I get a bit harsh when I feel like an argument is getting stupid.

Before everyone gets offended by that. Let me clarify.

The thread started out from "why there no pew pew laser ?"
got heated over "guns are better because of science"
changed to "in 40k there is only guns .. "
and is now "the assault rifle is this gun, because I know better"

What I wanted to say is, "Please everybody stop trying to be more right about something trivial"

and change the direction of the thread into

Could you agree on that ?

I don't care anymore it doesn't bother me, I just don't understand blatant negativity.

I understand entirely where your coming from, it was just my first post in here and at a certain length I see no point reading after the first 2-3 pages. I just wanted to chime in that I think the game is fantastic, and I noticed how odd it is seeing Earthling guns deep enough into the future where it'd be cooler if they just made unique looking 20th century stuff. Guess I'll look for a modification for that.

Lightzy

Projectile weapons are the best!

In space you can't beat projectile weapons. you can accelerate projectiles to such speed where their impact will be insanely explosive because of the lack of drag :)

Not light speed unfortunately but still very good :)

Bozobub

The main problem with any kinetic weapon in space, as opposed to missiles or energy weapons, is that they have recoil.  In fact, any gun that uses a physical round makes for a rather good "rocket" motor, so to speak.  Emergency recovery "rockets" (used when spacewalk maneuver systems fail catastrophically) are essentially guns, gas pistols, more specifically ^^ .

It probably wouldn't be too difficult for a really massive object, such as a spaceship, to bleed off a bit of energy to fire some sort of KEW (Kinetic Energy Weapon), but this could be really problematic for a human-sized user, or for that matter a station.  It's probably not a great idea to deorbit your space station, every time you pull the trigger, or splatter yourself across the nearest bulkhead ::).
Thanks, belgord!

cultist

I think the use of old-timey guns is because of the game's Firefly inspirations. Firefly mixes 19th century America (cowboys) with sci-fi, which is a weird but wonderful combo. It means that you see revolvers and rifles (and horses) alongside laser/energy weapons, much like in Rimworld.

b0rsuk

Okay, so theoretically energy weapons could have great power without murderous recoil. What enemies could this be useful against ? Centipedes and megaspiders ?

cultist: projectile weapons in sci-fi Firefly might seem unusual, but at least they made the setting different.

Bozobub

Again, the charge rifle IS an energy weapon; it's a small particle accelerator.  It also has reasonably believable comparable range, vs. ballistic/kinetic weapons, in atmosphere :) .

And yes, they're useful vs. centipedes and megaspiders, as most of us probably know.
Thanks, belgord!

Boston

Quote from: b0rsuk on February 11, 2017, 12:12:27 PM
Okay, so theoretically energy weapons could have great power without murderous recoil. What enemies could this be useful against ? Centipedes and megaspiders ?

cultist: projectile weapons in sci-fi Firefly might seem unusual, but at least they made the setting different.

Not really. It depends on the power source.

Having a power source small enough to be used as "ammunition" for a rifle-sized DEW would mean the energy weapon would have about the same "power" as an equivalently-sized ballistic firearm.

Going back to WH40k, lasguns (which aren't actually lasers, more particle accelerators) and autoguns (21st century firearms) deal the same damage, and have the same range. They are pretty much identical in every respect, except for logistics (lasweaponry is powered by "charge packs", described as liquid-metal batteries in one of the books, and capable of recharging via electricity or even heat), which is the main reason they replaced autoweapons in most militaries. Planetary Defense Forces, however, still use Autoweapons a large portion of the time.

Larger lasweapons have larger charge packs, and deal more damage.  Lascannons (anti-tank weapons) and multi-lasers (machine-gun equivalents) have charge packs described as being the size of car batteries.