Project K9: Bringing dogs and dog breeding to RimWorld

Started by Ramsis, April 14, 2014, 07:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you like to see Dogs in RimWorld?

Mhm! Love dem' dogs!
45 (59.2%)
Nah; not a huge fan of dogs.
4 (5.3%)
Sure but let's shoot for more pet types down the line!
27 (35.5%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Ramsis

Edit: Wonderful news! Rhopunzel has agreed to help out with the initial art needs when she has spare time! Oh this is going to be a wonderful project :D

Howdy folks! I'm just a random poster here on the forums and while I sit around poking and prodding through the forums I thought "hell, this modding thing isn't so difficult!" This was then followed by "oh crap I have 70-80 hour work weeks!"

So here is my proposed plan. I would like to know if we have any aspiring modders on this Sub that might be interested in forming a modding team. The overall goal will to just make mods that are fun or add things to the game that really just sing well with the system Ty has already given us! Looking for a batch of friendly people though as friendly teams are successful teams. I will be taking over the group as the leader and taskmanager and for those who are voice inclined I do have a Teamspeak available. We will also have a Skype group active.

What we need:
Coders
Artists
Idea people!

Now onto our first goal in the team; Project K9!
Dogs have been a staple part of human existence for thousands of years and as we pluck through our share of Muffalo, rabid squirrels, and boomrats I question where man's best friend is hiding in the fray. With Project K9 the goal will be to bring in a new animal that can be trained to have functions. This won't just be another animal that just sits there being stupid, we're talking an animal that is pretty much a colonist but with different bouts of functionality.

Dog Breeding: Raise them from a puppy to an adult and you have yourself a cute little beast that is ready for training and helping the colony.

Dog Training: This is where it gets interesting. Through the investment of researchers, take a dog and give it the ability to learn tasks that colonists are already capable of! Train your dog to haul, train your dog to doctor, train your dog to hunt, etc! No, your dog will not be a firefighter but it can be a damn fine melee fighter!

New Furniture: A dog has to have a place to call it's own! Build a kennel out of new walls to keep puppies from going too far. A dog bed is great for inside the base where it works like a super bed. Food and water bowls act like hoppers but the dog eats from them.

Benefits: Your colonist sees a dog, well that's a few points. "Had a Conversation with a dog" that's a few more points, OH JESUS A PUPPY WAS BORN! That's going to keep morale up! ETC.

More to come: I'm just one guy so these are just some generic ideas I had. There will probably be a lot more options in time but for now this is the small list I could come up with!

Quote from Tynan: "This should be doable, but it will be a challenge because you'll need to do some serious AI programming. Which is fully possible within the given modding tools, but again, not at all easy.
That said, since they're dogs, their AI might not be thaaaat complicated. It really depends on what you want them to do.
Good luck! I'd love to add such a system into the game. Let me know if you need any info or help once the project is started."
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Celthric Aysen

I maybe able to make a Texture for you but, i usually texture guns so yeah, if your interested let me know :D
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

Ramsis

That would be awesome Black but at the moment I'm trying to see if Rhopunzel wouldn't mind helping out with giving us a base to color in for the dogs. I mean we already have her drawn colonists, might as well have her give us the starting point for dogs for when Ty merges the mod in if we get lucky :)
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Celthric Aysen

Quote from: Ramsis on April 14, 2014, 09:27:35 AM
That would be awesome Black but at the moment I'm trying to see if Rhopunzel wouldn't mind helping out with giving us a base to color in for the dogs. I mean we already have her drawn colonists, might as well have her give us the starting point for dogs for when Ty merges the mod in if we get lucky :)
well... good luck with that :)

Ramsis

Don't go too far friend! I'll totally add you to the art group if you're interested :D We need furniture up to wazoo!

- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

pidggit

This is definitely an interesting project idea. I was interested in doing some modding for this game, but I just didn't have any good ideas. I'd definitely be down for helping out with this.

I work as a software developer, it's been a while since I've done any C#, but from what I remember, it's really not that difficult. So I'll throw my name into the bin as a coder.

I'll be spending some time this week setting up and playing with the framework Tynan has provided us to get a grasp of what we'll need to do from a coding perspective to have some furry friends in our colonies.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and my Steam name is Pidggit. Feel free to add me.

Kilroy232

I would definitly like to see a dog that could hunt small pry like the squirrels and boom rats

jamieg

YES! Its true! im updating The BIG BANG mod pack check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orzLZbECR20&list=UUr1sEPUEhFqy01q16zGisIg

Celthric Aysen

Quote from: Ramsis on April 14, 2014, 09:38:11 AM
Don't go too far friend! I'll totally add you to the art group if you're interested :D We need furniture up to wazoo!
Just PM when you need a dog texture and il make you one
Also tell me how many pixels it needs. because im pretty new to texturing animals and i really want to try texturing a dog out

jamieg

if you get breeding working please incorporate breeding for the animals already in the game, for the sake of the community ;)
YES! Its true! im updating The BIG BANG mod pack check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orzLZbECR20&list=UUr1sEPUEhFqy01q16zGisIg

WorldOfIllusion

this sounds like a great idea (I must admit, I was thinking about working on a horse-analogue based mod with breeding *coughborsecough*)
Artistically challenged modder seeking artistically talented texturer's help. Please, please, PM me :)

Ramsis

I want to just go ahead and throw some serious brownie points to Pidggit. He made the K9 mod http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3593.0 into a beautiful mod made with complete love and care even when he didn't have to. I was wrapped up in personal things for about a month and didn't have any time to dedicate towards getting the project further off the ground but Pidggit stepped up to the plate and bore it out into the best damn mod I've had the pleasure of playing.

Seriously Pidggit you're the best.

- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

xXXXFLINTXXXx

xXXXFLINTXXXx

freaking dogs with laser guns strapped to their heads!!!!! :o