[W|0.3.410 rev40225] Performance suddenly drops - CAUSE FOUND

Started by ibsteveog, April 14, 2014, 04:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibsteveog

Not sure why it happened, but the game suddenly dropped to less than a frame per second.

Quitting and loading the save game does not fix it. 

Save game link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1043580/Serenity%204.zip

Source of issue found: #msg28548

Peacekeep3r777

Reported here http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2978.0 and it is solved http://ludeon.com/mantis/view.php?id=655, but not in latest version. And read forum next time, dont create new topic :).

ibsteveog

The issues listed in the original post were
1) Idle colonists (haul scan is slow)
2) CPU overheating

My colonists are not idle and drafting them does not affect performance.
My CPU is not overheating.  Reloading the game or waiting and while and restarting Rimworld do not cause the game to run normally.  It runs slow from the first frame.

ibsteveog

Reading Mantis, it looks like a large stockpile size could be triggering the issue?

My colonists are hauling in the savegame, but drafting them doesn't let the game run any faster, so I'm not sure that it's the same problem.

But my stockpiles are relatively large...  so perhaps?  On the other hand, the stockpiles have been large for quite a while, with no size changes recently, so I'm really not sure what precipitated the sudden FPS drop.

Peacekeep3r777

Quote from: ibsteveog on April 14, 2014, 04:53:06 PM
Reading Mantis, it looks like a large stockpile size could be triggering the issue?

My colonists are hauling in the savegame, but drafting them doesn't let the game run any faster, so I'm not sure that it's the same problem.

But my stockpiles are relatively large...  so perhaps?  On the other hand, the stockpiles have been large for quite a while, with no size changes recently, so I'm really not sure what precipitated the sudden FPS drop.

How big is your colony/how many people do u have? And when it started to drop fps (i mean which day? 50?-100?,...)

ibsteveog

The savegame is around day 200.

I've seen the hauling issue - for me, the hauling issue has symptoms of the game "hitching".  It will be smooth for 0.5 seconds, then freeze for 0.5 seconds, cycling indefinitely until you draft or give your colonists something to do.

Whatever the issue is in the savegame I posted, the symptom is not "hitching."  Nor does drafting or giving the colonists more work to do help with lag.  It's just a steady, consistent <1 fps.

Peacekeep3r777

I looks like what happened to me. I also was like around 200 days and it started to do same thing. It started freezing, so i think it is the exact same problem, which is already reported, but i might be wrong and it could be another problem. Tynan will tell us more.

ibsteveog

I loaded an autosave from 2 minutes before the slowdown and I've put another 50 days or so into the colony without re-triggering whatever the issue is.

I'm wondering if I had something like the blueprint bug I saw recently where something forbidden is underneath a blueprint and causes problems.

ibsteveog

Playing with the 'broken' savegame, deleting even a single square from my "Stockpile 2" zone (green in color, orbital beacon in the middle of it, and the stockpile is in the shape of the orbital beacons coverage) will fix the issue.  If i wait a second or two and then re-add the square back, the game is fine.

But deleting zone squares from other stockpile zones does nothing.  Its just this particular stockpile...

EDIT: BINGO!

On the problematic stockpile, there are piles of berries on top of other berries.  Affecting about 4 squares.  I have to delete the zone for one of the double-stacked squares and the game suddenly runs smooth again.  Deleting the zone under other squares in the stockpile did not affect the poor performance, so I'm 95% sure it's the double-stacks.

iame6162013

No dubble stacks don't do that even 3,4,5 it's all fine, i think it just maybe something else in the back ground
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

ibsteveog

Just 1 double-stack stockpile-zoned square doesn't do it.  But maybe lots of them do? 

There's something special about those squares, since deleting the zone underneath normal stockpile squares doesn't help the game run smoother, but deleting the stockpile zone under the double-stacks does.

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog