"Curing" bed ridden crushed pelvis

Started by Barazen, February 20, 2017, 07:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barazen

Was thinking back to a story in the story section, and my own fruitless attempts to save a bed ridden colonist when i thought... hey, how about a wheelchair? That gets them out and about again and honestly i just feel bad that a pawn with a crushed pelvis is either doomed a merciful death or to a single room for the rest of their lives.

A wheelchair could let them do reasonable tasks like research but not hauling maybe?
I dunno, i must be one of the few merciful players here as i try to give anyone in my colony a good life haha
Anyone else felt their heart break when a pawns marriage falls apart?
Doc & Valarie, I shipped it, she flipped it.

Psyckosama

Barazen

Regret nothing psyckosama. Regret nothing.

Jstank

The extended Biotics mod does let you craft bionic spines. I don't know if it does bionic pelvis(es) though.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Barazen

I always get nervous about mods, as i kind of play vanilla at all times and don't really know much about that side.

Though i gotta ask, does it keep its balance and challenge by have that mod? Like... i cant craft them right?

Jstank

Ok, so the biotics mod is pretty powerful as you can easily craft bionic parts to replace limbs and eyes among other things. I think it is balanced just because you really have to have glitter world meds to preform those surgeries, and because you can't craft it easily doing the surgery becomes the problem and not getting the part. It is also a drain on your pastel and components.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Barazen

Mind dropping me a link? You've enticed me enough i'll have a look haha

Jstank

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10571.0 I don't know why I called it the biotics mod but yeah there is the link!

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Barazen

Thanks Jstank, might give this a try! See if their attempts to make it feel vanilla work for me.

Still want that wheelchair though... for reasons...

Salawat

I mentioned this elsewhere, but the real world solution to this kind of injury (and shattered spine as well) involves the use of a traction bench.

You immobilize the patient in such a way as to allow the bones to knit and rejoin.  This typically requires some really clever rigging since you basically have to avoid having the body's weight supported by the injured area.

The patient is basically monitored regularly to adjust their position as necessary and to check on the progress of the bone mending.

Complications include bed sores, muscle atrophy, and internal bleeding.  Spinal injuries tend to be even dicier.

Salawat

Found it!

Quote from: Salawat on February 23, 2017, 12:49:11 PM
This is one of those injuries that really makes me wish Traction Benches were in the game.

Basic treatment basically looks like:

A) Diagnose/treat immediate bleeding.
B) Evaluate nature of fracture.
C) Assemble bracing to orient pelvic remnants
D) immobilize patient and track progress of bone knitting.
E) Physical therapy to deal with any resulting muscle atrophy.

I imagine it could be treated similar to a long running surgery job...  or a surgery that as a result schedules a followup in some period of time to represent the adjusting of the bracing weights and what not.

Bone medicine, as it turns out, is still the most horrifying type of medicine I can contemplate.  There is just something about bones that makes me wince just thinking about it.

Blood?  Gore?  No problem.  Bones?  <cringes>

Barazen

Salawat thats a beautiful cure! So wheelchairs and traction benches! Though the idea of rngeesus killing our pawns on that surgery roll puts a.... messy.... image in my head....

guruclef

Quote from: Barazen on February 22, 2017, 05:18:42 PM
Thanks Jstank, might give this a try! See if their attempts to make it feel vanilla work for me.

Still want that wheelchair though... for reasons...

If you're going to try the prosthetic mod and want it to feel vanilla, I recommend this version:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28731.0
It's actually a simplified version of the prosthetics mod to make it more balanced and vanilla-like.

I'm with you about the wheelchairs. I even might get into modding just to give it a shot (It's the one technology I feel is missing in a game with permanent injuries)

Salawat

Quote from: Barazen on February 24, 2017, 03:59:56 AM
Salawat thats a beautiful cure! So wheelchairs and traction benches! Though the idea of rngeesus killing our pawns on that surgery roll puts a.... messy.... image in my head....

The surgery system is alreasy...cough...on Tynan's operating table... so to speak.  And again, those types of fractures ARE difficult both to manufacture and corrrct.

And it does feel right for the setting too... because bone doxtors.  Yeesh.