Campfires: More fuel-efficient than Stoves!

Started by Hans Lemurson, February 23, 2017, 04:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans Lemurson

Campfire: Consumes 10 fuel/day.  If you spend 5 hours cooking at it, you will burn through 2 wood.  You will need to deconstruct it after you are done to not waste fuel, but you get all the remaining wood back.

Fueled Stove:  Consumes 160 fuel/day (according to the ThingDefs).  If you cook one meal at the stove you will use about 2 fuel (less if your cook is fast).  "Turns Off" automatically when not being used.

If you have no electricity and need to conserve your fuel while you convert raw food into more nutritious meals, then the Campfire is the clear winner!
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

hwfanatic

Hans Lemurson

Yeah, Campfire cooking seems to go at about 1/3 speed as stovetop cooking. (Looks like 17 work at a campfire, but 5 work at a Stove)

But even so, your fuel costs for the same amount of meals are 20-25% what a stove would cost you.  This is relevant for all those situations where Wood is your limiting factor, but for some reason you don't have electricity.  Very common situations like...
Umm...
Ice-sheet Tribals?
Desert Tribals?
EXTREME Desert Tribals?

Yeah, you know, all of those commonly encountered scenarios.  This is for that.

b0rsuk

You can't cook fine meals, on the other hand a campfire provides light and heat. It depends how valuable your colonist time is. Is you have a colonist who can only cook and not much else, go ahead cook on campfires.

But it feels /wrong/. Stoves are built to channel heat and not let it escape too much.

Hans Lemurson

I agree.  It's the wrongness of it that bothered me.  Burning a pile of wood in the open air should be much LESS efficient than in an enclosed channeled environment. 

I'm not sure though whether campfires should have their efficiency reduced, or Fueled Stoves have it increased.

b0rsuk

Increase stove efficiency. Refueling campfires used for heating rooms would be even more awful.

Nuss

Dorian

Not sure if it's intended or coincidence, but I've found my colonists get food poisoning more often on campfires, even if they eat at a clean table.  Can someone confirm this is true?

Jimyoda

Quote from: Dorian on February 23, 2017, 05:22:28 PM
Not sure if it's intended or coincidence, but I've found my colonists get food poisoning more often on campfires, even if they eat at a clean table.  Can someone confirm this is true?
That's because the chance of making a contaminated meal is determined by the cook's skill and the cleanliness of the room where it was prepared. Has nothing to do with where it's eaten.
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/