How to publicize RimWorld

Started by Tynan, April 15, 2014, 07:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sion

This is a YouTuber that have specialized in indie games, he is called: RockLeeSmile
https://www.youtube.com/user/RockLeeSmile/search?query=Indie+Impressions
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

MrBoomba

This isn't necessarily a for sure way, and maybe you've done it already, but really say where you want the game to go.

I honestly haven't been on the forums a lot and just check for updates every few weeks, but it would be nice to have an idea of where you really want the game to go and any big ideas you have for Rimworld in general. This may get some more people in that are uncertain with how the game is now if they knew what direction it will be going in.

Others have said it so far as to there being no end game content, so I am mainly pointing towards this. It may be a good idea to specify what kind of end game content you have in mind, or even if you have any in mind at the current moment and how you may apply it. (though, I realize playing your hand before it is dealt isn't a good idea, so this may just be dumb of me to say in the end.)

Darkfirephoenix

Well I found my way to this game thanks to my Youtubers.
Quill18 has made some vids about this and Revocane and I think 1 or 2 of my german Youtoubers have made some vids too. So it's slowly starting to roll! :P

Besides Tynan: Quill18 made his first vid about Rimworld around 6 Months ago, in one of his Let's try vids! :D

daft73

Quote from: Darkfirephoenix on April 16, 2014, 02:38:11 PM....
Besides Tynan: Quill18 made his first vid about Rimworld around 6 Months ago, in one of his Let's try vids! :D
For instance here is This one mentioned above... Quill18 plays Rimworld.. Maybe e-mail him to play the updated version. I am a fan of his overall channel...he's a programmer himself..and CANADIAN.. He is ideal, imho, to target.

Siegerolf

I find Eckyman's coverage of Rimworld to be well worth watching.  He is a youtuber, TB is the holy grail of PC gaming as I see it.

Apart from that I watch Twitch more than anything and I think it will eventually be the home of most broadcasters due to YouTubes rough around the edges approach to copyright issues.

I watch a guy called Lirik every day but he plays DAYZ mainly and wouldn't suit this type of content.

I guess a guy on Twitch would add an extra dimension to the current publicity.

Love the new changes Ty, keep up the great work!  ;D

TheEisbaer

StorymasterQ

Quote from: daft73 on April 16, 2014, 03:11:00 PM
Quote from: Darkfirephoenix on April 16, 2014, 02:38:11 PM....
For instance here is This one mentioned above... Quill18 plays Rimworld.. Maybe e-mail him to play the updated version. I am a fan of his overall channel...he's a programmer himself..and CANADIAN.. He is ideal, imho, to target.

I agree on those last couple of points. Those really are the mark of a perfect promoter :D
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Splinterbee

Gamersdissent plays this and is currently doin a lets play on it (afroville)
He got me to like this game! He gets a lot of views on his rimworld and banished series. When this is on steam it will probably get a lot more sales and with that, more popularity
Video games, are pretty good

Somz

Quote from: Tynan on April 15, 2014, 07:16:31 PM
RimWorld is really a sleeper success. There has been no coverage from any major bloggers and I think the biggest YouTuber who has done a video was Scott Manley. It still sells quite well, but I think that's mostly from word of mouth. Which I think is awesome. I love grass-roots- viral success.  But obviously I'd like to get the word out as well in more mainstream ways...

Though I can not help with this matter (sorry), I think that making a game popular that basically doesn't exist yet (for the public) is hard.
I don't know if it's due to financial...hardships or not that Mr. Tynan wants to popularize the game even more, but in case it is not, a public release later will help a LOT.
Again, only if it is not a life or death situation.
To beer or not to beer.
That is a laughable question.

Tynan

Quote from: Cyst on April 16, 2014, 09:42:38 PM
Quote from: Tynan on April 15, 2014, 07:16:31 PM
RimWorld is really a sleeper success. There has been no coverage from any major bloggers and I think the biggest YouTuber who has done a video was Scott Manley. It still sells quite well, but I think that's mostly from word of mouth. Which I think is awesome. I love grass-roots- viral success.  But obviously I'd like to get the word out as well in more mainstream ways...

Though I can not help with this matter (sorry), I think that making a game popular that basically doesn't exist yet (for the public) is hard.
I don't know if it's due to financial...hardships or not that Mr. Tynan wants to popularize the game even more, but in case it is not, a public release later will help a LOT.
Again, only if it is not a life or death situation.

Oh, no, there's no financial hardships going on with Ludeon. Quite the opposite. But I still don't want to be making a game in secret over here :)

Thanks for the ongoing suggestions everyone; maybe I'll get a chance to contact them over Easter weekend.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

FtDLulz

I know TB does videos covering early versions of games, but like you said, might want to wait.
I love ChristopherOdd, and he loves X-Com, might want to give him a try.
RockLeeSmiles and Nerd³ both do indie games, they're also a good bet.

Sion

Quote from: FtDLulz on April 16, 2014, 11:25:15 PM
RockLeeSmiles and Nerd� both do indie games, they're also a good bet.

I suppose it should say NerdCubed or Nerd^3, here is a link:
https://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialNerdCubed

Sion

I have just seen this YouTube film (and you should too):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyXcr6sDRtw

When you have watched it, maybe you would agree that PewDiePie could be another good spotlighter of RimWorld?
https://www.youtube.com/user/PewDiePie

Coenmcj

I noticed this thread too late to be helpful, I would have to say TB, scott manley (Although he's already covered it, perhaps he could do a recover?) Sips, maybe Lewis/Duncan. really anyone with a larger following.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite