[A17] Organized Research Tab v1.0.3

Started by Lazevedo, March 12, 2017, 09:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazevedo

Quote from: Tyolan on March 13, 2017, 03:10:09 PM
Great idea. Could save a lot of time when trying some mod packs.
Despite not perfect for me, you can look what the mod does here: http://imgur.com/a/V3GSE. There is no bugs, but it's far more complicated to read than the original in my opinion. Good for research that are already mess up i think.
You are not wrong. Some modders took the time to manually assign their Research Project coordinates when creating their mod. Kudos for them!

Thing is, other modders didn't. Even worse, even mods that had that in mind might collapse with other mods trying to use the same space. This Research Tab mod aims to treat every single possible mod setup and create something that pleases the eye. Being that generalist, most probably it won't ever do better than a human carefully organizing a specific setup.

Future features might make it more interesting for cases like yours!

Dronmk2

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Lazevedo on March 13, 2017, 10:19:56 AM
Quote from: SpaceDorf on March 13, 2017, 10:07:00 AM
I just loaded the midgame with 150+ mods running.

It worked. And it's beautiful.
I'm really glad to hear that!

Would you mind opening the console and telling me the what is the reported running time? It should look something like this:

<time>ms organizing Research Tab.

I believe there is a lot of potential for improvement on the performance front.
^

Sorry, I missed that post somehow .. a smooth 174 mods running,

3309 ms organizing research tab. on an old 2.5GHz Quadcore

Modlist Included,
The Research List has 3 Pages on Screen.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

死亡领主鸩毒

Well for some odd reason, when i activate ur mod. My Research Tab stops working xD

When i click on it nothing happens nothing opens no crash or error. When i disable the mod, my Research tab works normally as intended.

Greetings

Lazevedo

Quote from: SpaceDorf on March 13, 2017, 07:41:57 PM

That's not very good. It should get better in the next version.

Quote from: 死亡领主鸩毒 on March 13, 2017, 07:54:21 PM
Well for some odd reason, when i activate ur mod. My Research Tab stops working xD

Humm, that is odd. Could it be that you have another mod messing with the Research Tab? Someone in Steam mentioned "Alien Race" as a source of problems.

Nyril

Quote from: Lazevedo on March 13, 2017, 08:11:31 PM

Humm, that is odd. Could it be that you have another mod messing with the Research Tab? Someone in Steam mentioned "Alien Race" as a source of problems.

Can confirm with the Alien Race Framework. (I think?)

http://puu.sh/uHFHO/ab27c5600e.png

Demonlord091

I know you said we wouldn't need a vertical scroll bar if we used your mod, but for those of us that prefer the old model of the research menu I must ask: Can this mod remove the error that consistently pops up whenever we load up Rimworld? The one saying there are mods out of bounds.

I figure, if it can, maybe it would be possible for it to cure the error and still keep the old style of research menu brought back to life by this mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=825487565

I look forward to seeing what else you come up with.

死亡领主鸩毒

Quote from: Lazevedo on March 13, 2017, 08:11:31 PM
Quote from: SpaceDorf on March 13, 2017, 07:41:57 PM

That's not very good. It should get better in the next version.

In fact i updated Alien Race Framework latly to use the Cuthulu and Bee Race and i used also before Insectoids, Asari etc. When i Disable all of this mods, ur mod is working as intended also works good except the little Crop on bottom of the screen it is all sorted fine.

I guess that means i need now to choose which mod i gonna use kek hard decision since i really like the feeling when u have Multiple Races bringing up more life to rimworld. For a Space setting game it was bothering me there wasnt at all other races only other Factions :/.

Edit : For me it loaded with  3478ms on 112 mods

Greetings

Lazevedo

Quote from: Demonlord091 on March 13, 2017, 08:27:49 PM
I know you said we wouldn't need a vertical scroll bar if we used your mod, but for those of us that prefer the old model of the research menu I must ask: Can this mod remove the error that consistently pops up whenever we load up Rimworld? The one saying there are mods out of bounds.

Sorry, no. Each mod does it's own thing in this case. :(

Quote from: 死亡领主鸩毒 on March 13, 2017, 08:42:08 PM
In fact i updated Alien Race Framework latly to use the Cuthulu and Bee Race and i used also before Insectoids, Asari etc. When i Disable all of this mods, ur mod is working as intended also works good except the little Crop on bottom of the screen it is all sorted fine.

I guess that means i need now to choose which mod i gonna use kek hard decision since i really like the feeling when u have Multiple Races bringing up more life to rimworld. For a Space setting game it was bothering me there wasnt at all other races only other Factions :/.

I'll talk to erdelf (Alian Race author) to see if there is something that can be done.

AngleWyrm

The Fight Against Lag
This is a trick I picked up working with Minecraft, which may be useful. I'll paint a specific so we can get to the generalization.

The game The Witcher created a charming simulation where when it was raining the NPCs would take cover, and so I wanted to implement the same thing in Minecraft. But the amount of CPU time is a limited resource, and so an exhaustive spiral search was too expensive.

The solution was to use a Monty Carlo method: When it was my turn I set an upper limit of testing only ten random locations for suitability to protect against the rain, and then returned or acted on success. It resulted in a feathering in of the search without a heavy overhead of lag.

And so in seeing your marvelous seven-step process I begin to wonder if it might be possible to conduct some sort of saving the current state and returning between steps, then continuing where it left off at the next pass.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

oreganor

How about an option to cache the structure in the save itself?

As with anything related to leaving anything on a savegame in this game you should think on "safety":

- 2 Versions of the Mod (Internally is just a switch in the .xml definition). "Caching" and "not Caching": Just be sure to include in the "not Caching" version code able to Load a "Caching" savegame while NOT GENERATING one. If you don't mind extra dependencies, Hugslib offers ways to create ingame mod options.

- "Caching version" simply stores the research list and how it was ordered in the savegame... And just checks if new research options are available after loading to trigger a "rebuild phase" (That can be as simple as a full rebuild process as the 1st time it did run, or a more "delicate" approach to add just new nodes).

The way most ppl plays with mods is to try to select a more or less monolithic set of mods for each playthrough... Meaning the research node variation along the typical lifetime of a Colony is very small... Which makes Caching in the savegame a VERY ATTRACTIVE approach, if you take care of giving ppl the chance to remove the "Caching Version" gracefully from an ongoing Colony, just in case :).

Obviously I don't have experience with the "innards" of this game modding, so have no clue of how much control a modder has about the saving process... But this is the typical scenario were a cache eliminates most performance considerations.
Contributions:
Melee Skill Rebalance

Lazevedo

Good news! erdelf (author of the Alien Race Framework) was very kind to fix the issue on his side. It seems to be a problem with a library he uses, so he changed his code to do things manually until the library sorts things out.

Quote from: AngleWyrm on March 13, 2017, 10:35:32 PM
And so in seeing your marvelous seven-step process I begin to wonder if it might be possible to conduct some sort of saving the current state and returning between steps, then continuing where it left off at the next pass.

That's feasible and not a bad idea at all!

Quote from: oreganor on March 14, 2017, 06:46:23 AM
How about an option to cache the structure in the save itself?

Humm, I've seen mods struggle with saving stuff (Numbers, I'm looking at you), so that would not be a priority at this time.

死亡领主鸩毒

Well now im confused, Humanoid alien framework still dont work for me together with ur mod. I updated it already and tried around but cant get it work together for whatever reason :/.

Lazevedo

Quote from: 死亡领主鸩毒 on March 14, 2017, 08:24:30 PM
Well now im confused, Humanoid alien framework still dont work for me together with ur mod. I updated it already and tried around but cant get it work together for whatever reason :/.

Do you have any details? Maybe an error message? Is it the exact same behavior as before?

死亡领主鸩毒

Quote from: Lazevedo on March 14, 2017, 11:24:01 PM
Quote from: 死亡领主鸩毒 on March 14, 2017, 08:24:30 PM

Do you have any details? Maybe an error message? Is it the exact same behavior as before?

Yes sadly exact same behavior as before. But it seems that the AF Update cleary works for other people so its just confusing. That AF was the troublemaker was cleared before, tested it and i didnt changed anything except updating AF with the fix. But the same behavior is still continue no error message or crash the Research window just dont Open.
When i disable AF the Research tab works exactly how he should with ur mod.

Edit : I will make a final testing if this doesnt give any further results i will probably just give up, and disable AF from my modlist since ur mod is technical a better addition in terms of QOL.

Greetings