Ranges

Started by dd0029, April 18, 2014, 11:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd0029

I like the removal of launch pads for trade. However, my minor OCD is really bothered by the fact that it's quite so tedious to place a "perfect" stockpile under the beacon.

Would it be possible to get an automagic stockpile zone on the trade beacon? Or could the beacon show it's range circle when you are placing a stockpile zone?

Further on ranges - the only time you get to see bill range circles is when you are actively modifying the range. However, the bill window itself mostly obscures the useful radius sizes. For example, I found that the cook stove needs a small bill radius. Otherwise your little weeble spends more time running for ingredients than actually cooking. My solution to that is a dedicated stockpile zone near the cook stove and then setting the radius to just include that. Getting that radius right when the bill screen obscures the circle can be a bit hit or miss.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi! You're my only hope!

iame6162013

but the trade beacon does show it's range, the radius for the cook stove is adjustable ;)
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Darth Fool

Trade beacon only shows range when selected, not when marking zones.  I have gotten used to remove the corners, but having an automatic storage zone associated with the trade beacon is a good idea.

Plasmatic

Quote from: iame6162013 on April 18, 2014, 11:53:26 AM
but the trade beacon does show it's range, the radius for the cook stove is adjustable ;)

Trade beacon only shows range when you are actively placing it, or have it selected.
Once you start placing a stockpile the range disappears. He is only asking for it to place a stockpile under it's own range, like the trade pad did.

As for the crafting tables and such I find the best thing is just to zoom out while you are doing it, you get a much better sense of the size then, but I do wish subsequent bills would inherit the range of the first bill automatically..

Not to the point so you can't set them individually, but just if you set one bill to 37 range, then all other bills you start on that table should default to 37. you can then go in afterwards in config if you want to set another range.

FtDLulz

I'd love for it to auto-place a stockpile. I don't use the range function on bills much, but I can see the inheritance for range being a time-saver.

Sion

Quote from: dd0029 on April 18, 2014, 11:04:58 AM
Further on ranges - the only time you get to see bill range circles is when you are actively modifying the range. However, the bill window itself mostly obscures the useful radius sizes. For example, I found that the cook stove needs a small bill radius. Otherwise your little weeble spends more time running for ingredients than actually cooking. My solution to that is a dedicated stockpile zone near the cook stove and then setting the radius to just include that. Getting that radius right when the bill screen obscures the circle can be a bit hit or miss.

Another problem I have with he ranges is when you try to set its range, sliders are good for large size changes, but it is almost impossible to hit a range exactly on the tile, it can take up to 1 or 2 minutes to fiddle around with it to get it exact, then it would be much easier to have a button that lets you increase with 1, or even better have a text field where you can manually type the desired range.
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

Monkfish

Quote from: Sion on April 19, 2014, 05:35:03 AM
Quote from: dd0029 on April 18, 2014, 11:04:58 AM

Another problem I have with he ranges is when you try to set its range, sliders are good for large size changes, but it is almost impossible to hit a range exactly on the tile, it can take up to 1 or 2 minutes to fiddle around with it to get it exact, then it would be much easier to have a button that lets you increase with 1, or even better have a text field where you can manually type the desired range.
This would be handy. The same applies to the trading window, which is nothing short of tiresome to use when shifting large quantities.
<insert witty signature here>

daft73

Well until we can get it worked out..here is what I do generally.

I generally group up all my farming and storage into a compact area..all separate and organized. I just make one area for silver and then build my OTB(orbital trade beacon), so that it encompasses it.

Plasmatic

Quote from: daft73 on April 19, 2014, 02:29:45 PM
Well until we can get it worked out..here is what I do generally.

I generally group up all my farming and storage into a compact area..all separate and organized. I just make one area for silver and then build my OTB(orbital trade beacon), so that it encompasses it.

That is a tiny stockpile compared to what I usually have and need..