How do I cross the Ocean?

Started by Yoshida Keiji, April 15, 2017, 04:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deshara218

I'm not talking a boat, I'm talking lashing a set of logs together, kicking it into the river & hopping on until it bumps into the other bank of the river & jumping off

Modraneth

having boats seems like a valid point
in our days lots of mods made the game fully played with medieval theme. so why cant we play with tribes for example and build a raft or a paddle boat to cross a bit of ocean? its could even have like 60% chance of some bad weather and the pawns drown to death.
its not like every person plays futuristic in this game, we have a big percentage of people that like to play with tribes or with medieval tech, it doenst made sense for that people not having the possibility to travel a sea or a big lake, lets say that travelling on an ocean means death, but a sea or a lake should be possible...

Shurp

I have no idea what the necro is for, but I'll play along.  You want a reason why you can't build a boat and sail across an ocean?  Try this.  You're on a planet with boomalopes and giant centipedes that shoot lasers.  What do you think is going to happen when you run up against a whale here?

(substitute some Lovecraftian horror if you're playing a medieval or other low tech theme)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Kirby23590

I heard some Necropost-mancy going on... But i guess i will play along as well...

I mean, aren't very long bridges crossing across oceans expensive in real life? And materials used to make them?

But yeah, i mean toxic fallouts and mechanoids that want kill all humans along with bloodthirsty pirates and beasts with red glowing eyes wanting to kill all others. So Bridges like that aren't going to last very long and the stress would make them fall under the oceans.

And also Ships aren't really an cheap idea, Tynan Said... By the way...
Quote from: Tynan on June 26, 2019, 05:58:24 PM
The ships thing is a viable idea, but not exactly a cheap one!

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Jibbles

Quote from: Kirby23590 on August 16, 2019, 12:25:08 PM

Just because something takes more than half a day to implement doesn't mean it should be cut out or ignored. 
I would be down for some ships in the game tho there's really not a good reason for them atm. Although, it would be nice to take advantage of river tiles & could be interesting for players who settle far from the other bases. Other than that the game doesn't really provide anything interesting to venture across oceans unless it's a personal goal.

Actually I take it back.  Just remembered transport pods are one-way... Which is pretty disappointing.  So other methods of traveling are quite viable.

Kirby23590

Quote from: Jibbles on August 16, 2019, 11:00:32 PM
Just remembered transport pods are one-way... Which is pretty disappointing.  So other methods of traveling are quite viable.

As i want boats to exist. I can accept Rafts or Row boats instead instead of big ships or a trireme. Kinda sucks those Transport pods are one way and takes a lot of resources to build transport launchers and pods just to go back to your island without building an outpost.

Hope Tynan or Someone from Ludeon is listening to this or some determined modder. Just to remember we are kinda playing around with this post throwing ideas at each other and that Cthulhu is watching us fear the ocean because of tentacle beasts lurking down there.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: b0rsuk on April 16, 2017, 01:05:45 AM
But then we would get a thread like "Why do we still use boats in 5500 ?" Don't we have something better ? We should be using transport pods! Rimworld is a sci-fi game !

I don't doubt that we'd get such a thread per se', but it would be silly considering that you can still use bows and pre-2000 firearms.

Any logic about the difficulty of constructing an ocean-going vessel would be inconsistent with the game's logic of constructing a space-going vessel.

Main argument against it is the programming/design time.  Though I suppose you could just abstract it as a low-to-no forage area that blocks settling/encounters entirely (pirates could be a thing but blocking all events means no need to implement new maps/terrains).

Modraneth

Quote from: Shurp on August 14, 2019, 07:53:04 PM
I have no idea what the necro is for, but I'll play along.  You want a reason why you can't build a boat and sail across an ocean?  Try this.  You're on a planet with boomalopes and giant centipedes that shoot lasers.  What do you think is going to happen when you run up against a whale here?

(substitute some Lovecraftian horror if you're playing a medieval or other low tech theme)

Quote from: Kirby23590 on August 16, 2019, 12:25:08 PM
I heard some Necropost-mancy going on... But i guess i will play along as well...

I mean, aren't very long bridges crossing across oceans expensive in real life? And materials used to make them?

But yeah, i mean toxic fallouts and mechanoids that want kill all humans along with bloodthirsty pirates and beasts with red glowing eyes wanting to kill all others. So Bridges like that aren't going to last very long and the stress would make them fall under the oceans.

Quote from: Tynan on June 26, 2019, 05:58:24 PM
The ships thing is a viable idea, but not exactly a cheap one!

not everyone play the same way you play.
at least 20 or 30% of rim players like to play fully medieval theme, without futuristic tech, its already possible, there are mods that take all tech above medieval from the game
you play with space tech its seems logic for you to use pods to travel the world, but for me, i play tribal / medieval tech only without nothing above why shouldnt i have the possibility to travel faster too?
lets say for exemple if i random spawn on a small island, how should i leave it then? should i start a new game jsut because i cant leave the island? doenst seems fair to me

Pangaea

Quote from: Modraneth on September 04, 2019, 04:19:57 PM
lets say for exemple if i random spawn on a small island, how should i leave it then? should i start a new game jsut because i cant leave the island? doenst seems fair to me

Don't have a strong view in any direction on this issue. Nice if it was added, but it's not something I yearn for. However, just to point out the kinda obvious here: we don't randomly spawn in location and have to stick with that. If you start on a remote island or small land area, that is a conscious choice. If you use the random location feature in the game and happen to get on an island, you can select it again, or manually choose a non-island spot.

I can see how a totally medieval setting would be interesting - I "always" play with tribals myself - so in that case there won't be the transport pod option in the late game (provided the techs are disabled somehow). Then it would be beneficial to have some way to get off islands.

Personally, however, and given they probably have quite limited development resources and therefore have to prioritise, I'd prefer them to spend development time on other parts of the game than implementing boats, catapult "travel" or something like this. The generated land area typically corresponds to my username, so a feature like this would probably always be of niche usage.

Kirby23590

@Modraneth

Still kinda doesn't explain the necro, but you still kinda out of luck if you don't have something like say transport pods to get across oceans or canoes to get to the mainland or back to your island.

However we just have different play styles, while i love having medieval tech mostly swords & crossbows but i like to have guns and then turning my guys into SPARTAN-IIs, let's just say i have a play style on less usage of killboxes, and using different types of tactics as the 70% majority of players use killboxes, i still use turrets though but a bit more in a open box for the raiders to come in, and used embrasure mods for making bunkers and tweaking the raids to fit to my style of play. Not all players play the same way as the majority or the others in their games.

I find the default crashland scenario kinda boring, and prefer playing the lost tribes and my playable outlander mod scenarios more so than the crashlanded for a longer game. I find the appeal of going all medieval interesting but i like having to fight the scythers and then hack them into my side with What the Hack, and with Ballistas to take down Centipedes and Thrumbos and decorating my colony to look like a castle or having a royal fit just to have more raids.

As i may love islands, the problem is that caravaning is tough without using drop pods and making a small outpost to get back or a mod that allows you to cross waters in the world map.

In my end games i would go for a Bolivian Army Ending with some difficult raid with dire raids or just build the spaceship and defend it and release some colonists to space and end the game there, or just continue expanding the colony until i get bored and just play something else or start a new game in rimworld or watch some youtube videos.