Combat Extended - Combat Realism Reboot, looking for testers

Started by NoImageAvailable, April 16, 2017, 10:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoImageAvailable

Note: The current CE release on github is only meant for internal testing. Do not use it if you just want to play a regular game with the latest version of Combat Realism. Go here instead: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=27374.msg315289#msg315289

So some of you might have seen an announcement in the old CR thread about me and some other modders coming together to pick up development of that mod. After a few months of work we can finally present to you, Combat Extended. All the mechanics and rebalance that made CR what it is are still there, however the aim of CE going forward is going to be to focus more on gameplay and balance than before. We're not going to go full-on arcade but there won't be any more features added just for the sake of realism alone either.

That said, a lot of work has been done already. Tons of bugs have been fixed, features were polished and overhauled. Some of the changes are:
  • A new options menu, allowing users to toggle various features on and off, including a no-ammo mode
  • Lots of learning concepts have been added to the ingame tutor, explaining various CE mechanics such as aiming, armor, suppression and ammo crafting
  • Medical system rebalance with new painkiller drugs that let you treat pain from scars
  • Ammo deteriorates and can cook off in spectacular fashion when damaged
  • Complete animal rebalance
  • Lots of QoL improvements: loadouts were massively improved, hunters will no longer try to snipe squirrels half the map away and a myriad of other small changes

The focus of development right now is on balancing existing features to create a more tactical combat experience and fix various long-standing problems, as well as making sure the new features integrate properly with gameplay and work properly. For that, we need playtesters to help us find bugs and test balance. This means:
  • Finding bugs and the steps to reproduce them. This means carefully observing features to make sure they are actually working as intended. If your usual mod-list includes other mods you should try to reproduce the bug with only CE loaded (otherwise its a mod conflict and should be reported as such).
  • Testing balance. There are a number of areas that are currently under revision and testers are needed to provide detailed feedback on balance issues and help work out possible solutions. Note that feedback should be more than just "Shit's broke, plz fix" or "I think trees should give more cover because I like trees". If you think something needs changing you should generally try to provide some reasonable arguments as to why.
  • Autonomously finding balance issues. Aside from the areas currently under revision, we can always use good feedback on potential improvements to make the gameplay more engaging and/or improving on various features, general usability, etc. Same rules as above apply for providing feedback.
If you're okay with all that and want to help out with this project, we have a Discord where we handle all our development. Let me know via PM or in this thread that you want to participate and I'll send you the invite.

If you want to track our progress or see what we're up to you can check out the Development branch on our github repo.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

winowmak3r

I'd be interested in helping you guys out in any way I can. I was really bummed CR was discontinued and my Rimworld games just haven't been the same since.

Robloxsina66

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on April 16, 2017, 10:52:37 AM
So some of you might have seen an announcement in the old CR thread about me and some other modders coming together to pick up development of that mod. After a few months of work we can finally present to you, Combat Extended. All the mechanics and rebalance that made CR what it is are still there, however the aim of CE going forward is going to be to focus more on gameplay and balance than before. We're not going to go full-on arcade but there won't be any more features added just for the sake of realism alone either.

That said, a lot of work has been done already. Tons of bugs have been fixed, features were polished and overhauled. Some of the changes are:
  • A new options menu, allowing users to toggle various features on and off, including a no-ammo mode
  • Lots of learning concepts have been added to the ingame tutor, explaining various CE mechanics such as aiming, armor, suppression and ammo crafting
  • Medical system rebalance with new painkiller drugs that let you treat pain from scars
  • Ammo deteriorates and can cook off in spectacular fashion when damaged
  • Complete animal rebalance
  • Lots of QoL improvements: loadouts were massively improved, hunters will no longer try to snipe squirrels half the map away and a myriad of other small changes

The focus of development right now is on balancing existing features to create a more tactical combat experience and fix various long-standing problems, as well as making sure the new features integrate properly with gameplay and work properly. For that, we need playtesters to help us find bugs and test balance. This means:
  • Finding bugs and the steps to reproduce them. This means carefully observing features to make sure they are actually working as intended. If your usual mod-list includes other mods you should try to reproduce the bug with only CE loaded (otherwise its a mod conflict and should be reported as such).
  • Testing balance. There are a number of areas that are currently under revision and testers are needed to provide detailed feedback on balance issues and help work out possible solutions. Note that feedback should be more than just "Shit's broke, plz fix" or "I think trees should give more cover because I like trees". If you think something needs changing you should generally try to provide some reasonable arguments as to why.
  • Autonomously finding balance issues. Aside from the areas currently under revision, we can always use good feedback on potential improvements to make the gameplay more engaging and/or improving on various features, general usability, etc. Same rules as above apply for providing feedback.
If you're okay with all that and want to help out with this project, we have a Discord where we handle all our development. Let me know via PM or in this thread that you want to participate and I'll send you the invite.

If you want to track our progress or see what we're up to you can check out the Development branch on our github repo.

quick question do it works on Rimfire, 20th century Guns and high caliber?

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Robloxsina66 on April 17, 2017, 07:34:22 PM
quick question do it works on Rimfire, 20th century Guns and high caliber?

Most CR patches won't work with CE and we're not going to update them while the mod is still under development.

Razzoriel

I really enjoyed CR but one thing that bugged me to no end is the restriction of shoot verbs to specific bullet calibers. There are multiple calibers that can be shot from a sidearm and a rifle. For example, there are multiple 9mm carbines, and 9mm is the most prevalent caliber in pistols. Obviously, shooting that same bullet from a carbine would change their ballistics than from a pistol. There are even different ballistics from a 20" to a 28" barrel M4, since 5.56x45mm benefits drastically from long barrels and loses a lot of their terminal ballistic power from a simple change such as that.

This struck me as quite strange, giving that they went into the trouble of adding AP/HP bullets. So my question is: I like CR's burst/auto/single fire modes, bullet types and the way they dealt with sway, recoil and the likes. But the suppression mechanic leaves to be desired. Are you guys planning to make it modular?

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Razzoriel on April 18, 2017, 02:09:28 PM
I really enjoyed CR but one thing that bugged me to no end is the restriction of shoot verbs to specific bullet calibers. There are multiple calibers that can be shot from a sidearm and a rifle. For example, there are multiple 9mm carbines, and 9mm is the most prevalent caliber in pistols. Obviously, shooting that same bullet from a carbine would change their ballistics than from a pistol. There are even different ballistics from a 20" to a 28" barrel M4, since 5.56x45mm benefits drastically from long barrels and loses a lot of their terminal ballistic power from a simple change such as that.

That's actually changed now, ammo supports different projectiles depending on what gun its fired from. So while there aren't any plans to implement different ballistics for vanilla guns from our side it would be easy to make an XML patch for this type of thing.

QuoteThis struck me as quite strange, giving that they went into the trouble of adding AP/HP bullets. So my question is: I like CR's burst/auto/single fire modes, bullet types and the way they dealt with sway, recoil and the likes. But the suppression mechanic leaves to be desired. Are you guys planning to make it modular?

No plans to make it modular. The whole aiming and suppression system is getting a major balance overhaul right now so should be better in the final release though.

Devon_v

Oh god I've been waiting for this post! I refuse to play Rimworld without CR/CE. :)

deshara218

Question I took from Rimfire to CR until I realized CR was abandoned; could we fix the problem of incendiary explosives downing pawns? Incendiary Launchers being sniper rifles that are incapable of missing and one-hit-kill any human pawns is a little silly. It being guaranteed to hit from forever away is fine, it catching a person on fire & effectively stunning them as they run around burning would be fine, but it being %100 to down a person & leave them burning to death on the ground so that all it takes for a raid that happens to bring one is to shoot exactly as many incendiaries as you have colonists to do a full colony wipe is a bit much

Spawning

I'd gladly help testing if you want to send me the discord link.

213LBC

As soon as I heard about combat realism I wanted to get it so that i wouldn't have to rely on cheeky turret killboxes as much. When i learned I couldn't get it anymore, i was bummed out. Luckily, someone on the subreddtit told me how i could test this new reboot, and now I can't WAIT! I will glady test this out for you guys if you gimme a chance! My discord is the same as my username here!

213LBC

Quick question, is the zip file on the github page usable? Or is it still a work in progress? I tried putting it in my mods folder and running it, but it wouldn't load.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: 213LBC on April 23, 2017, 11:29:47 PM
As soon as I heard about combat realism I wanted to get it so that i wouldn't have to rely on cheeky turret killboxes as much. When i learned I couldn't get it anymore, i was bummed out. Luckily, someone on the subreddtit told me how i could test this new reboot, and now I can't WAIT! I will glady test this out for you guys if you gimme a chance! My discord is the same as my username here!

The old CR thread has a link on its last page with the last stable release. People who just want to play a regular game should use that. Testing CE is only for those who want to deal with major bugs and imbalances to help get the release done faster. If that still interests you let me know via PM and I'll send you the invite.

Quote from: 213LBC on April 24, 2017, 01:21:36 AM
Quick question, is the zip file on the github page usable? Or is it still a work in progress? I tried putting it in my mods folder and running it, but it wouldn't load.

The release on github is only meant for internal testing. Its highly unstable and not suited for public use yet.

MayPeX

I will be extensively interested in the development for this mod. I wish the you very best making it.

NoImageAvailable

Progress update: Lots of bugs have been found and squashed, thanks to the people our new testing team. In the meantime, work on feature additions continues. One of the things we've been working on is a major melee overhaul:

Melee mechanics have been greatly expanded, pawns now have the ability to dodge and parry incoming melee attacks. They can also perform critical hits which do increased damage on attack and grant a free counter-attack on a parry.

New melee shields are available for crafting. They act like additional armor against projectile attacks and are fully integrated into the new melee system with shield blocks and bashing, in exchange for being unable to use two-handed weapons.

Evelyn

I just found out about this today, and I'm loving that you're working on this! RimWorld without CR just isn't the same, but I also hope that you aren't burning yourself out working so hard on this. Loving the melee rework too, might be less of a suicide mission now!