[A17] Rainbeau's Mods - Bridges, Backstories, Smooth Walls, Terraforming & More!

Started by dburgdorf, May 06, 2017, 06:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simmin

Is there a reason that vents and coolers cant be placed directly on smoothed stone walls?

SpaceDorf

Yeap, they are a different walltype not recognized by the vents .. the same goes for modded vents that sit in the wall rather then remove the wall.
Concrete Walls have the same problem.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

dburgdorf

Looking into the modded vent/cooler issue is on my "to do" list. I just haven't gotten to it yet.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

SpaceDorf

This post is to remind myself to report an initialisation error with fish-bodies when I get home.

dburgdorf

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 26, 2017, 07:57:59 AM
This post is to remind myself to report an initialisation error with fish-bodies when I get home.

And this post is to remind myself to respond to your report once you make it.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Last update: 9/18/2017

When I started looking for a mod to add more traits to the game, I quickly realized three things about the various trait collection mods that are available: they all have some traits I really like, but also some I dislike, and none of them had all the traits I wanted; they don't necessarily work very well together due to conceptual overlaps or conflicts; and some of them are buggy in one way or another.

So I decided to deal with the problem by... releasing yet another trait collection mod. *Shrug* What can I say? This one, at least, has the traits I like, all the traits I like, and nothing but the traits I like. And I'm reasonably certain it's bug-free.

"Consolidated Traits" adds 43 traits to the game, almost doubling the number of traits available for pawns. The new traits are:

- "Aesthete": Pawns with this trait love beautiful things, and care a lot about the beauty of their environment.
- "Animal Hater": Some pawns just aren't "animal people."
- "Animal Lover": Pawns with this trait, as you'd expect, are especially good at dealing with animals.
- "Bipolar": Pawns with this trait will have more extreme mood swings than other pawns.
- "Brown Thumb": This trait is the opposite of "Green Thumb," obviously.
- "Builder": Pawns with this trait are good at constructing things, at least if they have instructions.
- "Butcher": Pawns with this trait are much faster when butchering animal corpses.
- "Chemist": Pawns with this trait are faster than others when brewing or producing drugs.
- "Claustrophobic": Pawns who don't like confined spaces make poor miners.
- "Cold Lover": Pawns with this trait will complain less when it's cold, but will whine more when it's hot.
- "Coordinated": This one provides a slight boost to global work speed and to most skilled labor.
- "Deadshot": This provides a boost to both shooting speed and accuracy.
- "Deep Sleeper": Pawns with this trait won't be disturbed by others while sleeping.
- "Dunce": Pawns with this trait will learn at a slower rate.
- "Glutton": Pawns with this trait eat very quickly.
- "Gourmet": Pawns with this trait prepare excellent food, but take their time in doing so.
- "Heat Lover": This is the counterpoint to "Cold Lover."
- "Inept": This trait is the counterpoint to "Coordinated."
- "Inventor": Pawns with this trait are great researchers, but tend to be easily distracted.
- "Natural Porter": Some pawns are just good at moving things. This trait increases carrying capacity.
- "Near-Sighted"/"Eagle-Eyed": These traits affect primarily a pawn's shooting accuracy.
- "Neat Freak": Pawns with this trait appreciate the importance of a dirt-free environment.
- "Nibbler": Pawns with this trait eat very slowly, picking at their food.
- "Nyctophobe"/"Nyctophile": These traits make pawns either more or less afraid of the dark than usual.
- "Perfectionist": Pawns with this trait try to make sure their work is done right, no matter how long it takes.
- "Poor Medic"/"Skilled Medic"/"Master Medic": These traits provide penalties or buffs to medical skills.
- "Quick Learner": This trait is the counterpart to "Dunce."
- "Rockhound": Pawns with this trait excel at mining and stonecutting, but are a bit slow at other tasks.
- "Savant": Pawns with this trait are creative geniuses, but terribly slow workers.
- "Sluggish"/"Swift Reflexes": These traits affect a pawn's ability to dodge attacks.
- "Sucker"/"Haggler"/"Master Trader": These traits affect prices when a pawn is trading.
- "Uncouth"/"Diplomat"/"Master Diplomat": These traits affect the success of a pawn's diplomatic efforts.
- "Weak Constitution"/"Strong Constitution": These traits affect a pawn's resistance to pathogens and diseases.

- Rainbeau Flambe (dburgdorf)

Steam Workshop Link

Dropbox Link

Compatibility:

"Consolidated Traits" should be compatible with most other mods. Even if those mods add similar traits, there shouldn't be any conflicts, as the traits are unlikely to have the same defNames. However, if you're using more than one mod that adds traits, you might end up seeing pawns with traits that don't really work well together, since the game won't have any way of knowing that trait X from mod Y duplicates or just isn't compatible with trait A from mod B.

This mod is compatible with either version of "Pawns are Capable!," though I'd recommend using the version of that mod that doesn't add traits, for the reason just stated.

I'd also recommend using my "More Trait Slots" mod. Combining a larger pool of traits with a larger set of traits per pawn can add some very interesting and uniquely individual personalities to your game.

You should be able to add "Consolidated Traits" to an existing saved game without trouble, but removing the mod from a game in progress might cause problems if any pawns in the world have any of the mod's traits, which is of course very likely.

Credits:

Some of the traits added by this mod are original. But most of them are based on traits found in "Additional Traits," "Extended Traits," "L-Traits," and/or the base version of "Pawns Are Capable!"

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Mufflamingo

I like this collection of new traits better. Thanks.

Thank you also for releasing it after I created a new game! Errr.
Bleeeee. . . . .

dburgdorf

Quote from: Mufflamingo on July 26, 2017, 08:11:38 PM

You and SpaceDorf should form a "Rainbeau Releases His Mods at Inconvenient Times" club.  (The name's just a placeholder, of course. I'm sure you can come up with something better.)  :D

More seriously, I am of course interested in feedback, whether it be ideas for more traits to add, or reports of any odd trait combinations that show up. I've set things up in a way that should prevent most obviously incongruous pairings, but it's quite likely some more subtle odd possibilities could still show up. ;)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Mufflamingo on July 26, 2017, 08:11:38 PM
I like this collection of new traits better. Thanks.

Well you can always add traits to a running game, sure you can't start with them but later pawns will have them.

My problem with bad mod-timing is more caused by the loading times of Rimworld itself.
When I find myself taking that fateful "real quick" look at the forum .. and find 3 updates,
2 new mods and so on.

Quote from: dburgdorf on July 26, 2017, 08:46:50 PM
You and SpaceDorf should form a "Rainbeau Releases His Mods at Inconvenient Times" club.  (The name's just a placeholder, of course. I'm sure you can come up with something better.)  :D

"Burgdorf's Bad Timing Buddies"

Quote from: dburgdorf on July 26, 2017, 08:46:50 PM
More seriously, I am of course interested in feedback, whether it be ideas for more traits to add

Good Timing for publishing this mod, because just yesterday I was wondering if it possible
to exclusivly bind traits and backstories special pawns ?

Quote from: dburgdorf on July 26, 2017, 09:32:27 AM
Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 26, 2017, 07:57:59 AM
And this post is to remind myself to respond to your report once you make it.

I had no time at all yesterday evening .. today I will check ..

dburgdorf

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 27, 2017, 07:16:09 AMGood Timing for publishing this mod, because just yesterday I was wondering if it possible to exclusivly bind traits and backstories special pawns ?

I'm not quite sure I'm following this. Are you asking if you can set a trait so it only appears with a special (non-shuffleable) backstory assigned to a unique pawn?

If that's the point of your query, then I'm going to tentatively say, "yes." If you set the backstory to force the trait, and then set the trait's <commonality> to 0, that should have the end result of ensuring that the trait always and only appears with that specific backstory. And if that backstory, in turn, only ever appears attached to one specific pawn, well, then that pawn has a unique trait.

Note, of course, that I haven't actually tested that. But it should work. Of course, even with a <commonality> of 0, the trait would presumably still show up in "Prepare Carefully," and thus be available for manual assignment to other pawns. There's really nothing you can do about that.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

SpaceDorf

That is great, this was exactly what I wanted to know and hear.
And Prepare Carefully was exactly the problem I predicted.

Thank you. My Idea was to create special unique pawns that could join your colony or be your enemies.
Like Luke Skywalker for the Star Wars Mod.

And as threatened the fishy error log for Basic Bridges

BodyDef Fish has BodyPartRecord of FishBody whose children have more or equal total coverage than 1. This means parent can't be hit independently at all.
-
BodyDef Squid has BodyPartRecord of SquidBody whose children have more or equal total coverage than 1. This means parent can't be hit independently at all.

dburgdorf

Configurable Maps has been updated:

- Split the settings into two separate configuration screens, one for terrain options and one for "things" options, in order to allow more to fit.

- Split the "biodensity" setting into two separate settings, one for animal density and one for plant density.

- Added a "mountain level" option that works similarly to the "water level" option.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

moonra

I think 3 variants for trait themes [e.g. Sucker/Haggler/Master Trader] is a bit too much, but with your "More Trait Slots" it's not that big of a deal. Overall I like the traits and will add that mod to the list. On suggestion I have is... err, strongly suggest that people use that mod with the More Trait Slots one.
I'm about to ditch my current, so good timing on that release, heh.

SpaceDorf

Are the settings of Configurable Map only used on Map Creation or do some things like Wildlife and Biodensity effect a running map ?

dburgdorf

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 29, 2017, 03:08:46 PMAre the settings of Configurable Map only used on Map Creation or do some things like Wildlife and Biodensity effect a running map ?

Most of the settings only affect map generation. The only possible exceptions to that rule are the animal and plant density settings, and even then, any changes to an existing map would be very gradual, as at most the settings would influence the rate at which animal and plant life reproduces.

Quote from: moonra on July 29, 2017, 03:04:48 PM
I think 3 variants for trait themes is a bit too much....

Bear in mind that those are "spectrum" traits, so no matter how many traits are in the particular sequence, no pawn will ever have more than one of them.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?