Is it just me or do animals that are assigned to masters have bad ai.

Started by doctercorgi, May 08, 2017, 10:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctercorgi

They don't really go and attack far away enemies when released and sometimes won't even bother to follow their master while the pawn is doing field work. Should I file a bug report or bad ai?

Juan el Demgrafo

The game considers nothing but hunting to be field work, no? Perhaps anything outside the home zone should be considered such.
240 hours on Steam of this 2017-7-23.

Quote from: Shurp on July 29, 2016, 06:30:22 PM
...tell her to go stand in the corner of her bedroom, and beat her when she tires of it.

I really need to finish researching beer.

DariusWolfe

doctercorgi

I had a pawn out hunting, she had four huskys assigned to her but when a herd of dear wanted revenge only 1 was with her. Do they ignore their master when they are sleeping?

SURU

Quote from: doctercorgi on May 08, 2017, 11:16:13 PM
I had a pawn out hunting, she had four huskys assigned to her but when a herd of dear wanted revenge only 1 was with her. Do they ignore their master when they are sleeping?
Do you have assigned them to "Follow the master when hunting"? Don't know how it is with sleeping
CraPC: AMD Phenom X3 8750 | Club 3D Radeon 7770 | Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 | 4GB RAM DDR2 2x2GB Kingston
Don't go this way!

Panzer

Yeah as the others have said only taming and hunting are considered field work, and only animals that arent asleep when you do those tasks will follow you. If you draft your colonist however, they will wake up and go to where your colonist is. Thats also very good for getting sleeping animals to safety, assign them a safety zone and then draft/undraft their handler to wake them up and/or update their pathing.

Another thing thats good to know is how animal pathing works during field work or drafting. When you draft, an initial waypoint is set for your animal and the animal wont update its path til it reached that waypoint, even if you moved your colonist in the meantime (see screenshot). If you want your animal to update its pathing while it moves to you, you have to draft/undraft again.

For hunting/ taming it works the same, your colonist sets a waypoint and the animal will move towards it, if your animal is way faster than your colonist (e.g. cougar), you can see your animal darting around the waypoint before your colonist reaches it ;)

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Zhentar

I haven't looked at it too closely yet, but in A17 at the least mining is considered field work.