Religions, gods, impact... How it could deepen the game.

Started by Ermantis, April 22, 2014, 04:06:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ermantis

So… I’ve already seen a thread about religions around there, but it included the IA being gods which is not the idea I would like to explore.
As psychology is, religion could give a great and deep dimension to the game.
Look, you have tribes of natives throwing rocks at you, colonies from distant planets living next to you, and raiders, all around. Plus: your crew, different people from different horizons. And you would like to tell me that NONE of them believes in anything? Please…

So that’s how I see things:

GODS â€"
There is a bunch of gods, all which would want a way to pray them :
-   simple morning prayers 
-   prayers 3 times a day
-   unauthorized to eat things (meat, vegetables)
-   unauthorized to kill things (human, animals)
-   has to sacrifices object (metal, silver, etc)
-   has to sacrifice vegetable
-   has to sacrifice animal
-   Human sacrifices.
Plus, some gods might want their follower to pilgrimage, making them absent from the base for a week or two, sometimes never to come back…

IMPACTS ON THE COLONY â€"
Each religious colonist would have a satisfaction malus if they can’t serve their god well. And of course, sometime it’s better to kill a colonist than to let him murder your all base to a god… ;)
Some of your colonist might have no faith. But can be converted to some god: tribal coming to visit the colony could talk one of yours into their faith, for example.
Having a colony dedicated to a god could have you better relations with other tribes or colonies, or worst, if those gods are enemies…
Finally, building hostel to pray some of the gods could please your colony, and you might even want to turn your colony in a god loving monastery dedicated to sacrificing other people… #MUAHAHAHA

IMPACTS ON THE GAME â€"
Although the player doesn’t have a hand on when to pray gods or how, praying gods could still have impact on how the game goes.
A colonist that has been really faithfull lastly could have a invisible bonus (invisible cause faith should be questioned ! ;) ) making him more precise, more healthy, more efficient at stuffs… And a bad believer would have negative stuffs happening to him, that could impact all the colony (giving your crops a dicease…)

So here you go, let’s talk about this. I’ve tried to make it clear and to show how it could make the game deep. There is no point arguing about religious beliefs or what, we are only talking about deepening the game, and I don’t see any way this could not be a good idea.
Inb4 atheists getting mad.

WorldOfIllusion

this could add some cool new gameplay.

Just imagine trying to manage your colonists so that they dont make each other angry due to different religious practices. Or even, trying to stop one colonist converting your entire colony to a religion that sacrifices silver :P
Artistically challenged modder seeking artistically talented texturer's help. Please, please, PM me :)

Ermantis

"Alter, the silver-lover-god has revealed himself to one of your colonist. He will now try to sacrifice your silver to please his god !"

OH COME ON RANDY !!!  ;D

Darkfirephoenix

A believe system would be nice and it would spice things up a bit.

Most tribes would believe in most gods avaible (Nature, multiple gods, one og only etc.) and would be relative unflexible about others having some other god. But don't forget that there are ppl who don't believe in gods/deitys etc., ppl who believe in Technology and even others would see other races/ppl as gods. You could meet an tribe wich prays to an (now vanished) alien race for example and hold to some of their techs as "Holy objects". You could maybe even get others (mostly less intelligent, less advanced) factions to pray to you as gods and "sacrifice" ppl to you (be it blood sacrifices or ppl who will join you/work for you)

longbyte1

A simpler approach would be to build a shrine for a specific god. You can order a sacrifice (corpse, raw food, cooked food, metal) or a ritual of some sort (with a variable amount of people participating in it). Whoever is in charge of "Worshiping" follows these orders.

Certain factors influence your relationship with that god that you are worshiping. If you sacrifice something valuable, such as a minigun or 200 metal, or follow the god's commands, your reputation with that god increases. However, if you are violent, sacrifice only worthless things, such as squirrel corpses, then that god will be unhappy with your colony. Also, if you make the room in which the shrine is in spacious and clean, then the god will be somewhat more pleased.

When you pray to the gods, your reputation with them decreases a bit, and they will respond with either a blessing or "the wrath of the gods" based on your reputation with them. They also affect your colony's karma, which changes incident frequencies.

Geeves

Just opened a random hystory book.

page 1: religious war
page 2: religious war
page 3: religious war
page 4: religious war
page 5: religious war
page 6: religious war

you get the idea.

Let us not put religion in the main game. Make it a mod instead, so people can choose whether they want their Rimworld to have religion.
You know it is bedtime when you open a file called GeneralEffecters.xml and the first 2 words you notice are: Butcher and Children.
==============
Learning to program is easy. Learning to put what is in your mind into programming code, now that is the hard part.

daft73

Quote from: Geeves on April 25, 2014, 02:09:24 PM

you get the idea.

Let us not put religion in the main game. Make it a mod instead, so people can choose whether they want their Rimworld to have religion.
Well I'd assume they would be made up religions, not real ones. Gives the game another layer, is all.

Vas

Tribal people would have their own god to pray to, the colonists would all have mixed beliefs and may want their own temples or shrines (of course you can say no and demand everyone work instead of praying to non-existant beings), and raiders would likely just be atheist and not believe in squat.  Someone with charisma could likely talk tribals into being friends because religion is a great thing to exploit to get what you want, it's why it was invented!  :P
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Jack 123

If it were added then I think it would have to be somehow randomly generated in some way. Also it would be cool if religious extremists tried to kill or sacrifice you. And you should be able to do animal or even human sacrifice.

Ermantis

Quote from: daft73 on April 25, 2014, 02:27:27 PM
Well I'd assume they would be made up religions, not real ones. Gives the game another layer, is all.

It would of course be made up gods, as I said. And randomly generating gods would be even better and funnier !

Quote from: Geeves on April 25, 2014, 02:09:24 PM

you get the idea.

Dude... Really ?
1/ Rimworld has just implemented some cultural wars by putting in faction. It does not differ in any way with religion fight, and has NOTHING to do with history. It deepens the game, period.
2/ Did you ask dev to remove religions from Age of Empire ? Assassins Creed ? the Total War series ? Did it prevent you from enjoying the game ? No. (If your answer was yes, MAN, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes... Man, your life must be sad...)
Any way, just open your mind to made up religions, and stop putting your faith before your brain.

Geeves

I did not play AoE, AC or the TW series. I was to busy with the Command and Conquer series at the time. It is still a shame that EA took over Westwood studios back in the day.

I'd like to point out the obvious difference between Culture and Religion: Culture is based on measurable facts. Religion on the faith that if we f*ck up some-thing- will forgive us.

I will agree though, that some cultures are based on religions. I still stand by my point, have it be a Mod so people have the choice not to include it into the game.

on a side note: I put my brain before my faith, because I do not have one, by choice.
You know it is bedtime when you open a file called GeneralEffecters.xml and the first 2 words you notice are: Butcher and Children.
==============
Learning to program is easy. Learning to put what is in your mind into programming code, now that is the hard part.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Geeves on April 28, 2014, 01:45:44 PM
on a side note: I put my brain before my faith, because I do not have one, by choice.

What, brains? :D J/k
But truly, I do think you have a point. Faith is defined as "strong belief...based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof."
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Ermantis

I did not play AoE, AC or the TW series. I was to busy with the Command and Conquer series at the time. It is still a shame that EA took over Westwood studios back in the day.
Dude, what you have missed... It explains a lot.

I will agree though, that some cultures are based on religions. I still stand by my point, have it be a Mod so people have the choice not to include it into the game.
If you have never been through a game that integrates religions (and NOT faith --') in its gamelplay, I for sure undersatand why you don't want it to appear in a game you like : difference is frightenning, eh ? Man up, dude, it won't change your beliefs !

And, that, my dear sir, is a religion. Thanks, fedoratheist.

Anyway, can we come out of that irrelevant debate and go back to thinking about the good stuffs to put in the final game ?

StorymasterQ

@Ermantis, I see your point, but please understand this one as well. Certainly having religion in the game will enhance it for those who are unconcerned with diversity, like you and I. But, not having religion allows those who are to play the game without having to grit their teeth through it. It's not a question of not liking diversity, but of preferring accessibility. It's a game for everyone, after all, not just for those who likes having religion in games.

Of course, you can't really please everyone, but what's the point of pissing off some?
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Pirx Danford

Maybe religion is something that can be done in a mod?

Aside the fact that religious stuff by itself annoys some people it would also have game altering components, which might be liked by some people but hated by others.

So... a mod would allow people to use it by their own choice.