[Recruiting a Team/Individual] Deep Space Mod

Started by fluffinator09, May 18, 2017, 09:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluffinator09

Hello all! My name is fluffinator09, and I am a Digital Media major with a focus in game design at my university. Said University is currently out, so I am looking for something to fill my time that's both creative, and something I can use in my portfolio review whenever that happens. So here I come to a fantastic game, with a fantastic modding community to make something cool.

While I primarily excel at 3D art, I have dabbled in the 2D world some, and would like to better my ability at 2D anyway, even in the /simplistic/ style of Rimworld.

The mod(s) idea(s) I have in mind are ones centered around the Deep Space, what lives there, what happens there, what comes from there, and more of that sorta stuff. I am drawing inspiration and motivation from Jacrell's Call of Cthulhu mod series/collection as it has the feel I would like to go for, just maybe not as dark and (no offense intended) original as I would like to go for in my mod.

If this interests you at all, please shoot me a PM on Steam at fluffinator09 and/or leave a comment below. (Steam is faster, however I would like to keep this thread active to a degree). Any questions or comments, definitely post them below and I will address them as soon as I see them and am able to!

AngleWyrm

Quote from: fluffinator09 on May 18, 2017, 09:34:13 PM
The mod(s) idea(s) I have in mind are ones centered around the Deep Space, what lives there, what happens there, what comes from there, and more of that sorta stuff.

An alien race decided to colonize this world, and has sent automated terraforming equipment, scout drones and self-replicating factories to construct infrastructure prior to their arrival. Their genetic engineering labs develop a species of plant life to perform atmospheric changes that produce something like a toxic fallout event whose severity is proportional to planet-wide biomass.
The player's trading activity with space freighters becomes the talk of the community, and a space port develops in proportion to the player's trade volume.
As the player's faction pours resources into exchange with the space freighters, it becomes worthwhile for those freighters to make more regular visits.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

fluffinator09

Quote from: AngleWyrm on May 19, 2017, 10:43:16 PM

An alien race decided to colonize this world, and has sent automated terraforming equipment, scout drones and self-replicating factories to construct infrastructure prior to their arrival. Their genetic engineering labs develop a species of plant life to perform atmospheric changes that produce something like a toxic fallout event whose severity is proportional to planet-wide biomass.

Was this a suggestion or an offer for help? This thread is asking for a team of others to assist me in the coding :P I may have missed something in your message but this just seems like something you would like to see, but correct me if I am wrong.

AngleWyrm

Quote from: fluffinator09 on May 19, 2017, 10:57:16 PM
This thread is asking for a team of others to assist me

Will you be hosting a project on github?

fluffinator09

Quote from: AngleWyrm on May 19, 2017, 11:13:49 PM

Quote from: fluffinator09 on May 19, 2017, 10:57:16 PM
This thread is asking for a team of others to assist me

Will you be hosting a project on github?
Honestly, I don't know crap about Git and coding really. I would be doing the art/design of the mod. While I realize that may not outwardly appear like much, this would be what I would do in my major (I am a Digital Media major with a focus in Game Design in college currently on Summer Break though).

AngleWyrm

Security check complete; welcome, friend.
Artwork is a major part of what makes mods fun.

What do you have in mind?
What kind of stories would unfold?
What kind of things would you like to create in-game: creatures, machines, equipment?

For a simple scaffold-canvas to practice on, I made a mod called FairyLamp that makes a lantern in-game. You can swap art into the mods/FairyLamp/Textures folder to see your stuff in-game. There are two images in that folder, one for the GUI icon and one for the object placed in the world. They are each 64x64 pixel transparent pngs

fluffinator09

Quote from: AngleWyrm on May 19, 2017, 11:39:00 PM

Security check complete; welcome, friend.
Artwork is a major part of what makes mods fun.

What do you have in mind?
What kind of stories would unfold?
What kind of things would you like to create in-game: creatures, machines, equipment?

For a simple scaffold-canvas to practice on, I made a mod called FairyLamp that makes a lantern in-game. You can swap art into the mods/FairyLamp/Textures folder to see your stuff in-game. There are two images in that folder, one for the GUI icon and one for the object placed in the world. They are each 64x64 pixel transparent pngs

May I write a short thing for you, and PM it to you sometime tomorrow (Saturday)? It will be set on Earth mind you, but will maybe convey what I want to do. I am not sure. But hopefully it will help you understand, somewhat.

Arkter

I can help with creating content. However i do not know anything whatsoever about coding and such.

AngleWyrm

Quote from: fluffinator09 on May 20, 2017, 01:15:16 AM
May I write a short thing for you, and PM it to you sometime tomorrow (Saturday)? It will be set on Earth mind you, but will maybe convey what I want to do.

Looking forward to it; have a good night

fluffinator09

fluffinator09