8x7 or 7x7 Bedrooms?

Started by Blitz4, May 21, 2017, 03:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blitz4

I've been doing 8x7's for the longest, because of this: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Space
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=15900.msg168444#msg168444 said 7x7 is all you need
If you click on clearance on that wiki page above, it says 7x7 is best: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Clearance

I would usually test 7x7's to see if it works, but I feel like

Can somebody confirm it's 7x7?

NinjaDiscoJew

In a 7x7 bedroom, you do get the spacious debuff. It is also provided in a 7x6 bedroom. (this includes the space the bed takes up).

cultist

I don't get why people fuss so much over room sizes. The mood bar is static when pawns sleep, so this really only comes into play when pawns pray/meditate. Cramped rooms are only a problem for hospitals, because pawns are using the bed while awake, so they actually "feel" the effects of the cramped room.

Rimrue

My max bedroom size is 5×5 and I only give those to the greedy or jealous pawns. Give them an extra statue or two and they generally stop complaining.  Everyone else gets 5×4.

ShadowTani

The wiki is somewhat outdated, for example, the environmental display tool can now be used accurately, and it doesn't matter if a pawn is in a corner or the center of the room - the value the tool shows will be what the pawn experiences all over the room.

In other words, so as long as the room has a total space rating of 55 or more the pawn will get the buff and that can definitively be achieved with just a 7x7 room, though it depends on how many other objects you stuff into it. A 7x7 bedroom can have a double bed, small table and two dining chairs, a Flatscreen TV, two armchairs, and a couple of plant pots and still give the buff.

However, as cultist implied, you're making a big fuss over nothing really. The buff only last for as long as your pawn remains in that room, and will be refilled to max anyway when you go outside (though without any buff until you enter a new room). The pawn will usually only go to their bedroom to sleep or refill joy through prayer or meditation, and you won't see them go crazy much at that point. If you need to nitpick then you should at least focus on the areas they need it the most: their work areas. Also, get yourself impressive dinning rooms and recreation rooms instead which provide potentially larger buffs that can last for a while.

Shurp

3x4 is big enough for a "slightly impressive" bedroom (+3 buff).  You have to go bigger if you want really impressive, but the additional bonus isn't very noticeable (to me, anyway).

Cramped conditions are really only an issue for your doctors if you convert a bedroom to a hospital room.  If they're already stressed from not eating and sleeping during a long battle the cramped conditions could break them when they rush to medical duty after the battle.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Bozobub

Even then, if you decorate the room with nice furniture and/or statues (or even just plant enough flower pots), you won't have a problem.
Thanks, belgord!

East

A17
When you set the number of space

40 < 41 Spacious interior ( 6x7=42 room )
Cramped environment < 11 ( 3x4=12 room )

Installed items are not affected.

Awful room < 5 ( 5x1 room ) floor room + stone floor + bed ( If you want to double, make 6 )

2 space room is bad a lot of thing, but base space & moving line efficiency is the best. If you can mood supplement it from the other side, think aggressively.

When you use a very small room, only sleep in the room.When you sleep, the mood is fixed.
Place a bed at the entrance. And make it accessible by bed zone restrict setting. Then you will not go to the room and meditate and pray.
Never give a small room to a prison or hospital.

If you want to raise the room impression like crazy in the beginning, plant a flower. If not, lay the floor quickly.
Flowers are dirt around, creating dust around them. So change if you can afford it.

ReZpawner

East: Are those the new roomsize buff variables? Is anything 12 and upwards now okay?

Edit: According to the defs, the following are the scores:

Less than 12.5 = cramped.
Less than 29 = rather tight.
Less than 55 = Average sized
Less than 70 = somewhat spacious
Less than 130 = very spacious
Less than 349.5 = Extremely spacious.

East

0~10 (-10 mood) // 11~40 (0 mood)  // 41~ (+5 mood)

This is not a score calculation. It is just a result of directly counting the number of spaces on the floor. Scores are additional formula results.

And remember that the room space value was changed in the a16.

ReZpawner

Quote from: East on May 21, 2017, 10:46:59 PM
0~10 (-10 mood) // 11~40 (0 mood)  // 41~ (+5 mood)

This is not a score calculation. It is just a result of directly counting the number of spaces on the floor. Scores are additional formula results.

That seems about right, despite the hard data saying otherwise.
Just testing it out right now, and in a 4x3 room, I have 36% space, which doesn't trigger any debuff at all. I'm assuming it has to drop below 33,3% before it gives a debuff.

Guess the days of me giving them large rooms are over.

East

Maybe the wiki room content is old.

ReZpawner

This was from the defs file. You can find it in:

%steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\Mods\Core\Defs\Rooms\RoomStats.xml

Makes me wonder if it's really using a different file from somewhere else. It was last updated on the 3rd of this month, so it's not an outdated file either. Maybe one of the devs could shed some light on it?

loc978

I got in the habit of making them 5x6 many alphas ago, because that was just enough for the spacious interior buff at the time... now that's the only size that looks right to me, unfortunately.

SurrealSadi

I usually make my bedrooms 3x7 or 3x8. Doesn't seem to bother my pawns too badly.