Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macool

Hello lads,
I'm a half Ukrainian half Romanian from Bukovina, northern Romania but I spent my later life traveling around Europe, living a few months up to a year in Germany, Netherlands, UK and now living in northern Italy (yeah I have a thing about northern things XD)

I'm a graphic artist, airbrush painter and webdesigner and I make a living by painting. And since I'm a descendant of a cossack family, I also love to ride horses.

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
Honestly I can't remember. I saw colony building, Prison architect graphic style, Dwarf Fortress gameplay... what's not to like? I think it was on moddb.

-What's your favorite other game?
Well, there's a bunch, mostly RTS, RTT, Simulations, some RPG's.
RTS-Paradox games (Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, Crusader Kings, etc)
RTT-Men of war series, the old Commandos games
Simulations-Armed Assault series
Odd ones: Dwarf fortress because oh well, losing is FUN.

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
I played a game of Quake-Live against my 60 years old dad thinking I'd smash his ass. I got ass whooped instead, on an instagib server, him using only the gauntlet. Complete humiliation.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Woolly

Ahoy folks,
I'm Woolly! I'm from Eastern Canada and have been a long time PC gamer. I have a background in Cultural Anthropology, Qualitative Anthropology  and Social Statistics. Although in reality I use none of those skills now and am currently involved in more capitalist business ventures. Anthropology is still a subject I am very passionate about however it does not suit my financial goals. I also have a deep interest in Archeology, Paleontology, Fossil hunting, Aquarium keeping.. and lots of other off the wall stuff. :D

I never knew anything about Rimworld until recently, a thread over on the Stonehearth discourse mentioned the game and I checked it out. As for the genre, I have always been a bit of a simulation fan. I think it was because I was never allowed to have an ant farm as a child...  Growing up I was heavily into RTS and Simulation games  defend, survive, attack etc.. I always like the idea of games of this nature. Eventually I found Dwarf Fortress which lead to a deep desire to play all the games of this type... the issue was none of them scratched that itch like Dwarf Fortress but I never stopped trying. Thankfully RimWorld definitely makes me feel like DF did. 

That's far too difficult for me to decide. I have many favorites of different genres and my tastes are always changing. At the moment the games I am pumping the most time into are RimWorld, and Civ 5. I normally also play RPG/ARPG games but I've recently burnt myself out on Oblivion, Skyrim, Grim Dawn...

I once lost a level 92 Hardcore Ladder Diablo 2 character which was in a high position for that season because I Alt-tabbed without going to town when my lady friend and I were having an argument. I recall coming back to the computer already heated only to be crushed.

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
    I'm a honey nut cheerios kind of guy.

Mystic

I'm a software developer professionally, who moonlights as a musician/composer (I released a self-produced album on Bandcamp this summer, which I won't link to here because doing so could be perceived as being financially motivated).  When I was (much) younger it was the other way around ... music was my FT job back then, and programming was something I played at in my spare time.

After starting out in the Unix world, for about two decades I used, owned and developed for DOS/Windows PCs only.  Then I was introduced to the world of Macs through (believe it or not) a requirements that I develop software for them at work.  At first I resisted, but after a few months the Mac finally "clicked" for me, and I bought my first of many Macs.  I still program for Windows systems at my FT job, but at home I now own and use nothing but Macs and other Apple devices.  It's a happy obsession.

What introduced me to Rimworld was a Scott Manley video on YouTube.  I've never played Dwarf Fortress or any other similar game (or even heard of them before, really).  Which was probably for the best, because I can easily see how I might get obsessive about this style of game.  So now I'm probably in trouble.   ;)

Other than Rimworld, my favorite games have either been 4X games like Civ or (especially) MoO, or else games with a huge sandbox like TES: Skyrim.   I also spent way too much time playing Privateer about 20 years ago or so, and am "dreading" next year's expected release of Elite: Dangerous for the Mac, which looks like the same thing on steroids and which may well have the same effect on me!  So in general I like big, open-ended games where your activities are self-directed and self-paced, which is probably why Rimworld has me by the short hairs already.

Favorite cereal: Puffins Honey Rice. There's actually a long story behind that, but one which I'll not be relating right now.   :'(

Zeta Omega

Hey, ive been here a while but I don't think I have ever introduced myself. Names Zeta, and I think rimworld is just the greatest, the enemy, the events, the colonists, and not to mention the mods. Keep up the amazing work players and creators

Angie

'allo all you fellow colonizers!  ;D

My name is Angie, and I'm happy to find this little lovely community. I saw Rimworld a few months back, but recently was reminded of it when I saw it being streamed by Marcus aka djWheat on good-old Twitch. Well, after watching him play for a couple of days and getting frustrated/drawn in deeper I realized that I had to buy it for myself. My first session was over 5 hours last night- I'm already hooked.

Glad to be here, in the early stages, and preparing for an exciting entralling adventure with the lot of ya!

Cheers, and stay alive!

Zsword

Heyo! I'm Zsword, I found this game from a few youtubers I watch, specifically from Bay12, aka 'the dwarf fortress crew'. I'd say I'm far to analytic, and almost always play these sorts of games on stupidly easy settings, cause, I'm really bad at them and don't like losing. >.>;;

skullywag

I probably should do this...

Im Skullywag 31 avid gamer and software programmer by trade. I know a few languages c# being one of my rusty ones, hoping to change that with the modding of Rimworld. I chat a lot so expect to see me all over tye forums in any old topic.  :)
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Aregul

Ladies and Gentlemen,

My name is Dave. I have lurked about this community for a while now, and finally decided to join in.

As a child, I dreamed of growing up and becoming a knight. During my formative years, this resulted in me being "Sir David" of my mom's backyard and woods, where I would rescue my neighbor Kristen as my damsel in distress (although it took me several more years before i figured out what to do with said damsel after I rescued her). Although I, alas, did not grow into knighthood in the forests of Michigan, it did strike my imagination for knights, and then star ships, because, what is cooler then a knight with a laser gun? Books brought my dream to me, which then led me to story-driven video games. RTS games whereupon I could develop my own story, simulation games where I could put myself into the game; RPGs where you are sucked into the game; games of that nature. A friend introduced me to prison architect, which I enjoy on the odd occasion. The forums of Prison Architect led me to here. I believe I shall stay awhile, and maybe even listen.

As mentioned above, I enjoy a broad range of games. Age of Empires, Empire Earth, Rise of Nations, all sorts of RTS games are what I grew up on, whilst games like Skyrim, Prison Architect, and stuff like that are also enjoyable.

I was in the Army. In garrison (not deployed, in country), and I had just started playing my PS3 with my brother (on microphone) when my slightly tipsy girl friend came in and suggested a few things loud enough to be heard over the open mic. Little did I know, my mother was at my Brother's house where he had the audio coming out of his TV instead of headset. On top of that, my Sargent found the idea hilarious and told my entire platoon about it.  Although not truly caused by gaming, the "Battlefield Incident" as it has become known as, was fairly high on this list.

Honey Bunches of Oats. My dad works (and has for a longggg time) at the factory where they produce it, so I literally grew up with it. I oftentimes eat it for dinner or another supposedly odd meal when I'm lazy and my wife lets me get away with it.

C. Fenderson

Yo.  I'm Celia Fenderson.  I'm a blogger and a modder.  I don't know anything relating to actual coding, but XML gets the job done.  If I ever need to, I'll learn to later.

I was digging around on the Linux Game Database and I saw someone mention this in relation to a game that looked interesting, so I looked up a few youtube videos on it and thought it was nice.  Also because it's Linux compatible.  As for the style, I like sandbox type games and always have.  Not having any kind of story to follow has always led me to fill in the blanks.

I don't play much of anything else at the moment, but if I do, it's RuneScape.

Don't think I have one, actually.

Rice Crispies with no sugar.

ReapDa

I've played Prison Architect, and the art style obviously stuck out when I saw Rimworld for the first time. I realized that the art style was very similar, but the gameplay was a bit different in terms of goals. I enjoy sandbox games because I don't like being forced down a linear path. Not everyone thinks the same, and we should be able to make our own choices that affect our experience.

I really love Half-Life 2 and other source games. (My avatar is a Hunter I drew.) I'm not huge on FPS games but will accept them as long as it's interesting or unique. Call of Duty FPS types are not my style. I enjoy RTS and Simulation/Strategy games as well as RPG's. I guess I'm really open to a lot of games actually...

I'm not sure really.. or I just can't remember a good one at the moment. Maybe playing Wurm Online. That game is not worth the time consumed in my opinion.

Chocolate Pebbles or something? Maybe the Golden Grahams though.. yum.

Romi

This awesome game it should be on steam already!

Visitor000

Hello, my name is John Gvon Witterman
(Liers Anonymous)
Naa
I am Nathan
i come from the land down under.

I was introduced in to Rimworld via YouTube... I think it was EnterElysium.
I then decided to get the game

Other Favourite game A Dark Room
(i like text-braced management games)

well one was.. i was playing Diablo II and i was playing multilayer with 2 others... and i had a level one character, and i was fighting Diablo the Lord of terror, yea there was alot of my bodies on the floor, *Anonymous* was micro-Managing his inventory and every other 30 seconds he saw me coming out of the only portal.

breakfast cereal... humm... nope don't have one.
I am a creator of Worlds. I give birth to children of varying backgrounds. I manipulate and torture at a will, causing pain and suffering to all those around me. But am also merciful in some cases, bringing joy and prosperity when I see fit.

I am an Author.

Necrosin

Whats up. My name is Necrosin and I would like to say hello and that I really love Rimworld.

What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general? I have been a fan of other "Retro" style games like Terreria and Minecraft. My friend knew this and showed me Rimworld. I played on his game for a couple hours and had to have it.

What's your favorite other game? I like creation and management games alot. I see a great potential for Rimworld to be an excellent example of both.

Most embarrassing gaming-related story? In Vampire the Masquerade My Ventrue Prince accidently caused the Religeous Civil War to begin in Belfast Ireland.
DM: "You hear something up ahead in the mist."
Lacey: "I throw a stick at it."
DM: "At the Mist?"
Lacey: "Yes."
DM: 0_o

tarickstonefire

Hello! I'm new, got the game yesterday and was up till 4am watching my first five colonies slowly die due to player incompetence and colonist stupidity:

"Hey idiot, why are you starving? You're standing in the kitchen making 50 meals! You're surrounded by food! Stop and eat one you fool! Oh, you've died of starvation. Huh."

Love it :D

Found the game while perusing the very angry Spacebase DF9 forums. Lots of people saying this was the game they should have got. I had held off buying SBDF9 due to slow progress and very unhappy forums. The forums here are overflowing with praise - and now I know why!

I have no idea what I'm doing and will likely take me many colonies to get up to speed, but I just love each and every session. Great game, looking forward to seeing it grow, just like my colonies!

postm00v

My name is Maarten, and I live in the Netherlands. I've been gaming for a lot of years now, but my favorite game has to be Baldurs Gate 2 : Shadows of Amn. I completed that like 10 times.

I stumbled upon this on YouTube yesterday, and immediatly made a PayPal account. Just waiting for it to clear (which can take up to 2 days, ugh.)

Looking forward to playing this!

While I'm at it, I might as well ask a question; Is there some kind of political system in this game? I remember in Dwarf Fortress there were several 'noble' positions. I was curious if this has something similar.