Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrewjenkins

I am unemployed at the moment. As a matter of fact, I study. I am a student and here, http://bigessaywriter.com/blog/10-tips-how-to-determine-your-ideal-productive-hours-of-day this article is for you. It reflects the matter of ideal productive hours of a day. It might be extremely interesting for you.

Shian

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
I think I was looking for a substitute to DF and was consuming everything I could get my hands on just to get that fix.

-What's your favorite other game?
Um. Depends on the day. Right now it's Black Desert Online. I'd love to play DF, but it melted the CPU of the computer two computers ago so I'm not allowed to play it. Plus, I never got past nobles and died to lagdeath. Not allowed to play it but boy did I laugh until I couldn't breathe most days.

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
Uhhh.... I really liked the F.E.A.R. saga. But I don't like playing horror games. So I bullied a coworker into coming over and playing it for me so I could watch. (I was in Japan and you paid not only by the hour but by bandwidth. Also, Youtube playthroughs wasn't that popular yet)

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
I like wheat chex and honey chex. Just cycle those out. One, Two. One, Two. Sadly, it also falls to the "sounds like kibble" debuff.

RogalDorn01

Saw it on steam, saw that it was essentially what I had always wanted Dwarf Fortress to be, saw the overwhelmingly positive reviews.  Only the 2nd full price steam game purchased in 2016.  Lost my first colony to a horde of boomalopes hanging outside my base...I hunted one.  My buddies spent all last weekend drinking various beverages and trying to get a colony to survive the first season. Absolutely loving this game, I can see so much potential here.

-What's your favorite other game?  This is a brutally difficult question to answer, so I will do by genre.
RPG - Mass Effect Series (Despite the endings)
CRPG - Final Fantasy 3 (6 in japan)
RTS - Starcraft (all of them)
Grand Strategy - Crusader Kings 2
Turn Based Strat - Civ 5

Wow...there are a lot of genres.  I am just going to stop there for now because I think anyone wants to know that my favorite racing game is Burnout 2.  Ok now I'm done...

There was that time last weekend when I had too much rum and forgot to reset my grower to grow food as top priority and didn't realize it until I got a low food warning.  But probably my secret shame is that I went LARPING once ten years ago and still have super vivid and fun memories from the weekend in the woods...who knew that trying to be stealthy in real life is way way harder than it is in games...

I go for whole grain oatmeal (no instant!) and a hard boiled egg.  Breakfast must be earned!

NuclearNate

What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?

I searched, "Sci-fi colony game" in google during A11... sold.

fav other game: Dark Souls 3.

embarassing: I'm just generally bad at games. Good thing losing is fun?

cereal: Honey bunches of oats with ALmonds!

I also always pick a favorite colonist. :)

Kia_K

Well, my name is Rvlakia (yes, that is my actual name) and understandably, most people call me Kia. I'm not particularly adept at gaming so I tend to stick to single-player options and am very particular about what I play.

I follow a couple of Youtubers specifically to get a feel for games. I saw this one of SplatterCat's channel and got very interested, despite it not being my usual sort of thing.

Alice: Madness Returns. I love its light horror genre, which is sadly forgotten about in this age of ultra-twistedness and jumpscares...

Don't have one; I rarely embarrass myself as I don't play games with other people.

Chocolate pillows, but they are getting annoyingly expensive these days  >:(

New_Roman

Hi everyone! My name is Mitch, which is short for Mitchell and has the unfortunate setback of rhyming with several other awful words. Anyways I am new to Rimworld but not city management sims. Right now I am hooked on Rimworld like you would not believe, especially since it happens in space. Currently I am prepping for graduate school, where I hope to attend a program in Astrobiology.

-What introduced you to Rimworld? Or to this style of game in general?
I started playing management sims after watching an excellent lp youtuber named Aavak (phenomenal btw...truly a must see). I delayed on getting Rimworld because life threw other things my way until just recently however.

I know its probably to 'mainstream' to be cool, but I love Skyrim and feel as if it has given me the highest level of immersion, enjoyment, and down right entertainment value of any game out there. Although Rimworld might be a competitor :).

So I was playing Farcry 3 when the most embarrasing thing happened. Keep in mind that I have never played a Farcry game before. Anyways here I was collecting pretty blue flowers from a stagnant pond when BAM!!! A massive set of crocodile jaws blots out the tv screen. Not surprisingly I sprung off my couch screaming bloody murder. The only reason I survived in game is because I was so pumped with fear-induced adrenaline I went into the flight or fight response. Long story short I was in a full standing position and one step away from a panic attack.

Well my mom had the awful notion that oatmeal was better for us...so I didn't really develop a favorite as a kid. So I am gonna go with boring old Life cereal, any kind.

Klongtjong

Hello everybody. Great game, nice forum, bought the game in 2014 IIRC, have played too many hours of it.

Larthienn

Hello,

I'm working as Workday Consultant (ERP system for people management), but my huge dream was always to develop my own game *.* I have tons of ideas! But sooo less time :( But maybe will go for diploma in Game design or Animation :) will have something to do on weekends :P

-What Introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
I saw one episode which Nothernlinon was playing and I loved playing Banished, so I wanted to check out this one as well :)
Starcraft II, Banished was great, but I'm waiting for PC version of No Man's Sky and that might be one of my favourite games :)
Not sure if that would be embarrassing, but while I was playing Starcraft II, I had break between matches I started typing on ingame chat... and since I am female gamer, guys went nuts... a lot of invites, and wierd comments :P apparently Starcraft II is not game for girls T.T
I am on diet T.T no cereals for me :( but I loved Kangoos and Cini Minis with cinnamon flavour

Stagus

Hi. Stagus from central Scotland here.....middle aged gamer!

Always loved strategy.  This looked cool.

We have all the game systems in the house and I've been playing Prison Architect on the Xbox until our shiny new PC appeared.  So in a way PA is responsible for the Rimworld purchase because the Xbox couldn't really handle PA.

I used to COD a fair bit with a clan of very funny guys from Glasgow.  On a Thursday night I used to have a glass of wine or two when I played.  On one particular occasion I had imbibed a wee bit too much and was being instructed by my clan that the enemy was right in front of me but couldn't see me but alas I was blissfully ignorant of their colourful advice and after an age was dispatched by the guy whose back I had been looking at for way too long.

Porridge

ahowe42

Hi All.  Andrew here, from the US but living working in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.  Yes it's hot.  No, we don't *only* drive camels ;-).

I've been playing sims off and on for a looong time (but no "Sims" - I have standards).  I remember an Ant Colony sim (ok ok, forget what I said about standards), Zoo Tycoon, a Business Tycoon game, etc... I found RimWorld through social networking; one of my coworkers is a gamer, and he mentioned it.
Changes too often.  I really really enjoy the AC and Halo series on Xbox.  Shout out to Far Cry 3 & 4 too.  I'm also into WoW, but thinking to break up, now that they changed all my 100-level character's abilities without asking permission.  I also play a lot of puzzle games: Portal, Plague Inc, The Room.
Can't think of any really interesting.  The closest was in RimWorld when I was still a super noob (now I'm just a noob) and I accidentally trapped all my colonists but one inside by having the other build something in front of the only functioning door.  And I was wondering why they were all starving :-D.
Life.  Period.

Alpha393

Uh, hi.
<- My name is over there

I was introduced to Rimworld when etalyx/Gamersdissent did a series for it, but couldn't buy it at the time because my family's Mac absolutely hates auto-updating software not directly built into steam. Since it's out on steam, I can enjoy arguably one of the best survival/rts games ever. Woo!

One funny story that I have is when I ordered a bionic leg to be installed on a colonist who was missing one. my best doctor brought the medicine over, realized he was starving, and went off to grab some food. I was busy laying out blueprints, so I didn't notice him raiding the wine cellar.

I decided to check up on the surgery, and I found him passed out drunk one bed over from the patient, with another doctor finishing the surgery. I have no idea what happened when I looked away, because my best doctor was drunk, in a medical bed, and missing a bionic leg. I may have forgotten about a bill to remove his for replacement by advanced ones. That still doesn't explain him being drop dead drunk.

NullQuery

Hi. I'm known by NullQuery. I came across Rimworld because Steam recommended it to me. I noticed it looked very similar to Prison Architect and after 2 days of pondering I bought the game because the concept sounds good.

What I love about these types of games is that they allow for a great sense of freedom. You can add your own things to the world if you're not against writing some code. Regardless of that each playthrough involves a unique world with new stories to tell.

I'm particularly interested in multiplayer games of this nature because then you can share your stories with other people, but I've found existing games such as Minecraft to lack a great deal of freedom. There are other games I've discovered that offer much more freedom, but they're very niche and complicated. By far the best game of the lot is multiplayer and involves players being stuck on a space station with each other, trying to keep the station running and watching their back for traitors. There's not much of a strategy element to that game though which I find to be comforting given the lack of time I have nowadays.

That said I do play other games. I'm a fan of Team Fortress 2 due to its cartoony nature (i.e., doesn't take itself too seriously), and I own a copy of Tabletop Simulator to play board games with random people.

I used to be in charge of various (insignificant) multiplayer gaming communities, and I would spend my time developing developing multiplayer environments, writing the laws of nature for role-playing communities. Basically like a DM, except instead of telling my story through words telling it through computer code instead. I still think that's something I enjoy doing, but I haven't had the motivation to do anything with my 13 years of experience yet. :(

As for breakfast cereal: I don't eat any. In fact, for a long time I never even ate any breakfast.

CakeOP101

ArtisticFarmer

My boyfriend told me about Rimworld because it's blistering hot here in the Florida so I'd rather spend August (and probably most of September) playing a video game.

I like building cities and managing characters. In no particular order - Tropico, Dwarf Fortress, Cities:Skylines. Banished was fun until I figured out how to "win" all the time. Played Minecraft and tried Terraria for a little while years ago, but didn't stick with them. Minecraft was only fun when I was taught how to spawn all the specific blocks I wanted so I could build like Lego, and for some reason Terraria just didn't hook me.
I'm really enjoying learning to play Rimworld. It's complicated and the (reset-able) unpredictability settings make it fun to keep playing. I just get frustrated when I only have three colonists that can wield weapons and seven strong baddies show up, even in slightly easier mode settings.  Thank goodness for autosaves and randomized AI events.

I have no idea how to install or use mods.

Cinnamon Life and Oh's

Njn0225

Well I suppose I'll answer the questions because why not?

So what introduced me to Rimworld? Well a fella called Northerlion began a series on it and I got interested, I saved up a bit of money and here I am.

My top 3 favorite games as far as I can remember are...
3. Terraria, great game, fun game play, bosses, weapons, all that good stuff,
2. Borderlands in general, fun story, great characters, enjoyed the weapons, overall a fun time till the very end,           
1. Skyrim, adventure ahoy, I enjoyed going 'round fighting monsters, stealing from people, modding, all of the good things I could and did do

In terms of embarrassing gaming storied? I'm not too sure, I can remember a lot of embarrassing things though I guess I could talk about... something, I'm not sure what to talk about, i'm drawing a blank ya know? So I suppose I'll skip this one, though I can say i'm listening to Creepypastas right now, something about a murderer and agents trying to figure stuff out while the FBI follows them.

And finally favorite breakfast serial, i'd have to say I enjoy me a bit of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, close second is Receeses Puffs and third is Fruity Pebbles.

So yeah, there's some basic information related to me as a person, hope you enjoyed.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]