Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaz Serir

Hi there! I'm Chaz, I'm an unemployed chap from northeast Scotland who draws silly comics and plays games to keep himself sane. One of these games happens to now be Rimworld, as I'd heard the name mentioned by a friend, and decided to look it up!

I just picked up the game today so I'm still figuring things out, but I decided to drop the extra $10/�6 to get my name in the game, just because this game looks really cool, and I love a lot of the ideas behind its design (Particularly the focus on not having too many colonists - in part because it's more fun to be attached to your colonists, and in part because managing hundreds of peoples' needs is a bit of a micromanagement nightmare for me, so smaller numbers are easier to work with!)

I'm looking forward to seeing where this game goes, for sure!

EDIT: Oh! There's questions to answer, too! I love answering questions, here goes:

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
Dwarf Fortress was my very first, found out about it from someone on an IRC way back and ended up falling in love with the concept (Particularly the ever-amazing tale of Boatmurdered). I found out about RimWorld in particular from a passing mention from a friend, decided to google it, ended up deciding it was my type of game!
-What's your favorite other game?
Far too many to list all of them, but ones I've been playing recently include Minecraft modpacks (Tekkit/Tech World 2/Resonant Rise being my favourite Technic/FTB/ATLauncher packs respectively), Euro Truck Simulator 2, Space Engineers, Factorio, and the Elite: Dangerous Premium Beta! As you can probably tell, there's a running theme in there - LOGISTICS! \o/ I love games where transporting goods from one place to another is a large part of the gameplay, and that can apply to all of those titles.
-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
I have many! One time I was playing Rainbow Six 3 on the PC when a friend was over. I opened a door and an AI terrorist shot me dead between the eyes. Scared the daylights out of me - my friend claims I jumped back six feet, I'd been so startled by it! There's also the time I lost all sense of direction in the tutorial of Metro 2033 while at a friend's house. Basically, Me + Games + Friends nearby = general embarassment on my part.
-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
Again, many choices come to mind. Crunchy Nut, Curiously Cinnamon (Previously Cinnamon Grahams, known in the US as Cinnamon Toast Crunch), heck, I even like Bran Flakes. Don't judge me.

TezzaMM

Hi there. My name is Terry. Saw this game in one of many let's play series I watch on youtube and just had to try it out.  Played it at a friends and got totally hooked. Was gonna wait until Steam release but it was starting to look like I should either move in with my friend or buy my own copy of the game, so I decided to buy the game :) .
Great game, great community and great modders all = happy Terry.

A bit about myself. I studied computing in the early 90s including ancient programming languages such as COBOL and have done no coding since. Recently was running my own PC repair, upgrade business but had to close due to illness.

So not working at the moment but playing lots of games such as Skyrim (PS3), Xcom up to Apocalypse  and the Xenonauts remake, console version is also suprisingly good particularly Enemy Within.

Love games like Rimworld and surprised to see the excellent cover system and strategic battles of the colonists, being a fan of Firefly probably helped. Nice mixture of Sci-fi and wild west frontier settlement. Good to see a game that's not afraid to kill off every colonist as part of the many stories made by these types of games.

Looking forward to the updates and Mods.

N-Tempest

Hey all, I'm Xane Tempest (Real name Nathaniel) and I'd like to say 'Hai!'

My best friend send me a link
-What's your favourite other game?
changes day-to-day... usually first person shooters and the such though
(backstory, i'm british) I'm gaming online and my accent goes spare (i think i was yelling insults in londoner) and an American dude started laughing. We decided to swap accents and he was a posh british limey, i was a hillbilly yokel.
Two games later (new teammates too) someone shouted "Hey you, english, give me a hand!"
Of course, being the only brit there, i ran over.
"no not you, the english guy!"
me and the other guy (now talking normally) had to explain it all to this guy who honestly thought i was some heavily inbred redneck who was trying to marry his cousin... Honestly, i was more worried about offending than actually convincing people!
wouldn't know... i tend to eat dinner for breakfast XD

zypher146

Hi, I'm from Thailand
It's really great to be the part of this community
this game it's awesome
I'm wait for the great mod or other dev. patch

BetaSpectre

Knew about Rimworld from FTL somehow.
Got a lil interested when I heard it was Dwarf Fortress in SPACE, but only started playing after my Bro bought the game.

I like Fallout alot :3.

In game I've lost a colony due to a Squirrel attack, I've killed raids of over 100-150 raiders, 25-50 centapedes at this point. Total kill count in like the thousands. I was not pleased. All my colonists were spread looting the map and bam Divide and conquer at its finest and lots of friendly minigun fire (all colonists only had Miniguns)
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Ink.

Hi. I'm Will, aka Ink., aka Asshole. Whichever anyone prefers really. I'm a very active gamer and very much into role-playing, RPG's and strategy games, which RimWorld has tickled a little bit. I'm from New York in the United States and am a college student, CIS major.

What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
I've played RPGish Strategy games before, I grew up on Command and Conquer and what not but I've also liked games like Civilization 5 and even Minecraft. I enjoy both the combat aspects of these sort of games aswell as the management aspects.

I found out about RimWorld through a streamer known as Sacriel. I go to watch his stream as usual and he's playing it. Suddenly in CS:GO I'm dying a lot and losing match after match because my eyes are glued to the stream. Needless to say despite my intentions to be an adult and save my money I bought RimWorld anyway. No regrets.

What's your favorite other game?
This is a hard one to directly choose. It's a toss up between Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (because I play the multiplayer mod daily) or Gears of War (the entire series). I've spent sad amounts of time on both of those.

Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
I could recite my first colony and the tragedy on how I lost everyone. Haha.

I dunno, I don't really have any embarrassing stories really (in gaming at least).

What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?

Wheaties, with or without a little bit of sugar on top.

juanger

hi

im Juan, i found Rimworld after looking for similar games to Prison Architect, and personally i think that Rimword is the far better game so far. It may be a bit rough around the edges at the moment, but aren't we all? Now i just need to stop playing it so i can get back to all the other games im behind with, ie. them all  . ..

oldskoolsouljaz

I love the game! Stumbled across it on accident on youtube from a user named Sips!   :D
Im a big fan of the Zelda series, Fallout, Kings Quest, The Sims Etc Etc...
Embarressing gaming moment sneaking game purchases(*cough* like this one) behind my wifes back lol!
Lucky Charms, Frosted flakes, corn pops, frankenberry etc...lmfao!

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

hyperkiller

I started to play as i say one of my youtube subscribers started to play it. then after that I got hooked.

My Favorite other game atm is another alpha game called "Space Engineers"

most embarrassing so far, would be having all my guys (in this game) next to a motor and a raider shot and blew it up so all my guys instantly died... kinda funny in a way tho

Bog

Well I'm not new, but I haven't posted here yet...  :P so ...

-What introduced you to RimWorld? - I heard about it via waiting for the now released new version of Dwarf Fortress*.

Or to this style of game in general? - I've been gaming since I was literally a toddler... I'm the youngest of 4, and all my older siblings have been gaming since before I was born. I grew up on games like Civilization (the original when it first came out, and of course later the rest of them), Railroad Tycoon, Covert Action, Jetpack, GOT, Age of Empires, and literally hundreds more.

-What's your favorite other game? - Changes day by day. It largely depends on my mood. I play all sorts. I'd guess strategy games (both real time and turn based) take the largest piece of the pie so to speak, but aren't even a majority.

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story? - Not too many, honestly. I suppose that the most embarrassing things are usually the times where you accidentally do something very noobish even though you're a very experienced gamer. An incident that comes to mind from a while ago was when I was playing Planetside 2:

I had spawned as a medic, switched to my "medical applicator" by pressing "3", aimed at the nearest hurt allies' head and pulled the trigger to heal him... only to find out that I had in fact spawned as a heavy assault, so pressing "3" got out my rocket launcher. :o Whoops.

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best? I've unfortunately not gotten it much over the course of my life, but Steak and Eggs is by far the best "cereal" in the world.  ;D

*Well technically it's called Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress: Histories of X and Y**, but just saying "Dwarf Fortress" usually gets the point across.  ;)

**Where X and Y are words randomly generated every time you start up the game.
Divergence of Civilization Lead Developer (in this case that's the fancy way of saying "Only Developer")

Project Armoury Developer (New huge 2.13 Release now live!)

De1ta

What introduced you to RimWorld?
-A friend of mine on Steam sent me the link to the Greenlight page, I was intrigued, and I ended up watching a few series on YouTube before deciding to buy it.
Or to this style of game in general?
-I've been playing Strategy/City-Building games since I was about 7, starting with the Civilization and Age of Empires series, then moving on into other games like Anno when they came out.  Needless to say, I've always been a fan of these kinds of games, and I really like how RimWorld (at least in this stage of development), has no set goals, other than pure survival and building the spaceship.
What's you favorite other game?
-Hands down, Civilization IV (w/ Beyond the Sword).  I have great memories of sitting down in the winter and playing some marathon games, and I fondly remember playing the Fall from Heaven mod/modmods with friends. 
Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
-Hmm, tough one.  It was pretty embarrassing when I fell asleep during my turn on a Fall from Heaven game, kept everyone waiting for almost 20 minutes  :D.  And then also general noob stuff that happens in games I consider myself experienced in.
What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
Leftovers!  ;D  More seriously, Cheerios.

MoneyFish

Hello! Any other South Americans out there?
I'm from a small country called Suriname (On the northern border of Brazil) And an aspiring game developer! Just started learning C# and getting a hang of the ins and outs of Unity, and I hope to learn a lot from Mr Tynan and his amazing game!

I've played a lot of Dwarf Fortress and I love the survival/management style of gameplay. Bought into quite a few games with the same style including Towns, Gnomoria, and Stonehearth, but so Rimworld is by far my favorite because of it's unique style.

I play a lot of KSP as well as Firefall and some LoL. I have a broad taste in games.

I played EVE Online for 5 years. I have a lot of war stories, many of them very embarrassing.

Corn Pops, Cocoa Crispies, and Apple Jacks, all mixed together.

Xyereth

Hello~ I am Xyereth, and I've been on the forums for a little while, just not very chatty :3

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?-
On youtube, the youtuber Sips did a playthrough of this game, which I watched~ I originally got this game on the Piratebay, it has like 100 different versions of this game.... And then I decided to pledge my money to this awesome game and buy it, got it for my birthday last month.

-What's your favorite other game?-
Minecraft! :3 Expert builder/Architect

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?-
Well my inablility to play Prison Architect without losing all my prisoners in two minutes.... Every time I make a new prison.. I just suck..

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?-
Chocolate Lucky Charms!

I hope I can contribute to the game in some way, I would love to see a feature I came up with implemented...... :P

Celthric Aysen

NOT NEW, BUT SINCE I HAVEN'T POSTED HERE YET SINCE I FIRST GOT HERE I ALREADY STARTED CONTRIBUTING TO THE FORUMS WITHOUT INTRODUCING MYSELF, SO I MIGHT AS WELL POST THINGS ABOUT ME:

-WHAT INTRODUCED YOU TO RIMWORLD? OR TO THIS STYLE OF GAME IN GENERAL?-
STUFF+ SENT ME HERE, I REALLY LOVE INDIE GAMES LIKE DWARF FORTRESS AND PRISON ARCHITECT, AND THIS GAME IS JUST ONE OF THOSE THAT I LOVE AND PLAY ALL DAY LONG ^_^

-WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE OTHER GAME?-
FTL,COMMAND AND CONQUER GENERALS ZERO HOUR,GTA SERIES, WATCH_DOGS, CALL OF DUTY SERIES, PRISON ARCHITECT, THE FOREST, CS:GO, BATTLEFIELD 4, COMPANY OF HEROES, UNTURNED, AMNESIA, SLENDER MAN, AND MANY MANY MORE

-MOST EMBARRASSING GAMING-RELATED STORY?-
WELL IT WAS WHEN I WAS PLAYING MINECRAFT, WHICH I THOUGHT WAS A FRIENDLY GAME, I CAME ACROSS THIS MOBS CALLED CREEPERS, NOT KNOWING WHAT THEY ARE I CAME NEARER AND THEY CAME CLOSE TO ME THEN BOOM! BTW DID I MENTION I HAD A DIAMOND PICK AXE AND ALSO 12 DIAMONDS ON MY POCKET?

-WHAT KIND OF BREAKFAST CEREAL IS THE BEST?-
FROSTED FLAKES AND CINNAMON TOAST CEREAL!
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

Zeta Omega

Hello everyone. Im Zeta Omega, you may just call me Zeta. I was introduced to rimworld when I was browsing youtube, It looked like an amazing game so I kept watching the vanilla and modded playthroughs, eventually I decided to buy the game and ive been enjoying since then. also............Long Live the MECHANOIDS!