[B18] Right Tool For The Job: Rebalanced (v 0.18.1.3) (Dec 28th, 2017)

Started by Sixdd, May 30, 2017, 12:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixdd

I was actually trying to think of tools to add to the tribal stage, before electricity. I'll look into the idea of a Shielded Toolbelt but it would most likely be weaker than the regular shield belt in order to maintain some kind of balance.

SpaceDorf

For the Tribals Rock Tools come to mind, made at the stone-cutting workbench or the crafting spot after researching stonecutting.

As shield belt I could think of a Totem or Medicin Belt which protects the wearer spiritually from Bullets ..
maybe 50 Hp which would save the wearer from a Headshot by Sniper once ..

And why don't you create the tools as project like weapons or apparel ?
The you could use longer production times.
Which should be one of the main differences .. a tribal or cheap toolbelt can be done in a day or two of work.
A power tool belt needs several days for the tools.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Swat_Raptor

So I saw that the stats for the tool belt has changed from global work speed to a few more specified stats.

this makes enough sense to me

but I kinda did like using the tool belt in previous versions to boost my crafting.

thou this made me realize that there isn't really any mods which add something along the lines of a advanced tool chest, or perhaps a table saw or drill press, or air compressor, things which I would expect to see in any respectable tool shop but that I don't see in Rimworld.

Tanelorn

I love this mod and consider it essential. Please consider a steam workshop release as that is the best way for users to stay updated.

Sixdd

@SpaceDorf - I like the idea of using a solid rock chunk to break down into smaller tool parts, then using those tool parts to make stone tools. Would that be too micro?

@Swat_Raptor - I like the ideas, I may have a look into some toolchest style objects.

@Tanelorn - The only reason I don't have a steam release up yet is that I want to make sure the mod is in a good place so I don't have to worry about too many bug reports coming from all over. Mostly I just want to get the features ironed out first then I can look at a Steam release. But it is planned, just not yet.

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

lorebot

Does the mod still require a pawn to have hands to use the tools? I remember that being an issue with the original mod because even advanced arm replacements, such as bionic arms, don't have hands or fingers in the stats so the tools can't be used by pawns who've had both arms replaced even if they got super expensive bionics.

Tanelorn

Quote from: Sixdd on June 20, 2017, 02:01:22 AM
@SpaceDorf - I like the idea of using a solid rock chunk to break down into smaller tool parts, then using those tool parts to make stone tools.

I would greatly appreciate recipes that allow us to make tools in tribal, and I also feel strongly that the hammer, axe, and pickaxe should be craftable without needing electricity tech.  I think the precursor intermediate ingredients is probably taking it too far, and I don't think requiring stone cutting  is much of a problem for tribal tools. I would just have the recipe require stone blocks and wood.

Sixdd

Quote from: lorebot on June 25, 2017, 06:44:19 AM
Does the mod still require a pawn to have hands to use the tools? I remember that being an issue with the original mod because even advanced arm replacements, such as bionic arms, don't have hands or fingers in the stats so the tools can't be used by pawns who've had both arms replaced even if they got super expensive bionics.

I don't honestly know, I haven't tested that yet. Though if it was a problem with previous versions you can expect it still exists in the current version. I don't really know how to fix that kind of thing either since I don't touch anything with bionics.

lorebot

Quote from: Sixdd on June 25, 2017, 12:55:02 PM
I don't honestly know, I haven't tested that yet. Though if it was a problem with previous versions you can expect it still exists in the current version. I don't really know how to fix that kind of thing either since I don't touch anything with bionics.

I did some looking around and it seems the issue still exists with some other mods that deal with hands and feet. Specifically it's Bionic arms and legs, they don't come with hands or feet, fingers or toes. It's something Tynan will have to address at some point because any mod that makes changes to a vanilla asset (such as bionic arms and legs) will interfere with any other mod that tries to use or change those assets as well.

viperwasp

I'm getting errors with this mod. Something to do with Woodlogs. I think the game changed woodlogs to just wood? So it's outdated now?
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

Sam Gray

Quote from: viperwasp on July 13, 2017, 02:19:48 PM
I'm getting errors with this mod. Something to do with Woodlogs. I think the game changed woodlogs to just wood? So it's outdated now?

There is a misspell in RecipeDefs, specifically in fixedIngredientFilter that causes this issue.
woodlogs should be changed to woodlog and metals should be changed to steel, this fixed the errors for me.

viperwasp

Quote from: CyanSam on July 13, 2017, 02:48:48 PM
Quote from: viperwasp on July 13, 2017, 02:19:48 PM

There is a misspell in RecipeDefs, specifically in fixedIngredientFilter that causes this issue.
woodlogs should be changed to woodlog and metals should be changed to steel, this fixed the errors for me.

Thanks man! Finally 25+ mods with no error messages at all popping up. Took some work but I tried fixing this myself and I did not know that was the correction that was needed. Perfect that was easy to fix.
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

Sixdd

Kassidoo

As a suggestion to how to deal with the "no arms, no belt" issue, the solution I use at my end is to have the belt be an "Accessory" on the part "legs", as the accesory layer, in vanilla atleast, in only used by the portal shield thing which is torso I believe.