Dying to infection prior to 100%?

Started by Sola, June 01, 2017, 03:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sola

I had two infections.  One at 87% with 89% immunity, and one at 82% with 89% immunity.

A pawn called a party, Mami came out, then collapsed.   I had the doctor rescue her.  Hours later, she "died to infection", but was nowhere near that point.  Is it possible to die prior to 100% now?  Did something else kill her, and it just got attributed to infection?

The worst part was that I had over 20 medicines left, and would have used those if I knew this was a thing.

Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

DariusWolfe

This is a common misunderstanding. If you look at the torso, you've got an extreme infection and a gunshot; Between those two, it probably reduced the torso's functionality to 0% which is enough to kill.

Your pawn died of a combination of the infection and other wounds. It's the sort of thing that actually happens, too; Infection and bloodloss can be mostly under control, but a patient can still die due to shock or organ failure.

hoffmale

Quote from: DariusWolfe on June 01, 2017, 04:13:28 PM
This is a common misunderstanding. If you look at the torso, you've got an extreme infection and a gunshot; Between those two, it probably reduced the torso's functionality to 0% which is enough to kill.

Your pawn died of a combination of the infection and other wounds. It's the sort of thing that actually happens, too; Infection and bloodloss can be mostly under control, but a patient can still die due to shock or organ failure.
If you look at the second screenshot, it actually says "Efficiency: 0%" for the Torso.

DariusWolfe

Derp, so it does. For whatever reason, I only saw the first screenshot.

So, yeah, there you go then.

hoffmale

Actually, after thinking about it for a while, there should be the equivalent of 0.02 health left for the torso, unless the 70% are rounded (down).

Question for Tynan: Is this working as intended, or is there some rounding error?

Math:
(I'll keep everything in the same health units the torso uses, so 36 is max)

The infection causes -70% efficiency, that should be equivalent to: 0.7 * 36 = 25.2
The gunshot did 10.78 damage.

Health left: 36 - 25.2 - 10.78 = 0.02

(Converted to efficiency, that would be 0.0555...%, which would round down to 0%. Maybe that is the case here?)

PS: Yes, that would imply the colonist died to a rounding error...

Panzer

Yep, damage dealt to a body part reduces efficiency, and efficiency is a representation of body part hp. An adult torso has 40hp, but since it was a 15 yo child the torso only has 36hp. 25/36hp means the torso had only 69,44% efficiency, then the infection went extreme and applied -70% efficiency, killing your colonist :P

Should ve used some of that medicine instead of treating without ;)

EDIT: Yeah without harsh rounding the torso would have 25,22hp left, which means 70,06% efficiency. Math killed the colonist ;D

DariusWolfe

I would assume that displayed percentage values are rounded, yeah; I'd guess the 70% is rounded down from something, rather than the .02 efficiency being rounded down to 0, but I could easily be wrong; It could be that all effective percentages are rounded to the nearest whole percentage.

I wouldn't mind looking into the math on how infection percentage translates into the effective values listed under it. How does 87% infection mean 70% infection, or 85% pain?

But either way, 0% efficiency on a vital part like the torso or head is pretty much going to mean death.

EDIT:
QuoteShould ve used some of that medicine instead of treating without

Nice catch on the forbidden medicine. I was going to suggest it was just a bad treatment roll.

Panzer

Infection is split into 4 stages, minor, major at 33%, extreme at 78% and extreme past 87%. Each stage has a set list of debuffs that get applied to the infected body part.
From what I can gather medical tends only slow the infection progress down, immunity speed progress is the same regardless of tend quality or a tend happening, it is only modified by the bed type you re using, colonist age, liver and kidney state and whether you re fed or not.

DariusWolfe

Quote from: Panzer on June 01, 2017, 05:04:04 PM
Infection is split into 4 stages, minor, major at 33%, extreme at 78% and extreme past 87%. Each stage has a set list of debuffs that get applied to the infected body part.

Ah, so the 70% is almost certainly a flat 70%, then; so the rounding would most likely have been in the efficiency or perhaps the HP.

hoffmale

Quote from: DariusWolfe on June 01, 2017, 04:45:34 PM
I would assume that displayed percentage values are rounded, yeah; I'd guess the 70% is rounded down from something, rather than the .02 efficiency being rounded down to 0, but I could easily be wrong; It could be that all effective percentages are rounded to the nearest whole percentage.
My guess for the rounding error would be the efficiency calculation at the end (0.0555...% down to 0%).

Quote from: DariusWolfe on June 01, 2017, 04:45:34 PM
I wouldn't mind looking into the math on how infection percentage translates into the effective values listed under it. How does 87% infection mean 70% infection, or 85% pain?
Well, IIRC infections and diseases work in stages, so you get different health impairments depending on the stage you're in. As posted by Panzer, the infection just advanced to it most advanced stage (before killing the colonist by itself), which meant that the part efficiency just took another hit (which then killed the colonist).

EDIT: Made a bug report about this rounding issue, maybe this gets fixed :)

khearn

Let's see, 36 - 10.78 = 25.22 points available in addition to the Gunshot (charge lance).
25.22/36 = .7005555556, which rounds to 70%.

So while it was displaying 70%, the internal infection value was actually something between 70.0555556 and 70.5.

The lesson from this is that you should look at the body part's efficiency, not the infection level. If the efficiency starts getting low, break out the best meds you have.

Sola

Yeah. Obviously my bad, then.  Normally the actual wound is fully healed by the time the infection gets that far, but the poison ship fight was particularly messy.  Since this has never happened to me, I didn't think to check the efficiency.  She would have survived if I simply unforbid'd the medicine before treating.
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

khearn

Live and learn.

Or in this case, die and learn. :-/

DariusWolfe

It's part of the new learning curve; Since infections were broken in A16, we all got complacent; In addition, there were literally a half a dozen to a dozen tweaks to how infection works during the unstable period of A17, so even if you still remember infections from A15, it's going to be a bit different. I think it's a bit harder than A15 was, but not nearly as hard as it was on the first A17-unstable release.

Nainara

There ought to be an option to amputate infected body parts if the patient isn't going to survive otherwise.