This has got to stop :)

Started by mcfly666, April 26, 2014, 10:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geeves

Stone walls and well placed Sandbags + turret/colonist placement makes defending against wave after wave of tribal's rather easy.
Sure they will eventually (wave 15 or so, before repairing) start to deal damage to your base but until then....
You know it is bedtime when you open a file called GeneralEffecters.xml and the first 2 words you notice are: Butcher and Children.
==============
Learning to program is easy. Learning to put what is in your mind into programming code, now that is the hard part.

Orma

Most of my games end with me just alt+f4'ing right out.
Mainly becouse i got corpses all over the place and the constant tribe zerg galore just gets tedious and boring. Since they ALWAYS overrun you. No amount of turrets will save you from their rocks and bows.
Not to mention my computer starts to lag super hard when they spawn and when they are moving. Thats when they arrive with 70+ guys.
Throw in a limiter or give them more hp/armor not just a zerg.

daft73

Quote from: Orma on April 28, 2014, 03:36:34 PM
Most of my games end with me just alt+f4'ing right out.
Mainly becouse i got corpses all over the place and the constant tribe zerg galore just gets tedious and boring. Since they ALWAYS overrun you. No amount of turrets will save you from their rocks and bows.
Not to mention my computer starts to lag super hard when they spawn and when they are moving. Thats when they arrive with 70+ guys.
Throw in a limiter or give them more hp/armor not just a zerg.
You know you can slow down the onslaught, don't build or build very few turrets. Personally I don't use them, never found a need.

Orma

Slow down and limit is completely different. Just slowing down how many they send wont help much since they will still hit those insane laggy numbers later on. And it's game over.  :-\

longbyte1

Quote from: Orma on April 28, 2014, 03:53:14 PM
Slow down and limit is completely different. Just slowing down how many they send wont help much since they will still hit those insane laggy numbers later on. And it's game over.  :-\

Well for me the game doesn't lag very much when there are a lot of enemies. But of course, that doesn't mean it isn't a problem. How about just reducing the AI complexity for each enemy when there are too many of them? Instead of just putting an absolute limit on AI computations (that would result in some pawns just standing there), just reduce the need for enemies to "think" a lot or somehow cache or recycle needs/movements so that, for example, the need to take cover isn't calculated per enemy; it's instead calculated per group of enemies so that all of the enemies automatically take cover instead of individually having to determine who has to take cover when all of them are going to anyway.

a89a89

Quote from: longbyte1 on April 29, 2014, 08:34:14 PM
Quote from: Orma on April 28, 2014, 03:53:14 PM

Well for me the game doesn't lag very much when there are a lot of enemies. But of course, that doesn't mean it isn't a problem. How about just reducing the AI complexity for each enemy when there are too many of them? Instead of just putting an absolute limit on AI computations (that would result in some pawns just standing there), just reduce the need for enemies to "think" a lot or somehow cache or recycle needs/movements so that, for example, the need to take cover isn't calculated per enemy; it's instead calculated per group of enemies so that all of the enemies automatically take cover instead of individually having to determine who has to take cover when all of them are going to anyway.
YES TYNAN MUST ADD THIS!

Geeves

I believe the change log (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rCdGYp3nbSUXFG4Ky96RZW1cJGt9g_6ANZZPOHyNsg/pub) already states that the pathing is getting an update, there are tons of optimizations getting ready for shipping and general performance improvements are about to get released as well.

Sit tight the 80+raider lag should be reduced to being a 80+ raiders general annoyance.
You know it is bedtime when you open a file called GeneralEffecters.xml and the first 2 words you notice are: Butcher and Children.
==============
Learning to program is easy. Learning to put what is in your mind into programming code, now that is the hard part.

Celthric Aysen

Quote from: Geeves on April 30, 2014, 04:06:12 AM
I believe the change log (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rCdGYp3nbSUXFG4Ky96RZW1cJGt9g_6ANZZPOHyNsg/pub) already states that the pathing is getting an update, there are tons of optimizations getting ready for shipping and general performance improvements are about to get released as well.

Sit tight the 80+raider lag should be reduced to being a 80+ raiders general annoyance.
FINALLY I CAN PLAY THE GAME ON A NET-BOOK WITH BETTER FPS!
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

Geeves

Now all you need to do is release the capslock and remove it from your keyboard.
==============

Celthric Aysen

Quote from: Geeves on April 30, 2014, 04:18:19 AM
Now all you need to do is release the capslock and remove it from your keyboard.
lel :P
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

iame6162013

Finally I can play it better on a laptop (30,Why does it NEVER NEVER EVER go any bit higher?) Woot :P
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."