A18

Started by RimworldOx, June 03, 2017, 10:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nainara

Quote from: Rulin on June 04, 2017, 01:48:14 AM
Rebalancing of the caravan system and its quests to make it more rewarding than just staying at the base.
I agree with this, and I'd also like to see further enhancement to the caravan mechanics to improve caravan usability. A17 was a big improvement, but in general, there's still too much friction involved with setting up and loading a caravan:

• Hauling animals should be able to help load and unload caravans and drop pods
  • When a caravan enters the map, pack animals should proceed to the caravan spot instead of grazing at the corner of the map. They should then jettison their wares onto the ground for the haulers to pick up.
  • In the caravan assembly screen and the drop pod loading screen, there should be feedback visible in the UI about the factors that will impact the caravan travel speed. For example, the player needs to know if muffalo 44 is missing three legs, and it will slow the whole caravan down.
  • Same as above regarding caravan food consumption
  • As Rulin notes above, the reward incentive for "item cache" missions are pretty modest relative to the labor & security opportunity cost, the travel risk premium, and the food overhead. Instead of increasing the size/value of the rewards, it might be better to increase the scarcity of some types of resources from other sources
  • Adding a randomized wide variance of buy/sell prices in faction colonies could make a "trading" caravan approach viable
  • Instead applying random events uniformly across all cells of the map, some mechanism should be available to help the player manage caravan risk. One way to achieve this could be through introduction of "elevated threat zones", which could be centered around hostile encampments and other points of interest.
  • A different approach to risk management could be a "deterrence factor" based on the aggregate firepower of the caravan relative to the value of the cargo.

rodo

Fishing, boating and the likes.
Improvements to the animal raising/feeding/training.
Improvements to the skill segregation system (like having 3/4 different tasks assigned to crafting and just one to art and the likes)

Still, since they are already working on it, it's safe to assume they've already have a target decided so..

enragedcamel

Vehicles.

On the local map, we should be able to build carts that help pawns haul large amounts of resources.

On the world map, they should allow you to move faster and for longer amounts of time without rest.

More combat-oriented vehicles would be great too. I mean we can build a starship. Not sure why we shouldn't be be able to build a tank.

East

Caravan is a good idea, but it takes too much time to travel. You have to wait for the staff to arrive. Because of the caravan, the colonist is locked on a large scale and I only watch. In other words, the interaction between game and me is reduced.

A18 needs to worry about this part.

Especially if you run as a colonist with 4 or 5 minority members, it will be difficult to invade quests.

Of course this is an improvement. New things will come out.

ReZpawner

I want my stupid-ass colonists to actually STAY IN BED when I tell them to. I'm seriously considering making hats out of the fucking retards who run around, rather than stay in bed as orderd, to deal with the plague.

Kchang

Make colonists equipped with multiple weapons and make them switchable.

Thereby, it is possible to fight more tactical.

AngleWyrm

Make it so that when you place a shelf or bench down for construction, you can immediately set the storage or bills options for that object.

Fire and forget.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

ProjectXa3

A way to recruit injured drop pod arrivals without having to put them in a jail cell first.
"I set fire to my sheet of sailcloth and drape it over the skeletons."
"Okay I'm...I'm going to need you to roll for a personality check for that one."

O Negative

Quote from: ProjectXa3 on June 04, 2017, 11:50:23 PM
A way to recruit injured drop pod arrivals without having to put them in a jail cell first.
If you rescue and heal them, they have a chance to automatically join you. It's already in the game :P

kanukki

Water as a meaningful resource. Give us something to do with our new rivers.

• Pawns require both food and water daily intake
  • water required for brewing
  • Ability to dig wells, water purification (boiling etc)
  • Fishing
  • NOT a Dwarf Fortress style realtime water-flow model, as this would overwhelm performance for little benefit
  • Desalination (advanced tech)

Razzoriel

Minified cabinets for weapons. I want to store 20 miniguns in my wooden storage rack and 20 pistols in my steel storage rack, than post in the forums blaming Tynan for poor developing skills by not accounting mass in racks. Because I'd rather be complaining about that than having each square storing one weapon in my dream armory.

Limdood

In any order, most of these will take a complete alpha all on their own:

1) redo of the world map.
1a) new biomes and features on the map, for settling, hazards, or flavor.  Ie. things like destroyed cities, fallout zones, desert oases, and more to add new flavor and incentive to settle in or avoid different areas.
1b) faction territory, limited to sections and swathes of the map, able to be influenced by player actions and/or other factions.  In essence, distinct "countries" on the map with individual cities that could be abstractly represented (not Rimciv, but some indication of faction power and stuff)
1c) meaningful map water.  Ship based caravans (ocean and river).  Coastal bases that get to use the coast for defense and production (power, food, dredging)
1d) simulated fossil fuel resources....large multi-map-hex veins of resources that give strategic importance and a feeling of specialization to different base locations (settle on a chemfuel reserve, with deep drillable nearly-unlimited chemfuel, and the game could develop very interestingly)

2. a storyteller and event revamp.
2a) storytellers with distinct, more coherent series of events actually designed to tell a more structured story, with a directed, sequential, but still semi-random series of events (these storytellers would play out a game similarly each time, but not the same)
2b) additional scripted events to help expand the pool of available story events.  Existing similar events being made more distinct from one another (sappers not feeling like just a raid that hits walls, wait and attack not just being a dumber version of immediate attack, etc.)
2c) more direction in the events, period.  Less of a random smattering of dice rolls producing different situations, and more development and possibly motives and execution in raids, berserk animals happenings singly, then in groups, then continuously until X condition is met (stamp out the home, destroy the psychic engine, etc.), crop cycles that help determine what kind of year it will be...blights, cold snaps, and alphabeavers, or late fall heat waves, suddenly richer soil, more sunlight, and symbiotic bacteria (that then spontaneously mutates into a colony wide epidemic, oh no!), diseases and other illnesses that feel more organic.
2d) randy random persists as the "same as right now" complete randomization of events.

3. Fleshing out of the endgame, victory condition options, and post-endgame.
3a) more and more variety of very late game threats and obstacles, along with some reason, story, and/or player input.  Something like mechanoid raids ramping up, but with a source that can be neutralized, or large global event that it leads up to.  Or ways to interact with other factions from an equal, or perhaps even dominant footing, with its own set of prerequisites and risk/reward.
3b) Varied victory condition options, from establishing your colony as a permanent outlander town settlement (complete with certain requirements in time, population, wealth, and faction relations), or even influencing the culture, diplomatic relations, and economy of the WORLD enough that the planet no longer really qualifies as a Rimworld...morphing into maybe a militarized, industrial fortress planet, or the birthplace and new home of a solar-systemwide drug cartel.  I get that "escape" is the original goal of the game, but many different simulation games benefit from the (excuse the copying of the names) ideas of "diplomatic victory, economic victory, conquest victory, scientific victory" and the like.
3c) A way for victory (or certain victories) to allow a game to influence future games or continue.  Perhaps the world you played and won on could be played on again (like the pre-globe separate world generation and ability to play multiple games on the same world).  Not settling on and using your old base (but it could totally be an item cache or pirate base to raid!), but having some meaningful effect on a future game.  Maybe if you develop into a permanent settlement, then in the future, your old colony becomes a new faction (and if #1 was already implemented, with its own other settlements and borders).  An "economic victory" could spawn a game with loads of trade caravans all the time that morphs the game into a much more economic and social game (or the opposite if you settle on the other side of world - economic stagnation).  And so on.  Of course playing on the same world would be completely the player's option, and they could start a new game from scratch on a new world if they chose.

I'm not looking for a tiny feature here or there, I'm interested in the next core content of an entire alpha update, or even multiple alpha updates for any one of these ideas....

I'm interested in more content rather than more features, the features will continue to be fleshed out and refined as time goes on anyways.

Penguinmanereikel

Quote from: Limdood on June 05, 2017, 10:32:47 AM
In any order, most of these will take a complete alpha all on their own:

1) redo of the world map.
1a) new biomes and features on the map, for settling, hazards, or flavor.  Ie. things like destroyed cities, fallout zones, desert oases, and more to add new flavor and incentive to settle in or avoid different areas.
1b) faction territory, limited to sections and swathes of the map, able to be influenced by player actions and/or other factions.  In essence, distinct "countries" on the map with individual cities that could be abstractly represented (not Rimciv, but some indication of faction power and stuff)
1c) meaningful map water.  Ship based caravans (ocean and river).  Coastal bases that get to use the coast for defense and production (power, food, dredging)
1d) simulated fossil fuel resources....large multi-map-hex veins of resources that give strategic importance and a feeling of specialization to different base locations (settle on a chemfuel reserve, with deep drillable nearly-unlimited chemfuel, and the game could develop very interestingly)

2. a storyteller and event revamp.
2a) storytellers with distinct, more coherent series of events actually designed to tell a more structured story, with a directed, sequential, but still semi-random series of events (these storytellers would play out a game similarly each time, but not the same)
2b) additional scripted events to help expand the pool of available story events.  Existing similar events being made more distinct from one another (sappers not feeling like just a raid that hits walls, wait and attack not just being a dumber version of immediate attack, etc.)
2c) more direction in the events, period.  Less of a random smattering of dice rolls producing different situations, and more development and possibly motives and execution in raids, berserk animals happenings singly, then in groups, then continuously until X condition is met (stamp out the home, destroy the psychic engine, etc.), crop cycles that help determine what kind of year it will be...blights, cold snaps, and alphabeavers, or late fall heat waves, suddenly richer soil, more sunlight, and symbiotic bacteria (that then spontaneously mutates into a colony wide epidemic, oh no!), diseases and other illnesses that feel more organic.
2d) randy random persists as the "same as right now" complete randomization of events.

3. Fleshing out of the endgame, victory condition options, and post-endgame.
3a) more and more variety of very late game threats and obstacles, along with some reason, story, and/or player input.  Something like mechanoid raids ramping up, but with a source that can be neutralized, or large global event that it leads up to.  Or ways to interact with other factions from an equal, or perhaps even dominant footing, with its own set of prerequisites and risk/reward.
3b) Varied victory condition options, from establishing your colony as a permanent outlander town settlement (complete with certain requirements in time, population, wealth, and faction relations), or even influencing the culture, diplomatic relations, and economy of the WORLD enough that the planet no longer really qualifies as a Rimworld...morphing into maybe a militarized, industrial fortress planet, or the birthplace and new home of a solar-systemwide drug cartel.  I get that "escape" is the original goal of the game, but many different simulation games benefit from the (excuse the copying of the names) ideas of "diplomatic victory, economic victory, conquest victory, scientific victory" and the like.
3c) A way for victory (or certain victories) to allow a game to influence future games or continue.  Perhaps the world you played and won on could be played on again (like the pre-globe separate world generation and ability to play multiple games on the same world).  Not settling on and using your old base (but it could totally be an item cache or pirate base to raid!), but having some meaningful effect on a future game.  Maybe if you develop into a permanent settlement, then in the future, your old colony becomes a new faction (and if #1 was already implemented, with its own other settlements and borders).  An "economic victory" could spawn a game with loads of trade caravans all the time that morphs the game into a much more economic and social game (or the opposite if you settle on the other side of world - economic stagnation).  And so on.  Of course playing on the same world would be completely the player's option, and they could start a new game from scratch on a new world if they chose.

I'm not looking for a tiny feature here or there, I'm interested in the next core content of an entire alpha update, or even multiple alpha updates for any one of these ideas....

I'm interested in more content rather than more features, the features will continue to be fleshed out and refined as time goes on anyways.

I actually have a thread discussing the idea of destroyed cities as a mini biome: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=33158.msg337971#msg337971

b0rsuk

Vehicles sound like a safe bet. Rimworld already has chemfuel, roads and world map travel.

Storage (Stockpiles) won't see any overhaul, Tynan is happy with the way they work.

Headshotkill

Ancient city ruins mini biome.