Door sign: "Sorry, we are closed" Please visit us in our main Colony.

Started by Yoshida Keiji, June 14, 2017, 05:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoshida Keiji

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=946535050

I'm playing by building one main Colony and other secondary resource specific outposts in the surroundings. It happens that because of this, visitors and traders, end up arriving to locations where I have not one active character there and the foreigners will just remain there and leave without checking my main colony. If they were to visit all of them or at least I could "mark" which one of mine out of five or less should be the one others should set as commerce destination, the game would make more sense to me.

BetaSpectre

It would be interesting to reject travelers. But IMO they should simply be visiting by coincidence and convenience. That you never asked for them, but they wanted to see if you'd buy anyway.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

O Negative

"Hey, are you guys open? Can we come in to use your bathroom, please?"

Yoshida Keiji

I don't care about visitors, who don't trade. Im talking about those that DO trade. If they come without the (?) its fine, do whatever. But if traders willing to do commerce come in...that`s a problem near to bug level. If you want to sell something, then you need people to buy staff from you. And if you want to buy items, you need to visit a location that has items for sale.

Limdood

If you are travelling to a town on a road in Rimworld, and there are 3 other towns on that same road on the way, wouldn't you stop and peek in at those towns to check trading?  I know i would...I DO.  I travel to outposts, but if a tribe is on the way, i stop and trade a bit, maybe make some money, maybe pick up more food...maybe they have nothing i want and i move on...i still stop there.

Now obviously NPC caravans don't have to have human motivations, but there's no reason the game SHOULDN'T just send caravans to any player settlement.  They don't know if, or which settlement you prioritize over others, and it might make no sense to set up a settlement across the planet with a "visit the other base plz" sign. 

I DO understand that you don't want to see a trader event fire, just to have it be at a base where you have no goods...and if this is a caravan you CALLED in, then I'd certainly see a need to address the issue. 

BetaSpectre

I would Imagine these caravans are just walking blind, though if that was the case they should be entering pirate bases as well in lore.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

cultist

Quote from: BetaSpectre on June 18, 2017, 07:27:48 PM
I would Imagine these caravans are just walking blind, though if that was the case they should be entering pirate bases as well in lore.

I highly doubt that neutral caravans exist at all before they spawn on your map. Sure, the game could keep track of a bunch of wandering NPC's, their health, equipment, mood etc, decide whether or not they get attacked.... but why? The player will never see any of this, so it would be a waste of resources.

milon

See this suggestions thread:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=33854.0

These two problems overlap, and a solution to one would very likely fix the other.

EDIT - Keep discussing & suggesting in both threads. I'm not saying this thread is irrelevant or obsolete or anything.

Yoshida Keiji

I rear the other thread, it addresses another problem with visiting caravans. These days Im into playing with two to three colonies at the same time and it has already happened to me that a caravan was visiting one of them while I was being raided in another. Since the attack had more priority, I left the traders for later.

Raid finished and went back to check the other colony. Apparently, there was a fight between the caravan members and one of them got punched down. While I did managed to rescue the downed friendly trader, the interacting one with the (?) and everybody else was not around anymore. I presume, they all fled due to a "threat". I don't see why a problem of their own has to cancel a convoy I requested.

But then again, thats the other thread.

My own topic is about a same caravan that only visits one colony out of many while they are all separated from each other by like 1 tile in-between.

It's ridiculous how the game fails with this matter as NPC caravans would travel for a week or more to enter one of my colonies and not visit another one that is just one hour away.

I don't remember where I read it, but somewhere was written that raids expand their attack severity based on a colony's treasure or overall value, so I don't see why friendly traders wouldn't be able to use the same mechanism. While mid to later game, this doesn't present much issue, it does affect greatly at the beginning when you want to make money by selling your goods but all foreign visitors go elsewhere.