When should i start over?

Started by Quasarrgames, April 30, 2014, 05:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quasarrgames

I have a question, and i think i need guidance:

if my colony dies, should i always just start over from the beginning? it seems like a waste to me though, especially if i put a lot of time and effort into the game, only to have it all thrown out the window.

or should i use the "three strikes you're out" policy where if the colony dies three times its over?

or should i replay the colony dying and see if there was any way it could have survived, and then go from there?

or should i just reload the save whenever the colony dies and it doesnt really matter?

im not sure which one of these i should choose.
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

Architect

Do whatever makes you happy :P If you feel you've invested too much time in the colony to just let it die, spawn some more colonists in with development mode or reload a save. If you feel you've had a good run and you want to try a different approach, then restart. This game is about your choices :P
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

Sion

Almost every time I save my game I make a new save and name it something like "A_1_calm" then next "A_2_Raider_Attack" and so on, when the colony dies I pick a suitable save file and continue from there, but I name them "B_3_Survived_Huge_Attack", and so on.

I think of it as different timelines, or parallel universes, in the save files the first letter is the universe or timeline and the number is the number of saves I have done, so if the colony dies in universe A_ it lives on in universe B_ and I continue from there.

On my current colony I'm at A_40
Eventually I delete saves that isn't important, an important save would be where the game could have changed course, like when there are 15 raiders attacking your 10 wounded ppl colony.
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

CountJeffrey

The great thing about this game is that you can play it how you want! I myself am a fan of perma death and the no chance of redemption so when my colony dies it dies for good (I don't go back to an earlier save if colony dies). But that's just me, you can play it however you want. If you die you can reload and try a new strategy or you could start a new colony or just do whatever you feel like :).

iame6162013

usually when i hit day 100 i just spawn 1M raiders(no joke) and go "I Can do this"
and if i survive i restart,
when i die i start again and think"i must do better";)
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Geeves

How many colonists do you have by day 99 that you might have limited trouble with 1.000.000 raiders?

And do not leave out your base layout please :)
You know it is bedtime when you open a file called GeneralEffecters.xml and the first 2 words you notice are: Butcher and Children.
==============
Learning to program is easy. Learning to put what is in your mind into programming code, now that is the hard part.

wattybro13

i never reload saves, when i die, i start over.

iame6162013

Quote from: Geeves on May 01, 2014, 02:10:09 PM
How many colonists do you have by day 99 that you might have limited trouble with 1.000.000 raiders?

And do not leave out your base layout please :)
how many?
40-120...(modded)
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Celthric Aysen

It's your decision, but if you really want to go full "Legit" il recommend starting over again.
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

daft73

My simple answers to this question: Are you done "building" your base?
                                                     Have you been overrun? and don't want to continue?
                                                     Has watching the "sim" of your colony gone boring?
                                                     Do you want to try a new design?
                                                     Has your wife/husband, kids or friends looked at your
                                                     colony and said something unsavory?
                                                     Lost your hard-drive in a massive power flux?
These are some questions to ask yourself. ???

longbyte1

This is actually an important question because if you have a YouTube channel and you're doing a series on RimWorld and you keep dying, you don't want people to just say "oh you such a noob cos ur just loading save files to keep from dying 1-" and hate on you and give you bad publicity. What should be RimWorld colony etiquette?

OnyxShadow

I watched about 10 hours of this game on Youtube before actually playing it so I had some advantages. So far I haven't actually had a colony fail. I usually start a new game when raiding parties stop showing up.

Sion

Quote from: longbyte1 on May 02, 2014, 11:03:09 PM
This is actually an important question because if you have a YouTube channel and you're doing a series on RimWorld and you keep dying, you don't want people to just say "oh you such a noob cos ur just loading save files to keep from dying 1-" and hate on you and give you bad publicity. What should be RimWorld colony etiquette?

That is something that the YouTube publisher should ask her/he's community.
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

Col_Jessep

If you make a Youtube LP you are pretty much damned to play ironman. Then again, nobody is forcing you to upload the footage of the colony that was overrun on day 5 by 3 boomrats and a wild muffalo... ;)

Planetary Annihilation Imminent

Bodog999

What you could do is to start a colony in development mode and build some defence tactics. Then choose the one which worked best and make that one in your colony's