[1.0] Science Never Stops

Started by alaestor, June 24, 2017, 11:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alaestor

Science Never Stops

Science never stops.
Why should the research?

Only care about the infinite research? I gotcha bro!
This mod has two variants! Read more bellow.

SNS Research (Complete Variant)

• Pushing The Limits
    Unlocks the Unobtainer which is used to forge Unobtainium. The Unobtainium can then be used as a metal, or it can be forged into a fabric. Unobtainium items are extremely powerful, and do not deteriorate.

• Unobtainium Power
    Unlocks the ability to make the cold Fusion Reactor from the Power menu, along with the the highly-unstable fuel cells from the Unobtainer.

• Unobtainium weapons
    Unlocks the ability to make Advanced Unobtainium Weapons at the Machining table.
    Unobtainium weapons can be smelted down to recover the Unobtainium in them, but the other resources will be lost. (errors, annoying)

• Beyond Our Understanding
    Impossible to complete without the debug menu, because science never stops.
    Hm... I wonder what you can make at the Unobtainer if you complete it?
    (Gives nothing in the Research Only version)

(Info may not be 100% accurate as updates occur and I'm lazy)

Don't want Unobtainium?

In the download websites you can choose between the "Complete" variant of SNS which contains everything, or the "Research Only" variant which only contains the only the infinite "Beyond Our Understanding" research and nothing else.

SNS Mod Conflicts
Don't use both variants at the same time.
Upgrading from the Research Only variant to the Complete mod may cause issues but in theory it's fine.
No known conflicts.

SNS Translations
Currently there are no translations. I didn't even include an english template to work from.
If you want to write a translation: contact me and I'll include it in SNS (email address in the change log)

SNS Downloads

• Complete
    Latest Mod Version for the  is 2.3.0 made for Game Version 1.0.2059
    The change log can be found here in this Pastebin

• Research Only
    Latest Mod Version for the  is 2.3.0 made for Game Version 1.0.2059
    The change log can be found here in this Pastebin

NOTE: Both download sites contain folders that seperate the variants. Go into the folder of the one you want.

For compatibility reasons, there will also be archives of older versions available for download.
Download: Mega.nz, files.fm, or the Steam Workshop

alaestor

{Reserved}
sniped the URL...

AngleWyrm

The description seems to say that this mod makes it possible to take one or more of your pawns off active duty doing productive things and instead assign them to an endless research treadmill.

Is there some benefit to accumulating research points?
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

alaestor

Quote from: AngleWyrm on June 25, 2017, 02:43:24 AM
The description seems to say that this mod makes it possible to take one or more of your pawns off active duty doing productive things and instead assign them to an endless research treadmill.

Is there some benefit to accumulating research points?

Nope.
Your analogy to a hamster wheel is accurate.

The endless research was put at the end of the tree for that reason. It's after the ship components. If you wanted to end the game you could; but if you want to sit around and keep playing then research tables aren't completely useless. I use Misc. Robots++ and like to play with a very small colony. The automation makes it so my main colonist is often idle, so this gives him something to do.

I may lower the research cost to make things a bit more obtainable...

I'm also thinking about adding a matter-energy converting Food Replicator that just has a high energy cost but takes no ingredients.

I'm going to see what I can do about the stupidly high cost of making tables and such out of Unobtainium (because 100K silver is a bit pricey for a fancy tailoring desk...)

skullywag

Dont know what your skill level in modding is, but currently this is basically for people who want to max more than 1 person researching really. Once you have researched everything there is no reason to continue researching, my idea would be to have researching the never ending project affect other skills (very very slowly) so whenever some threshold is passed, for example 10000 points added to the project it would up a random other skill by 1 level. Or you could add 1000 points to the skill or whatever.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

alaestor

Quote from: skullywag on June 25, 2017, 03:34:59 AM
Dont know what your skill level in modding is, but currently this is basically for people who want to max more than 1 person researching really. Once you have researched everything there is no reason to continue researching, my idea would be to have researching the never ending project affect other skills (very very slowly) so whenever some threshold is passed, for example 10000 points added to the project it would up a random other skill by 1 level. Or you could add 1000 points to the skill or whatever.

Yes, repeatable research for a buff, or research points as a stat / skill offset, or just making toggled research that gives skill EXP, those are all good ideas however I absolutely refuse to write C# so that's beyond the scope of this, as there is no defined behavior for such a thing. The infinite research is nothing more than a "make work" job.

alaestor

The complete variant of SNS has been updated to mv2.0.1
This addresses the prices of and quantity of Unobtainium making it a bit easier to create furniture from it.

I'm looking for feedback on the research length
(I think 400k from Industrial is a bit much.... how about 40? xD ) (updated mv2.0.2)

jecrell

My good man. Are you hiding memes in your screenshots?

*squints at alaestor*
...Psst. Still there? If you'd like to support
me and my works, do check out my Patreon.
Someday, I could work for RimWorld full time!

https://www.patreon.com/jecrell

jts1702

If the stats posted are correct, the unobtainium rifles are only as powerful as modern ballistic rifles, with terrible damage and range, and for some reason 10 times more work value than other guns of the same unobtainium class. Fix?

AngleWyrm

It might be worthwhile to calculate how many research points are gathered in a day, perhaps an 8-hour skill-10 day.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

alaestor

Quote from: AngleWyrm on June 26, 2017, 04:51:04 PM
It might be worthwhile to calculate how many research points are gathered in a day, perhaps an 8-hour skill-10 day.
That would have been a good idea; but I've already made some changes. Haven't got around to modifying images yet... (I'll do it later today). Also, I'll lower it further if required but from what I've seen from people using Misc. Robots++ and the default ship research, this should just be on the far edge of "hard" difficulty to obtain.

Quote from: jts1702 on June 26, 2017, 11:00:27 AM
If the stats posted are correct, the unobtainium rifles are only as powerful as modern ballistic rifles, with terrible damage and range, and for some reason 10 times more work value than other guns of the same unobtainium class. Fix?
Those guns are a bit more powerful than you'd think. Their a strong upgrade from their default counterparts (the pistol, charge rifle, and sniper). Give them a try and let me know what you think. I'm always looking for feedback on balance. I'll change the work values (as they shouldn't be that high anyways). I'll also add a frag grenade (as 1+1 suggested via discord), and modify the throw range of EMP grenades.

alaestor

mv2.0.3 of the complete variant has been uploaded.
Also changed the images.

Details in the change log.

aleido58

So....
It's only me, or at the machining table you can craft the unobtainium, unobtainium fiber and fuel for free?
I have the latest version 2.0.3, not sure if I'm the only one with this "feature".  ;)

alaestor

@aleido58 I just tested on a stock + SNS game. I don't have them in the machining table.

The recipes you're seeing, are they named "Pattern Fuel Cell" etc?

aleido58

Well, I'm trying this on a VERY heavily modded savegame ( so maybe is one of those +80 mods  :P ) to test balance of weapons compatibilities and stuff...
The other thing is that I have to finish yet the research for the fuel cell and I have it there too.
Those bills only require 1 work and no materials.
I have some warning (no errors) and I've attach them with a picture where you can see the 3 bills.
If I ignore those bills I think that this works as intended.

Thanks btw!

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]