Faction visits

Started by americany13, May 07, 2014, 10:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

americany13

I think a good way to make factions more interesting is to improve to the visits. Instead of just visiting the colony they should have missions such as
Positive relations
1. A group from ____ is visiting to show off some of there skills. (Colonist get a skill boost)
2. A group from ____ is visiting to tell the good word. ( happiness boost)
3. A group from ___ is visiting to talk ( happiness bonus)
4. A group from ___ is visiting to help work. ( work for you for a day)
Neutral relations
1. A group from ___ is offering to work for money
2. A group from ___ is offering to trade
Negative relations but not hostile
1. A group from ___ is coming to intimidate you ( happiness lowered)
2. A group from ___ is coming to steal from you
hostile relations
1. A group from ___ is coming to scout you ( if they live they will bring a larger party of raiders)
2. A group from ___ is coming to destroy your stuff ( main job is to burn stuff

Geeves

I would switch stealing and scouting around. Scouting by itself is not a hostile action while stealing is.
You know it is bedtime when you open a file called GeneralEffecters.xml and the first 2 words you notice are: Butcher and Children.
==============
Learning to program is easy. Learning to put what is in your mind into programming code, now that is the hard part.

Nasikabatrachus

Personally, I would rather have visitors' purposes be a little less transparent than what this suggests/how the game currently is. I think the player shouldn't necessarily know if a raider group is scouting, if they will stage before attacking, or if they're attacking immediately.

I do agree with this suggestion, though. There's a lot of potentially interesting stuff to do with visiting factions, in a way that creates interesting choices and connects to in-world logic. Some more suggestions:

Diplomatic visits: a representative of a faction comes to visit the player's colony. They don't work, and can't be directly controlled, but require a bed and food. The challenge is to keep them happy and safe in order to gain a boost in relations with their faction.

Herders/Foragers: a group of tribals arrives on your map. Maybe they're herding muffalo, or maybe they want to collect all the specimens of a particular plant which is important to producing medicine. They're not necessarily hurting or helping you, but you could choose to attack them if you felt you could gain something important (muffalo meat at a difficult time) or if the cost of letting them do their own thing was too high (you really need that herbal medicine, man).

Standoff: if you've captured a member of a faction outside of combat, it doesn't make sense that that faction would try to kill that captured member in subsequent raids. A more complex response might be a sort of siege, in which groups of two or three enemy pawns  would surround the general area of the colony and harass any colonist who tried to move around outdoors, meanwhile demanding the release of your prisoner.

One interesting idea that was suggested a while ago is that some pirate faction might ask the colony to hold a prisoner for a certain period of time, in exchange for silver. Tynan seemed to like that, so it'll probably be its own kind of visit one day.

Miniscule Max

Apart from my absolutely deep desire to spell/grammar check your post, I agree!

Though, neutral and above should have trade options as opposed to only neutral.