In Regard to Game Graphics (and other things)

Started by CucumberedPickle, August 12, 2017, 12:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CucumberedPickle

Making it more complicated Clearing Something Up
No, the "game graphics" are fine, I'm talking about the "graphics" the game uses to show stuff, like the very derpy thrumbo graphic when it faces the front, or the chess pawn shaped lamp graphic. Basically, just the way the game displays objects to you. This getting very confusing and repetitive very fast and the heading I chose is misleading.
A Beige Circle
What is the simple meal graphic supposed to represent? I can see that the fine meal is plate on a wooden tray, and on the plate is some cooked meat and some green bean-like vegetals. In the corner of the tray there seems to be a cup for milk. That makes sense, since a fine meal is meat (or eggs/milk) and vegetables. The lavish meal is more complex, but it has the same tray, less vegetal on the main plate, the same meat and what we can only assume is mashed potatoes -- WITHOUT THE GRAVY.  >:( The same cup is there, and a side dish of bread or pizza -- WITH NO TOPPINGS. Great, now we know that the fine and lavish meals represent something: food. A fulfilling and tasty meal for our colonists to enjoy. But the simple meal graphic? Uh, it looks like a tortilla wrap, pancake or pizza dough on a metal tray. And that's as far as my imagination will go, it's literally a very vibrant beige-orange-yellow colored circle on a gray rectangle. Um, very tasty and it will make me have no hunger until lunch.  :-\ So what is it actually? Is it there because simple meals can have all meat OR all vegetables? And if so, why not just make two graphics, one with just meat and one with just vegetable used interchangeably depending on the ingredients?
Categorized Hideous-ness
Why, why, why, why just WHY are the icons for categories in the categorized mode of resource readout so... REPULSIVE?! It's really hard to explain it, but the colors, vibrant and dark; and dull gray, don't mix very well. The shapes, like the one for raw resources or metals or whatever looks like the old steel graphic. Does that mean these ugly icons were rarely updated? Who knows! All I know is that they are eye-sore-ers that are one more reason not to use categorized mode. Whatever.
Toast Shaped Crates
For some odd reason the little crates colonists use to store raw produce seemed to be shaped like a slice of bread. That or they are rectangular or square except with the weird... thing, tumor, panhandle sticking out.
Ascetics: Preferring to Eat Raw But Don't
The description for the ascetic trait says that they will prefer to eat raw food. The only time I saw that happen wasn't even in the freezer that is also the biggest room in the base. The colonist who had this trait walked into the kitchen, and the last person cooking left some meat on the stove. [insert picture of the Brain Age2 version of Dr. Kawashima saying "How sad!" when you haven't played in eons that I couldn't find on the internet] She grabbed the big chunk of meat, sat down in the "Extremely impressive dining and rec room" wow that's nice and ate it.  Never again did I see this happen, every time that colonist just got a fine meal instead.
Meat Chunks
Is there some deterministic or systematic about the two raw meat graphics: a big huge chunk of meat OR three little bits of meat? Or is it just random, elusive and mystical and only for aesthetics and diversity?

And that wraps up a whole bunch of riff-raff? about the game. Yay
The number of possible signatures there are might as well be, for practical use, infinite, yet I chose this one.

Bozobub

Non sequitur:  If you want small (or large) text, the "size" tags generally more useful than subscript tags.  The value for size on this forum ranges from 1-7, although on many it's simply the actual point size of the desired text if you use it elsewhere.  Here, size=2 is "standard".
Example:
[size=1]Teeny weeny text[/size]
becomes
Teeny weeny text, and
[size=7]Large text[/size]
becomes
Large text

This forum also has a few other text formatting tags that aren't standard for most BBCode forums: glow, shadow, and marquee.NOT a nitpick but I think your formatting here would look a bit better and be a bit easier to do =) .
Thanks, belgord!

Toast

Quote from: PicklesAreTasty on August 12, 2017, 12:37:23 PM
Is there some deterministic or systematic about the two raw meat graphics: a big huge chunk of meat OR three little bits of meat? Or is it just random, elusive and mystical and only for aesthetics and diversity?

AFAICT, the big chunks come from medium and large animals (wolf, muffalo) and the three little chunks come from small animals (chicken, rat). Which kind of makes sense.

I can't really sign on to the other complaints here. The art style of the icons and such seem deliberately super-minimalist and I'm fine with it. The beige circle tells you exactly what you need to know and nothing more: it is made from one ingredient, it is Simple. The "chess piece" is just a bare light bulb. It tells you exactly what you need to know and nothing more: there is a light here. But I grew up playing 8-bit games and I am very comfortable using my imagination to elaborate on extraordinarily simple graphical representations.  :P

On a side note, pickles are indeed tasty.

Bozobub

Quote from: Toast on August 12, 2017, 02:54:39 PMOn a side note, pickles are indeed tasty.
That depends entirely on what was pickled and how well.  Pickled beets and pickled eggs are both utterly vile.
Thanks, belgord!

CucumberedPickle

The number of possible signatures there are might as well be, for practical use, infinite, yet I chose this one.

CucumberedPickle

Quote from: Toast on August 12, 2017, 02:54:39 PM
The "chess piece" is just a bare light bulb. It tells you exactly what you need to know and nothing more: there is a light here.

On a side note, pickles are indeed tasty.
I wasn't complaining about the lamp. And if the simple meal needs to be that bare-bones simplistic, why do the other meals represent something that I can identify?

CucumberedPickle

Quote from: Bozobub on August 12, 2017, 03:50:46 PM
Quote from: Toast on August 12, 2017, 02:54:39 PMOn a side note, pickles are indeed tasty.
That depends entirely on what was pickled and how well.  Pickled beets and pickled eggs are both utterly vile.
Pickled cucumbers FTW

Bozobub

Thanks, belgord!

A Friend

QuoteClearing Something Up
Add too much detail and it starts getting ugly. Less is more.

QuoteA Beige Circle
It's a bland bowl of soup in a top down perspective. The lack of details isn't really noticeable in game and it gets the point across that compared to the others meals, it is, indeed: Simple.

QuoteCategorized Hideous-ness
I don't see the issue here, except maybe that the icons could be updated.

QuoteToast Shaped Crates

QuoteAscetics: Preferring to Eat Raw But Don't
I don't see how this relates to graphics but I've never encountered this before. I thought ascetics only care about their bedrooms.

QuoteMeat Chunks
Small animals = small meat graphics
Big animals (Cats and bigger) = big meat graphics.

Quote from: PicklesAreTasty on August 12, 2017, 05:49:45 PM
Quote from: Bozobub on August 12, 2017, 01:15:29 PM
Some nitpicking and other explaining crap I don't care about
That's pretty rude... and ironic.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Shurp

I do hate the new rubble chunk graphic.  It's hard to distinguish from the pile'o'steel graphic.  The old chunk was clearly identifiable (and looked like a chunk of some ancient building that would make an excellent piece of cover to fire from behind).
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Draconicrose

Yup, I agree with all of these nitpicks except the meat chunks and the ascetics, though mine prefer simple meals/pemmican to raw food. Especially the crate icon. I have no clue what the little protuberance is supposed to be.
I have a Rimworld Let's Play for you -> Let's Play Rimworld Playlist