Stance on Lore

Started by BeoTea, August 15, 2017, 04:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeoTea

As the title asks, I'm only wondering what Tynan's stance on world lore is. We have ancient Mechanoids, Ruins, Roads, and we're in space 3500 years in the future. There had to be some cool reason there or something.
          This was just a passing thought, but it would be cool to learn a bit of history.

carbon

Headshotkill

You have roughly 3500 years of time to imagine how we evolved from the present day to a universe similar to rimworld's lore.

Tynan

I have a lot more thoughts on the universe backstory but I don't tend to just write them down randomly. The game itself tries to be kind of minimalistic in terms of what it explains. I try to have it communicate things only as needed, and keep the background logic mostly in the background, so the world can be made sense of as needed.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Shurp

As an added bonus, if you have a cool feature to add (Infestations!) you don't have to worry about it violating the lore (hey, where did these bugs come from?)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Mr.Cross

Quote from: Shurp on August 16, 2017, 05:46:01 PM
As an added bonus, if you have a cool feature to add (Infestations!) you don't have to worry about it violating the lore (hey, where did these bugs come from?)
Clearly the rimworld you landed on has an oxygen rich atmosphere that allows the magnatherium survive, is it too hard to think that after all that time insects haven't evolved to take advantage of that?  ;)
Claims to know most things.

Oblitus

Quote from: Mr.Cross on August 16, 2017, 09:49:42 PM
Clearly the rimworld you landed on has an oxygen rich atmosphere that allows the magnatherium survive
Also explains flammable steel.

Bozobub

Steel is flammable in OUR atmosphere, actually, and doesn't need any extra O2.  Most metals burn quite enthusiastically, in fact, once ignited, if there's enough surface area (say, metal dust/filings or metal "wool").
Thanks, belgord!

Oblitus

Quote from: Bozobub on August 16, 2017, 11:56:10 PM
Steel is flammable in OUR atmosphere, actually, and doesn't need any extra O2.  Most metals burn quite enthusiastically, in fact, once ignited, if there's enough surface area (say, metal dust/filings or metal "wool").
Yeah, and polished steel slabs are especially flammable. As well as raw flesh.

Bozobub

Actually, yes, raw flesh burns fine, in the right circumstances.  Human fat burns quite hot =).  Hell, old grannies occasionally burst into flame without much provocation o.O'.

*foomp*

That's got to be hard to float by your insurance adjuster, I bet!  Especially with the common lack of much damage to surrounding flammables:  "So tell us again, how your couch was damaged?!  No, wait, let me take a stiff pull off this vodka 1st..."

I mean, who wants the couch with the big, greasy, smelly grandma-stain any more? Ew.
Thanks, belgord!

Shurp

Well, I suppose that's a question worth asking.  Just how high would the oxygen content of a Rimworld have to be for a steel slab to catch fire from a neighboring burning tree?

And yet somehow our indoor campfires don't set our wooden huts on fire...

Wait a second, what am I doing?  Complaining about physics in a game where a sun lamp throwing off 2900W of light doesn't throw off any heat? :)

If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

lighthoof

Quote from: Shurp on August 17, 2017, 07:13:15 AM
Wait a second, what am I doing?  Complaining about physics in a game where a sun lamp throwing off 2900W of light doesn't throw off any heat? :)
It's LED, alright?!  ;D

Dannyrulx

I always imagined it was a street lamp rigged up on machine steriods.

Oblitus

Quote from: lighthoof on August 17, 2017, 07:28:16 AM
Quote from: Shurp on August 17, 2017, 07:13:15 AM
It's LED, alright?!  ;D
LED lamps are emitting heat too. And even if it has 100% efficiency coefficient, the light would be transformed into heat anyway.

Razzoriel

I had to read the lore to understand how those guys are able to handle raw uranium and make weapons out of it, just to understand that all humans are actually genetically modified to have some perks, like radiation resistance.