Alpha 19?

Started by {insert_name_here}, August 16, 2017, 05:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

{insert_name_here}

OK, so the Alpha 17 update focused on roads, rivers and expansion to world generation.
I would presume that most of the content for Alpha 18 is done, so there's no point in suggesting content for the next update.

But if Alpha 19 had a theme, this is definitely what the update should focus on: a complete faction rework.

I mean, I know this has been suggested plenty of times before. Look at the first page of the suggestions thread, and you'll probably find at least three faction-related discussions. But doesn't this make it even more obvious of a thing to do? So many people want it!

Sure, you can add other things in Alpha 19 too (such as a food policy system... plz) but I think it should focus on factions.

Main things I think it would be good to add:

- More factions. Two to three outlanders, one to two tribes and a pirate faction can get quite boring. You should be able to meet factions from all technology levels, not just caveman and modern level. For example, what about medieval factions? They could be able to use more advanced weapons than tribes in battle and even start sieges using catapults. Then what about spacer-tier factions? This would be similar to the mechanoid faction, but friendly by default. They will have super-expensive high tier stuff to trade with you. If you anger them, then you'll have to face charge rifles and miniguns in raids, as well as EMP mortars during sieges.

- Countries/nations: Again, this has been suggested before and it seems like a valid and realistic idea. Why would every faction have an equal spread of settlements across the world? It makes sense that they would be clustered into "nations". The overall amount of communities would be the same, it's just that factions would have their communities close to each other. If you're in friendly territory then there's less chance of raids and higher chance of caravans from that faction. If you're in enemy territory, the opposite is true.There would also be a lot of "wilderness" that nobody has claimed. There can still be outposts outside a certain faction's borders, but the majority of communities of a certain faction should be close to each other.

- Customizable/highly varied size and number: These nations could vary in size and greatly vary in number. In one world, there may be only one pirate faction which might have taken over half the entire planet, while in another there may be many small, individual pirate factions. While in another, there are just tribes and medieval factions. This could be customizable in the world generation screen.

- Ancient civilisation: Alpha 17 world generation involves shallowly simulating an ancient civilisation by creating ancient roads and highways. What if there were actual ancient, abandoned sites to visit? Kind of like the ancient dangers, but bigger. These would be high-risk high-reward things. You could find a ruined city filled with unguarded loot, or you could find a huge insect hive that has lain dormant for generations. Or you could find yourself in a radioactive wasteland filled with mechanoid sentries that are guarding an ancient monolith. I mean, Tynan has already added ancient roads and highways. Why not step it up with full-on, ruined cities? It would add a sense of adventure to the game.

I think that the idea of factions is a great idea, it just needs a lot more work. Add other stuff in Alpha 19 too, but factions should be a large priority IMO. With Rimworld, there's a whole world to explore. There's just not enough stuff to explore right now.

{insert_name_here}

Oh, I just realised that someone already suggested the exact same stuff that I suggested here, but with 5 times better suggestions. Oh well! I just want to emphasize the fact that so many of us want a faction rework. It would be amazing if this was done soon.

Also, I have less suggestions. Just adding these four things would take a lot of time. But I think it would be worth it. It would result in a much more enjoyable and immersive experience.

NeverPire

Is it just possible for you to copy here the link to this awesome five times better topic  ;) ?
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

Jstank

Countries with boarders who expand and contract their empires through conquest.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

dogui

Here my thought regarding factions in gameplay.

- what about the opportunity to join a faction? Through a proposal or a request to enter a faction, the colony can be part of it. With duties and benefits (requests become mandatory, more interactions with allies and so on).

- I think allied cities should be positioned closer one to others, perhaps exploiting ancient routes... exactly as an empire funds new centers. I expect not to see any city in deserted/unfertile areas, but more crowded temperated+river+streets areas...

- Factions and strategic resources: To improve realism and gameplay, I see for Rimworld a gradual reform to most important resources. Factions would create new villages close to them in order to exploit quickly. Gold, silver, iron, (copper? other resources to be created and made precious for some reasons),  should become slightly harder to find, precious and should be grouped into huge and still partially exploited mines, to give new challenge and more realism to the game. Obviously a little quantum of base resources should be easily available, to substain first days of survival. Resources management should tend to Civilization, whom resources management is probably one of most interesting aspect.

- Position on the planet should be crucial, to me. Choose to fund a colony into a place like a desert and flourish should become almost impossible.
Fall close to a river and a forest, not distant to a rich, pacific alliance should multiply the opportunity to survive and flourish.

mvargus

This is supposed to be a wild world without any real organization so I'm against and kind of nation states or borders.  The more factions would be nice, but people are already modding that in.  For the game I'd like to see something more substantial.  Adding in an ability to move by water would be nice.  Use Rivers to get to the ocean and sail/exploit the waters would probably not be easy, but the additional challenge (especially if there is a faction that acts like the Vikings of old and will sail up rivers to raid.) would definitely make the game more interesting.

Right now the game thrives partly on its simplicity.  The player not only makes most of the decisions, he knows to a point how they will play out.  The game needs to keep that philosophy, in my opinion.

{insert_name_here}

Quote from: dogui on August 28, 2017, 07:44:23 AM
Here my thought regarding factions in gameplay.

- what about the opportunity to join a faction? Through a proposal or a request to enter a faction, the colony can be part of it. With duties and benefits (requests become mandatory, more interactions with allies and so on).

- I think allied cities should be positioned closer one to others, perhaps exploiting ancient routes... exactly as an empire funds new centers. I expect not to see any city in deserted/unfertile areas, but more crowded temperated+river+streets areas...

- Factions and strategic resources: To improve realism and gameplay, I see for Rimworld a gradual reform to most important resources. Factions would create new villages close to them in order to exploit quickly. Gold, silver, iron, (copper? other resources to be created and made precious for some reasons),  should become slightly harder to find, precious and should be grouped into huge and still partially exploited mines, to give new challenge and more realism to the game. Obviously a little quantum of base resources should be easily available, to substain first days of survival. Resources management should tend to Civilization, whom resources management is probably one of most interesting aspect.

- Position on the planet should be crucial, to me. Choose to fund a colony into a place like a desert and flourish should become almost impossible.
Fall close to a river and a forest, not distant to a rich, pacific alliance should multiply the opportunity to survive and flourish.

Yeah, these are all nice points! Also I too would love to see boats/some way to travel over water added to the game. Also, one-tile island maps surrounded by water would nicely compliment the feature of boats. It means that building a colony next to the ocean isn't always going to be safe from that side anymore. Sea raids/merchant boats would be less common than their land-lubber counterparts, but the raids are just as dangerous, if not more dangerous.

dogui

Me too I don't like the idea of official borders, and nor I think Rimworld should become a copy of CIV.

The point I am really interested in, is how factions born, grows, "survive" or dead.
A faction can be much more than a  label on some random colonies spread on the planet surface.
Realistically, a faction, a legacy of colonies is the result of a slow, historical process of small communities grouping together and connecting themselves.
This process follows some rules of convenience, opportunity and collaboration valuation.

Surviving needs organization and factions exist just to satisfy needs and obtain some advantages.

My dream is a game in which when the planet is generated all inhabitants (250? 500-1000? humans) are mapped, and factions (7-12 factions) are mapped too. Classified in types* which have same characteristics/traits, factions would grow very slowly and maybe have objectives to persecute (example: control totally a precious resource) and eventually be deleted by enemies.
Exiting pawns can eventually join other factions or be indipendent.

Last: to respect realism, I think if you fall very close to a pacific faction...well the easy, simpliest, smart way to grow and survive is to accept the offer to join in.
Immagine a group of survivors made up of engineers and scientist. Anyone should offer to join and contribute to the growth of the community.

NeverPire

I dislike the idea of borders too.
When I think about a faction area, I think about a territory where most of the bases own to it.
It can be some others (vassals) factions bases among them.

It will lead to a world map with more bases but these one would be grouped especially in pleasant biomes.

dogui

Quote from: NeverPire on August 16, 2017, 07:24:04 AM
Is it just possible for you to copy here the link to this awesome five times better topic  ;) ?
Here https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=32940.0
this job of Xerdun is really well done

{insert_name_here}

Quote from: NeverPire on August 29, 2017, 10:41:42 AM
I dislike the idea of borders too.
When I think about a faction area, I think about a territory where most of the bases own to it.
It can be some others (vassals) factions bases among them.

It will lead to a world map with more bases but these one would be grouped especially in pleasant biomes.

Fair enough. I don't really think actual borders are necessary either, but to me it doesn't make sense that all faction bases are roughly equally distributed around the world (with less bases in extreme biomes of course). It would make more sense if the factions were smaller, both in terms of the amount of bases and in terms of the territory they encompass. So the bases of a certain faction will all be grouped close together, with a few "outposts" scattered around the map too. Also, each faction could have a "capital" in the middle of this group of factions. Each faction only has one. A capital would basically be a regular town, but bigger, and with more goods for sale. Also, you would usually find the faction leader in a capital city. But even though I don't think actual borders are necessary, I think that each faction should be able to influence the land near them - so you get more raids near a hostile base, more caravans near a friendly base and a normal amount when not near any base.

Also, giving factions the ability to grow and shrink or even be destroyed would be awesome.

McBobbish

I definitely think that two settlements of the same faction should at least have some connection. Like being near each other, or being on the same road or trade route.

NeverPire

Quote from: McBobbish on August 30, 2017, 03:44:58 AM
I definitely think that two settlements of the same faction should at least have some connection. Like being near each other, or being on the same road or trade route.
Or linked by a watercourse if water transportation is added.

dogui

Did you read the Xerdun comment, guys? It was an excellent work.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=32940.0

LuanCosta

Being Rimworld is a game that three people with their escape capsules fall on an unknown planet, which has pirates, tribe and robot mecha {An advanced planet}.
It would be nice to be able to create robots to do some simple activity. {Transport, clean, cut, and other things}