How to win an argument with annoying people?

Started by Splinterbee, May 08, 2014, 06:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Splinterbee

Ok. The other day I was talking about a game (sir you are being hunted) and someone said it was a ripoff of gmod even tho they have completely different concepts. When I said this he said it was a ripoff cause they used the same gaming engine. (Which they do not) sir uses unity and gmod uses the half life engine. He kept saying it was a rip and got his friends who has never even played them to help with the argument. After 20 minutes I was just done with him. And another time someone argued that a German Shepard wasn't a dog at all and I'm not even gonna get into that...

Has anyone had stupid arguments like this  ::)
Video games, are pretty good

Kirid

I've never played either game, but I've watched plenty of gameplay on both, they are totally different, so that person sounds like they are trolling. No way to win an argument against a stupid person.
But I think the key is to argue an annoying point of your own.
Without plagarism, humanity would have gotten nowhere, there is not a single completely unique idea in the world, everything has some sort of inspiration.

Metroid:"The original Metroid was influenced by two other major Nintendo franchises: Mario, from which it borrowed extensive areas of platform jumping, and The Legend of Zelda, from which it borrowed non-linear exploration."

Rimworld:"In its fiction, RimWorld draws a lot from Firefly. This is where it gets its subtle Western vibe - frontier living, an arid environment, sparse law enforcement, and the constant threat of outlaws. We're also heavily inspired by science fiction novels like Dune and Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space series (which both Alistair Lindsay and I are huge fans of). The Warhammer 40,000 universe also forms part of our inspiration.
In terms of game design, the game draws most from the 800-pound gorilla of the simulation genre, Dwarf Fortress. We also take ideas from indie hits like FTL (our semi-random event format) and Prison Architect (its way of presenting a complex world in a comprehensible, interactive way). And, there are many others."

like...What a ripoff
You can't rollerskate in a muffalo herd

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Splinterbee on May 08, 2014, 06:08:10 PM
...And another time someone argued that a German Shepard wasn't a dog at all and I'm not even gonna get into that...

Well, German Shepherds are one among many, many, (as Stephen Fry says) 'lamentable terminological inexactitude, or lie.'
German Shepherds are neither Germans nor Shepherds. Just like Jerusalem artichokes. Not an artichoke, not from Jerusalem. Or Lion King's theme, contending that in the jungle, a lion sleeps tonight. Lions don't sleep at night (they're cats), nor in the jungle (they live in the savannah).

LIES! The world is full of LIES!
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

SSS

You don't argue. Works every nearly every time.

Everyone has opinions, and opinions always stink, so stop sniffing and wear deodorant. -b

Splinterbee

Quote from: SSS on May 08, 2014, 09:28:02 PM
You don't argue. Works every nearly every time.

Everyone has opinions, and opinions always stink, so stop sniffing and wear deodorant. -b
lol

Celthric Aysen

I can see this topic going bad in so many different ways.
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

bigwolf2101

u want bad I can go and make this go very bad I am just that good at being bad so u mad that I bad

ps  I just bord

Coenmcj

Quote from: bigwolf2101 on June 18, 2014, 12:15:26 AM
u want bad I can go and make this go very bad I am just that good at being bad so u mad that I bad

ps  I just bord
what.

On topic,
As they say, "the only winning move is not to play at all"
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

haint

To be honest, as many have said, the only way to win is to not argue.
There is no reason such an argument should last 20 minutes, unless someone is trolling.
You could take that route of course, and become even more annoying than they are.
Here, use these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies
"Whoa"

Splinterbee

Quote from: haint on June 20, 2014, 07:31:04 PM
There is no reason such an argument should last 20 minutes, unless someone is trolling.
You could take that route of course, and become even more annoying than they are.
Here, use these:
ya. I feel like it gives them the satisfaction of winning the argument when you know they are wrong tho  :-\

Pulaskimask

This is equivalent to asking how to Runescape, you don't, you just waist a lot of time.

BetaSpectre

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

forsaken1111

Quote from: Splinterbee on June 21, 2014, 12:02:46 PM
Here, use these:
ya. I feel like it gives them the satisfaction of winning the argument when you know they are wrong tho  :-\
Yes but you know that you're actually correct and that they're just ignorant. Smile and be happy about that. There are some people who will never be convinced that they are wrong, even if presented with ironclad evidence.

Splinterbee

Quote from: forsaken1111 on July 09, 2014, 03:58:59 PM
Quote from: Splinterbee on June 21, 2014, 12:02:46 PM
Here, use these:
Yes but you know that you're actually correct and that they're just ignorant. Smile and be happy about that. There are some people who will never be convinced that they are wrong, even if presented with ironclad evidence.
your right  :)

sirdave79

Isaac asimov wrote an essay on security beliefs. I read it in his "magic" short story compilation.

Essentially a security belief is a belief that someone stands to gain something from if things work out a certain way, and a belief that doesnt harm their outcomes if the belief is incorrect. he uses the example of religion and believing in god. If one believes in god then one may be reborn or benefit from "heaven" or some such. If god doesnt exist no one loses anything from believing in him. If god does exist and you dont believe in him you might not go to heaven (all depends on vengeful he is i guess) and if he does exist and you believe in him youll go to heaven.

That is a security belief. Some people refuse to accept what is more likely given overwhelming evidence because that is what they choose to believe. You cant make anyone change their beliefs, you can only hope the person your talking to has the good sense to be open minded to what your saying. When you discover the person you talking to is not open minded your wasting oxygen.

As others have said, frustrating as it is when you are almost certain you are right, dont waste time on the wrong people.