Exactly 64 bits.

Started by kobar, August 23, 2017, 12:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kobar

So, Rimworld is running on 32x executable. This is bad. This means that the game is limited to use around 4gb of memory. By allowing it to use more the game can give more memory to AI calculations, significantly improving performance of the game. I'm not a qualified programmer, but I can assume that this would make realtime mod loading easier, meaning less lags when using a huge amount of modifications.

I was just wondering... why? There was a point in Rimworld history when Tynan just stopped updating to new unity versions. I mean, when there is a new version of the game engine - why not update a product? Yes, it would take effort and time but it worth it. Now unity 2017 is almost out, but game is running on unity 3.5 or something around this version, and of course, NOW it would take a LOT of effort to update all this code to the latest.

I highly hope that Tynan would take care of updating project in alpha 18 rather than injecting new features. I made this post just to know how many people share the same point of view as I am.

Thanks for your attention.

Oblitus

Quote from: kobar on August 23, 2017, 12:59:42 PM
So, Rimworld is running on 32x executable. This is bad. This means that the game is limited to use around 4gb of memory. By allowing it to use more the game can give more memory to AI calculations, significantly improving performance of the game. I'm not a qualified programmer, but I can assume that this would make realtime mod loading easier, meaning less lags when using a huge amount of modifications.
Nope. 64 bit is not any faster in most scenarios, it just allows to use more memory.

skullywag

Yup, more memory wont make a blind bit of difference for most people, optimisation of the code would see the most benefit and you dont do that until you are more feature complete. CPU speed rules in rimworld terms. Also the game is running on Unity 5, using .NET version 3.5. ;)
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Calahan

I'm pretty sure the Unity version got update for A17 (as there was an annoying bug in A16 where the resolution kept resetting, which was fixed for A17 by updating Unity).

skullywag

See my sig, unity 5 broke stylus support for my surface. Its deffo on 5.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?