How to play WAY old RimWorld Versions (A12 and lower)

Started by linkfanpc, September 09, 2017, 09:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

linkfanpc

I got into the game during the A13 period. After A14 was released and RimWorld got onto Steam, i got my Steam key and have since then played it via Steam. Recently, i decided to re-download A13 for nostalgia.

That got me wondering, are there any ways for me to play older RimWorld versions, A12 and older? I have the prototype pack and all that stuff is super interesting, i want moar! Thanks!
I was gonna put a smart-guy quote here but i couldn't think of one so here's a stick dude.
\o
|\
/ \

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: linkfanpc on September 09, 2017, 09:44:04 PM
I got into the game during the A13 period. After A14 was released and RimWorld got onto Steam, i got my Steam key and have since then played it via Steam. Recently, i decided to re-download A13 for nostalgia.

That got me wondering, are there any ways for me to play older RimWorld versions, A12 and older? I have the prototype pack and all that stuff is super interesting, i want moar! Thanks!

Only if you self archived, which being that you didn't start until A13 means that is the oldest one you will legally have.

On Steam everyone can play back as far as A14 currently through the beta options.

linkfanpc

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on September 10, 2017, 12:19:41 AM
Quote from: linkfanpc on September 09, 2017, 09:44:04 PM

Only if you self archived, which being that you didn't start until A13 means that is the oldest one you will legally have.

Ah, crap.

QuoteOn Steam everyone can play back as far as A14 currently through the beta options.

Yeah, i've already backed up those versions.

Thanks for the help!
I was gonna put a smart-guy quote here but i couldn't think of one so here's a stick dude.
\o
|\
/ \

Ironvos

It's unfortunate that it's impossible to still download the old versions.
I usually only play Alpha 7/8/9 even nowadays because i just like it so much more than the current versions.
So i'm very glad i kept those files, but i would very much like to have every alpha.
Would be great if the sendowl links also included previous versions, i doubt it's ever gonna happen though.

If you ever want to check out the old alphas, i still play them regularly on twitch, currently a modded A8 version.

linkfanpc

Quote from: Ironvos on September 10, 2017, 11:06:18 AM
I usually only play Alpha 7/8/9 even nowadays because i just like it so much more than the current versions.
So i'm very glad i kept those files, but i would very much like to have every alpha.
Would be great if the sendowl links also included previous versions, i doubt it's ever gonna happen though.

If you ever want to check out the old alphas, i still play them regularly on twitch, currently a modded A8 version.

Really? Out of curiosity, why do you like them so much more? I personally much prefer the latest version, but A8 was the version i saw when i first discovered RimWorld, and i'd love to be able to play it.

Thanks anyway!
\o
|\
/ \

Ironvos

Quote from: linkfanpc on September 10, 2017, 02:45:14 PM
Quote from: Ironvos on September 10, 2017, 11:06:18 AM

Really? Out of curiosity, why do you like them so much more? I personally much prefer the latest version, but A8 was the version i saw when i first discovered RimWorld, and i'd love to be able to play it.

Thanks anyway!

In the old alphas i have more direct control over what happens. Alpha 10+ started adding more and more rng elements and mood stacking for joy, the social system, drugs addictions, animal bonds, relations, on top of all the other things like worn out apperal, dead mans items, food buffs, beauty, events, etc.
It's just too much and for me it sucks the enjoyment out of the game as i'm so dependent on what the storyteller decides should happen. If my colony has to go down, i want it to be mostly my own fault, not the game screwing me over.

Simply put, i want to build a colony with pawns in it, not manage pawns that happen to be in a colony. So emphasis on building, not on sims management.

b0rsuk

1. Don't use Steam.
2. Save your downloaded Rimworld archives.

Bozobub

Not even remotely helpful, if all you ever had was the Steam version.
Thanks, belgord!