[Closed] Call for volunteer creative rewards moderators

Started by Tynan, October 24, 2013, 12:52:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

The call is closed, thank you to those who responded!

Are you a clear, concise writer? Are you interested in the RimWorld fiction? Are you willing to help moderate creative rewards?

If you answered yes to all three questions, please post in this thread! Also, please accompany your post with at least a page of fiction writing you've done. It can be any fiction - I just want to see how you assemble sentences. If you don't want to post it here go ahead and email me at [email protected]

It would also be good if you answered:
1. What is your writing experience?
2. Why do you want to help out?
3. How much are you available to help out?

Thank you in advance to all who respond!

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Fernadon

I apologize if this is a bit off-topic :-[

If you are searching for creative writers, this could be just the right point for starting to translate?!
Asking some of my friends, it could be very helpful to release RimWorld also in other languages.
I can offer you to help out with the german translation.

1. jobwise I translate english terms and texts to depict difficult coherences and processes for the german authorities. In my free time I'm a hobby writer. I wrote a lot of roleplay-adventures for local RP-forums and groups.
2. I want to help out because I love your game concept. And I want you keeping the good work. I believe that when your stay on expanding and refining your game with your current commitment - your game will be really awsome. And of course I also want to enjoy your game in my native language. 
3. I can spend a couple of hours every week for translating.

Tynan

Translation is a separate issue. And in any case, I'm likely to just leave that to the community. I'll make a localization file of all the text in the game and people can translate it to any language they wish.

Kelfka

I would like to help if you'll have me.

Are you a clear, concise writer?
I try as much as possible.

Are you interested in the RimWorld fiction?
After reading the longsleep briefing, absolutely.

Are you willing to help moderate creative rewards?
Yes, I would like help as much as possible.

Professionally...None what so ever. I write small things from time to time but nothing serious.
This link to Forsaken Fortress's forum is a good example of what I write for fun.
See the 5 posts from "kelfka" same user name I'm using here.
http://forsakenfortress.boards.net/thread/14/characters-story?page=2

I believe in this project and I would like to contribute in whatever way that I can.

Evenings and weekends. I live close to Ottawa if you need on site help.

AspenShadow

I'd like to point out that my grammar, spelling and punctuation on internet forums is far removed from how I actually write lol, so please don't hold previous sloppiness against me.

Are you a clear, concise writer?
I believe so, yes.

Are you interested in the RimWorld fiction?
VERY much so. The brief taste of it I've gleaned so far has been intriguing, if broad and overly generic in scope; though I recognise this is largely to allow room for further enhancement and addition to the Canon.

Are you willing to help moderate creative rewards?
Of course. Whenever and wherever I'm needed.

No professional writing -that is, being paid to write- and in terms of casual writing: more than most as it's a major hobby of mine. I've always been a fan of picking apart literature to analyse in great depth and can, more often than not, spot the common mistakes.

I'm rather impressed with the project so far, but a glance at the Kickstarter figures for the people due creative rewards would be pretty frightening for Tynan to accomplish on his own. Not to mention it'll be a fascinating side-project to see what everyone comes up with.

Pretty much anytime, but as that's likely not very helpful to you... I'd say mostly GMT >4:00pm every day of the week.

I'm not certain if this would be appropriate demonstration of the skills you're looking for, but it's one of the few earlier pieces of creative writing that I don't mind sharing...

She was sitting on my left. Her white blouse pulled across the small of her back, almost becoming see-through showing the caramel-coloured skin underneath. Her strands of golden hair melting over her shoulders, shining in the midsummer sunlight pouring through the nearby window.

The tip of her rounded ear peeks out at me from above the shining gold like a timid mouse checking for carnivorous cats. Her lithe arms quivered and she pressed pen to paper as her hand danced a thousand words. Her shoulders hunched forward leaving a delicate dip in her back between her shoulder blades, she swayed from side to side ever so slightly as her iPod speaker pulsed in her ear like the beating of a tiny mechanical heart spreading music in her soul.

Her eyelashes flickered back and forth as her deep brown eyes swept across the thin sheet of lined paper filled with tiny inken scratches and with each flick of her swift wrist, her soft pink lips would trace her thoughts as she whispered silently under her breath what she was scrawling on the page.

She sighs heavily and wipes the beads of sweat off her forehead, dying in the heat of the day and shivering as a cool breeze swept through the room from the small stainless steel vent at the front of the room igniting her skin and no doubt sending frissons along her sloping spine as those familiar goosebumps washed over her skin.

She pulled back to survey her work, the bangs that usually framed her face had fallen from their delicate emplacement behind her ears in the fray and she sat there studying her riddle with such intent that she failed to notice their placement as they curiously both marred and enhanced her angelic visage with their rebellion, before her eyes sparked with new life and tucking the errant strands safely behind her ear she ravaged the page once more.

Her pearly front teeth dig sharply into the soft flesh of her lower lip as she mulls over her decision to set down her smoking pen and examines the page with a brief smile tugging on the corners of her lips, she had finished.

Darthaidan

I am more of a reader that a writer, which I think you may need to moderate. I am not the best writer but I am willing to help moderate and read what others have written and review if their work is in the RimWorld fiction.

Muxsey

Writing wise, I've only ever ran gaming teams, competitions etc online in the public domain online. I do however have to write up big project documentation, plans, system-wide changes and more in my current role at work. This involves quite a lot of my time so although I've not done anything community-wise, I feel I'd really step up to the plate and enjoy the role here.

The two main reasons that spring to mind for me personally;

1. The Game
2. The Community

These two core factors are what got me interested in the first place, and are exactly why I backed the project. It was so refreshing to see a really original game being made and even more so to see that the community come across really close-knit and willing to help each-other out.

I also spend a lot of my time at home online, and have been running teams, events, leagues etc for the last 12 years. I have a major interest in anything Sci-Fi movie wise or game wise, especially with games that let you be extra creative and "make your own path".

Availability wise I am practically online every single day after work, especially during the week. Every other weekend I'm usually online all day/evening. I'm based in the UK time zone as I live in Jersey, CI so this may also prove helpful if you've not got many people in this jurisdiction.

A bit extra about me;

My names Jonathan, I'm 26 years old and started using PC's after earning my first one peeling potatoes at the age of 14. Ever since then, I knew that I'd like to play some sort of role in the I.T field, whether it be actually running some sort of community (or helping in one), gaming teams, services etc. I now run my own successful I.T company locally, as well as work for a 3rd level Web-Platform support team as my "normal" career.

Feel free to ask me any more questions, I'm always on IRC (thanks for your quick chat earlier, Tynan) and this will be a very exciting thing to be part of for me and a great opportunity to get a bit more involved in something instead of simply enjoying the content!

Tynan

Thank you all for the applications so far! Anyone else - please apply!

Tony

I have sent a piece of writing to you via email.

Quote1. What is your writing experience?
Largely personal, between roleplaying several years back; story drafts; a diary and a Weblog. My professional writing includes, voluntarily over a period of nine years, tier-one customer support; peer-to-peer support and support guides.

Quote2. Why do you want to help out?
For the fame and fortune. And I like to feel useful. Making a contribution to a project makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Quote3. How much are you available to help out?
As much as is required of me. Through a mixture of both losing and leaving, I no longer have employment. My days are free for the majority of hours.
Tony Gibson

Kaminczak

I'd emailed and am offering my skills/time if desired.

What is your writing experience?
I have spent most of my career in teaching writing and in editing. While working on my MA in English (focus on composition and rhetoric) at Sam Houston State University I worked as managing intern editor for Texas Review Press and as a peer consultant (writing tutor) for the SHSU Writing Center. On graduating in 2004, I taught freshman composition (1&2) and elective literature courses and was offered the position of assistant director of the writing center. In 2007, I accepted a position as assistant director of the Texas A&M University Writing Center. I left this position last year, as my family moved to Houston to be closer to Texas Children's for a family medical issue. I commuted a while, but ultimately resigned my position to concentrate on family. I'm currently substitute teaching for my local school district while seeking full-time employment in the Houston area. I've acted as consultant to high schools and universities developing writing centers, and have presented at multiple academic conferences on aspects of writing and the teaching of writing.

Why do you want to help out?
Frankly, I enjoy working with text. I see a lot of potential with Rimworld and would love to know that I contributed in some way to its ultimate success. Working as a peer consultant--and later training peer educators, I believe that I would bring a unique set of skills to the text and documentation of the project.

How much are you available to help out?
Time is the one asset that I currently find myself with abundance of. Son's in remission, and besides subbing and the job search, I've no pressing commitments. I've never been much of a sleeper, so my day-to-night stretch most assuredly exceeds the norm. 

benjaminisar

Hey Tynan. Sorry for the late reply. I (Benjamin Isar Jorgensen from Kickstarter) would still very much like to volunteer as a creative reward moderator. I'll e-mail you a page from one of my most recent CoC scenarios.

I've been writing RPG scenarios for +10 years, and have also dabbled with game modding in the late 90's - which was basicly adding extra storylines to the games I liked and had access to. A few of my scenarios has ended up in Danish RPG awards, and one of them fetched a prize for Scenario of the Year at the largest Danish convention.
Most of my writing have been in Danish or Norwegian, but I have recently taken up writing in English (to reach a broader audience). While English is not my native language, I like to think of myself as fluent, as I've spoken the language since I was 8 and own far more English books than in any other languages combined.
I feel I should also mention my reading experience - I've been a science fiction fan for as long as I can remember, and I always form strong opinions on whether storylines, technologies and plot elements are realistic and within the bounds of the fictional universe.

For the fun of it. Since my long gone modding days, I've always wanted to make my own game from the bottom. That dream is long gone as I went into biology and literature rather than programming. But helping out with RimWorld would bring me a lot of satisfaction, and I am sure I can become a valuable resource when it comes to fitting all the user-submitted content into a larger, more cohesive universe.

Evenings during weekdays and most hours in the weekends - when I'm not dangerously close to an exam, of course.

Proof of literacy should be in your inbox :)

Best regards
Benjamin

man5000000

Hello Tynan! I've been a writer on several (currently closed) blogs for a few years now, and I think being a moderator for this forum will be a great option.

I've been one to moderate small communities, and donate all my free time to helping them out. I want to support this budding community,  and work hard to make this the best it can. I can offer all my time other than when I'm in classes. Please think about accepting me as moderator, and thanks for your time!
The key to success is hidden in everyday lifestyle.

Tynan

Quote from: man5000000 on October 29, 2013, 04:06:59 PM
Hello Tynan! I've been a writer on several (currently closed) blogs for a few years now, and I think being a moderator for this forum will be a great option.

I've been one to moderate small communities, and donate all my free time to helping them out. I want to support this budding community,  and work hard to make this the best it can. I can offer all my time other than when I'm in classes. Please think about accepting me as moderator, and thanks for your time!

Oh, this is for applying to moderate creative rewards, not the forums! And can you send a writing sample?

man5000000

Quote from: Tynan on October 29, 2013, 04:12:02 PM
Quote from: man5000000 on October 29, 2013, 04:06:59 PM

Oh, this is for applying to moderate creative rewards, not the forums! And can you send a writing sample?

Of course, any particular subject matter?
The key to success is hidden in everyday lifestyle.

Tynan

Quote from: man5000000 on October 29, 2013, 04:42:16 PM
Of course, any particular subject matter?

Any fiction is fine. Sci fi in a simple tone and style (not flowery verbage) is ideal.