Share your trick

Started by khun_poo, September 22, 2017, 07:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maculator

IF(!) you don't plan on "releasing the hounds", and you melees stay away, giving a bad shooter a LMG is a good idea too.

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

khun_poo

If you click on this icon at the bottom right of the UI screen. The game will not create home area around your new building and growing area anymore.

This will help you a lot when you need to build something like sandbag, guard tower or IED explosive outside of your base. Since home area trend to bring your colonist to come and clean, extinguish fire in said area which often lead them to dead.

maculator

Set the radius of your stoves to the smallest possible and place 1x1 stockpiles for veggies and meat next to the stove. So you cook wont stand up, get 10 meat out of the fridge, cook it and repeat it all the time. Now he will fill up the meat stockpile, cook it and then fill the whole stack up IF nobody allready did it in the meantime.
PS: Priority of 1x1 stockpiles must be higher than the priority of the fridge.

giannikampa

As soon as you spawn in a combat map (you got attacked or you attaked an outpost) claim all you can as yours (red flag button?).
This way some of the enemies will run to attack those useless walls all around.
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

maculator

^Thats a good one.

Wall in your base on hard difficulties. (I don't mean traps and turret spam).
A simple wall arround your base keeps off manhunter packs. I usually don't build doors and rather leave a gap inside the wall (for the raider ai).
A stockpile with 75 wood right next ot the gap ensures you can insert a door/wall the second those 10 elephants spawn.

SpaceDorf

I repost a quote here :

Quote from: Debbonair on September 26, 2017, 07:00:40 AM
You actually can make a temporary map permanent by enabling multiple colonies in the option menu and then choosing the 'settle' button on the map hex before the caravan reforms. I was pretty heavily injured after taking down a item stash that was guarded by 3 pirates, 5 turrets, and an incendiary mortar so I didn't want to have to go back on caravan plus I didn't have enough capacity on my pack animals to take all I wanted and there was quite a bit of precious metal veins on the map so I tried the settle button to see if it would keep the same map and it did. I was planning on staying there a month or so and making several trips with stuff back to my main base then abandoning when I was done, but I ended up just keeping it as a secondary outpost with 2-4 people manning it permanently since it constantly got better animals than my main base map and was easy to support them on... Not to mention WAY better defended since I hadn't researched turrets, batteries, or solar power myself yet. lol

PatrykSzczescie

If you have a caravan and a thrumbo, you can hunt for thrumbo and run through the caravan so they'll will fight the thrumbo and you'll get loot. Muffalos carry more loot, so it's better to collide them with the thrumbo as it'll eventually attack them.

Quote from: Lady Wolf on September 24, 2017, 06:05:22 AM
Edit 2:

If you're having trouble recruiting one of your prisoners and are tired of waiting, sell them into slavery, exit the trade screen then re-enter and buy them back (wait for them to exit your prison first however if selling to a caravan) You'll still lose a bit of profit in the exchange but gain the new colonist instantly, which can be a fair bit cheaper than meal costs over the weeks it takes to recruit the stubborn prisoner. (Let alone the chance of further injury death during escape attempts.)

I've seen somewhere told that you can't buy prisoners you have sold in order to stop abusing the recruitment glitch.

giannikampa

Do you have any secondary bases that you leave unabitated for some reason?
So remember to uninstall all the furniture before you go away: raiders will ignore them. I suggest to order the caravan formation first, then order deconstructing all you can, then manually order a constructor to go deconstruct before caravan leaves (decostructed will not be taken to any stockpile, save tables and stools for last), then set those furniture to be installed again: next constructor that will enter the map will install them first.

Deconstructing doors may prevent enemies from violently trying to go inside a room
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

Limdood

1) A single vitals monitor or multianalyzer will affect as many beds/research benches as you can build touching....including diagonally.

This means you can fit 8 beds touching a vitals monitor (for 12 people if the corner beds are doubles) and 8 hi tech research benches touching a single multianalyzer.  Not that you'd need or want that many, but placing 2-3 benches or 2-4 beds per vital/multi is a nice resource/energy saver.

2) put joy activities in your dining room to increase the impressiveness of both and double-dip on the "impressive dining room" and "impressive rec room" buffs.

3) make major hallways that you expect to possibly fight in (whether sappers or bugs) 2-3 tiles wide...it expedites travel and allows easier shooting down the hallways.

4) if you group your bedrooms, place an exterior door on each bedroom (to prevent disturbed sleep) AND place a door to another bedroom or room, but forbid it.  The forbidden door will keep people from pathing thru the bedroom and causing disturbed sleep, but you can unforbid it in a pinch during an attack (infestation, drop pods) that might other wise strand, or even pin and kill your pawn in his room.

khun_poo

You can burn unwanted corpse to save space from digging grave. First, create a small but high priority area of corpse you want to dispose and wait for your colonist to haul. Burn them with molotov or incendiary launcher.

If you can't find incendiary launcher or molotov, down some boomrat or boomalope in your map. Create a animal sleeping spot on top of corpse pile and rescue the boomrat/boomalope. Restrict area your colonist to those spot to prevent him/her to use another animal sleeping spot. Then remove home area and kill that boomrat/boomalope to let it burn.

Modo44

Make a dedicated corpse zone away from your pawns' paths. It's free food for your tamed carnivores, without the mood debuff of butchering people. Add a roof and a cooler to prevent food poisoning from rotting bodies. (Your colonists only care about other colonists being buried properly.)

SpaceDorf

Quote from: khun_poo on October 02, 2017, 02:05:08 AM
If you can't find incendiary launcher or molotov, down some boomrat or boomalope in your map.

You could also use a Mortar or IED. a Mortar Shell left outside works also.

Quote from: Limdood on September 29, 2017, 09:10:30 AM
3) make major hallways that you expect to possibly fight in (whether sappers or bugs) 2-3 tiles wide...it expedites travel and allows easier shooting down the hallways.

The Magic Number is 3 tiles or 5 for me ..  this way you can distribute doors and defenses in the most effective.
Two tiles wide corridors still have a too high possibility for friendly fire and getting stuck in choke points, especially with a stacked defense executing a orderly retreat.

khun_poo

Whenever you reach some point in late game. The raid event frequency will be reduce a lot (At least for me. I'm playing Cassandra extreme and she send raid to me once a season or longer than that)

With this method, you can create raid event by yourself.

Step 1. Call for friendly caravan. Choose the stuff you like to have.
            Resource and food = Bulk goods trader
            Weapon and Med = Combat supplier
            Body part, rare mineral and artifact = Exotic good trader or shaman
            body part, prisoner and drug = Slaver or pirate merchant

* I recommend that always call for bulk good trader or exotic/shaman trader since they'll carry useful stuff to your colony.

Step 2. Wait 2-3 day until they arrive.
Step 3. Whenever those friendly caravan stop moving and start to wandering around. Rob them all. Try to kill all the pack animal as fast as possible before it retreat. Their valuable goods is in those pack animal. Try not to kill those pawn but never let anyone escape though. You'll need them alive as prisoner.

Step 4. Capture all the prisoner. Heal them up. Harvest their body part if you want but never let them die.
Step 5. Release them. Once they exit your map safety, your relationship will increase by 15.
Step 6. Try to improve their relationship by sending silver to them via comm console. If your relationship with those faction above 0, you'll get good will and you can return to step 1 again.

* You can also skip step 6 by waiting those faction to raid you instead. You can capture them this way and do as Step 4-5 until you got a good will. However, this method take more time.

patoka

Quote from: khun_poo on September 24, 2017, 05:14:00 AM
To avoid drug binge event without violent. You can make a false caravan with any colonist. Bring all the drug with him and let him stay out of the map until the drug binge colonist calm down.

it is actually much easier to always have all your drugs in a room (next to your freezer for example so that the various drugs like beer and ambrosia dont go bad by building a vent in a wall) and whenever you dont need the drugs or dont need to access the room (for example when you finished producing drugs for a while and start to build up raw materials again for the next few quadrums or years) you just build a single wall in front of all doors leading to the room (which in my case is always 1.) this will make the room inaccessible for all pawns and therefore no item inside of it will ever be used nor will there ever be a pawn trying to use them. furthermore, you can put that little red cross over all your drugs, but i dont really know how much that helps. with this technique i never have issues with druggies. only time people or even animals steal some ambrosia is when i have too many ambrosia plants and even when i try to harvest them and bring them in asap, they still lay around for half a day.
surely you dont need to rebutcher corpses that you already half butchered if you leave the table to smoke a joint real quick?