Visitor Interaction Options // Visitor Actions

Started by LouisTBR, September 23, 2017, 02:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisTBR

First and foremost, thanks to Orion's excellent Hospitality mod, visitors have played a much larger role in my recent colonies than in the regular vanilla game. However, there are some things that could improve the mod (and ideally the base game) a lot:

Visitor interaction. Rather than just having them mill around, it would be nice to have deeper interactions with visitors, with the aim that eventually the blue "Visitors" envelope is an interesting, dynamic event. Perhaps, in the base game, the option of pleasing and providing a hospitable stay for visitors in order to carry favour with their faction would be good. Rather than having a comms console to do it, a colonist could request a trade caravan from one of the visitors rather than calling their faction on the console.

But most importantly, and an often overlooked suggestion, the ability to tell visitors (politely) to go away. Sometimes they outstay their welcome. Sometimes they barge in on your rooms, leaving dirt everywhere and disturbing your colonists' sleep. Sometimes they and their greedy animals eat your fridge. Sometimes, you send your minigunner to eliminate them. All of this can be avoided by having a warden ask them to leave. It would be helpful!
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

maculator

Interesting thoughts.
I would like to have a "visitor zone". If you click a shelf you could (like you can with beds) toggle it to turn the room it is in into a visitor room. Visitors would only take the meals you put in this shelf and if they ate them all they know its time to leave... simple, polite, "vanillish".
Maybe some faction +points depending on meal quality/quantity and room quality (clean, chairs, table, joy, beautiful, spacious, etc.)

Dargaron

Quote from: Louisthebadassrimworlder on September 23, 2017, 02:52:32 PM

But most importantly, and an often overlooked suggestion, the ability to tell visitors (politely) to go away. Sometimes they outstay their welcome. Sometimes they barge in on your rooms, leaving dirt everywhere and disturbing your colonists' sleep. Sometimes they and their greedy animals eat your fridge. Sometimes, you send your minigunner to eliminate them. All of this can be avoided by having a warden ask them to leave. It would be helpful!

I can't emphasize this enough: not only for visitors, but for caravans and "friendlies" as well. If the Outlander/Tribal factions are going to blame us for anything that happens on our map, (because "Anything that happen on your map, belong to you,"), then they should GTFO when we tell them to. I can't count the number of times a caravan has shown up a few seconds after 40 manhunting squirrels came onto the map, and suffered heavy casualties as they (slowly, because they apparently decided to bring 80-year-old, Frail, Bad Back Grandma along for the trip) move towards my trading spot.

LouisTBR

Quote from: Dargaron on September 24, 2017, 10:15:05 AM
Quote from: Louisthebadassrimworlder on September 23, 2017, 02:52:32 PM

I can't emphasize this enough: not only for visitors, but for caravans and "friendlies" as well. If the Outlander/Tribal factions are going to blame us for anything that happens on our map, (because "Anything that happen on your map, belong to you,"), then they should GTFO when we tell them to. I can't count the number of times a caravan has shown up a few seconds after 40 manhunting squirrels came onto the map, and suffered heavy casualties as they (slowly, because they apparently decided to bring 80-year-old, Frail, Bad Back Grandma along for the trip) move towards my trading spot.
+1
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Penguinmanereikel

I think Tynan's implementing a visitor spot in the next update.

maculator

Quote from: Penguinmanereikel on September 24, 2017, 04:04:05 PM
I think Tynan's implementing a visitor spot in the next update.

I don'T think so. It would be an invitation to exploit the S out of it.