[B18] POKÉRIM: POKÉ BALL 2.0

Started by WalkingProblem, October 08, 2017, 03:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WalkingProblem

Have you dreamed of being a Pokémon Trainer, to go around catching Pokémons and wild creatures!?

NOW YOU CAN!

Proudly presenting: The Poké Ball Mod!!!

The Poké Ball mod is the first mod from the PokéRim mod series, an ambitious long term project that we had announced on 4th April 2017 (http://walkingproblem.com/2017/04/04/announcement-of-tentative-plans-for-pokerim-pokemon-mod-for-rimworld/).

This mod introduces the Pokeballs, which are a form of one-use grenades, which can be used to tame wild animals to become part of your colony. Each of them can be crafted with the appropriate researched required done.

Gone are the days, where you wonder how on earth rimworld, are you going to finally get a pet panther.

Now its possible!

Grizzly Bear? Sure!

Cobras? Why not!?

Thrumbo? Are you good enough to catch it? =P

FEATURES:
– 5 Types of Pokeballs: Apricorn, Poké Ball, Great Ball, Ultra Ball, Master Ball
– 5 Research for each of the Pokeballs
– Pokeballs are craftable using vanilla structures (crafting spot for apricorn, machining table for the rest)
– Intricate mathematical combat calculations to determine success or failure
– Pokeball capture attempt's stats and calculation viewable from error log
– Colonist that successfully tame a wild animal will gain animal skills experience
– Amount of skills gained from taming is according to the combat power of the animal
– Colonist's animal tamed stats will be updated with each successful tame using a pokeball
– Tales will tell of how your colonists tamed the animals
– You can bash up the animal to make it easier to tame!

POKÉ BALLS:

Apricorn Primative Poké Ball

A primative form of poké ball, made from using wild berry and some simple materials, for use to capture and tame wild animals.
WorkToMake: 1000
Cost: 1 x RawBerries, 5 x Steel
ProducedAt: Crafting Spot
ResearchRequirement: Apricorns

MarketValue: 120

PokeBallLevel: 50 (+0.5 in the calculation)
ExplosionRadius: none
Range: 7.9
warmupTime: 1.5
RangedWeapon_Cooldown: 2.66
AccuracyTouch: 1.0
AccuracyShort: 0.8
AccuracyMedium: 0.6
AccuracyLong: 0.4

Standard Poké Ball

A standard poké ball, that is commonly used by all pokémon trainers, in their pursue to become a Pokémon Master.
WorkToMake: 2000
Cost: 1 x Component, 8 x Steel
ProducedAt: Machining Table
ResearchRequirement: Pokeball

MarketValue: 250

Range: 12.9
warmupTime: 1.0
AccuracyShort: 0.9
AccuracyMedium: 0.8
AccuracyLong: 0.7

Great Poké Ball

An improvised explosive version of the poké ball, that is easier to use standard poké ball due to a bigger catchment area. Noobs love this
WorkToMake: 3500
Cost: 3 x Component, 10 x Steel
ResearchRequirement: GreatPokeball

MarketValue: 415

ExplosionRadius: 3 cells radius

Ultra Poké Ball

An high tech version of the poké ball, that is twice as powerful as a standard poké ball. This primarily used to tame powerful creatures that are beyond the ability of the standard poké ball.
WorkToMake: 4500
Cost: 5 x Component, 10 x Steel
ResearchRequirement: UltraPokeBall

MarketValue: 625

PokeBallLevel: 100 (+1.0 in the calculation)

Master Poké Ball

An extremely powerful version of the poké ball, used by professional Pokémon Masters. This is poké ball is known to be able to capture some of the most powerful creatures.
WorkToMake: 10000
Cost: 25 x Component, 3 x Steel, 2 x Gold
ResearchRequirement: MasterPokeBall

MarketValue: 4500

PokeBallLevel: 200 (+2.0 in the calculation)

—————

Poké ball Combat System
How the maths / dice roll works:

POKEMON / CREATURE
Difficulty = Wildness of animal (which means 0 = totally not wild, 1 = totally wild)
CombatPower = Default combat power listed in which animal (this determines how many elephants vs boomrats will appear in a manhunter event) / 200 <--- elephant is 310, thrumbo is 600, boomrat is 50
AnimalHealth = By percentage of health. 100% health = 1, 10% health = 0.1
So the "PokemonLevel" = Difficulty + CombatPower + AnimalHealth

CASTER
Random Number = between 0 – 1.0 (this is for randomness)
CasterStats = Animal Taming Skills ( Animal Skills 0 = 0, Animal Skills 20 = 0.22) x 10 <-- This is in accordance to the vanilla game, where a level 20 will have 22% chance of successful tame
PokeballLevel = Weapon Damage / 100

Pokeball Caster's "diceroll" = Random Number + CasterStats + PokeballLevel

So the determination of whether is a successful tame, depends on which number is bigger. PokemonLevel or Caster.
If PokemonLevel > Caster, taming fail.
If PokemonLevel < Caster, Success!

—–

For some reference (full health):

Chicken: 1.11
Boomrat: PokemonLevel 2.0
Panther: PokemonLevel 2.575
Elephant: PokemonLevel 3.3
Thrumbo: PokemonLevel 4.985

Level 0 Caster (with pokeball of damage 50): 0.5 ~ 1.5
Level 20 Caster (with pokeball of damage 50): 2.7 ~ 3.7
Every Animal Skills Level gains 0.11 in CasterStats stats.

After each pokeball hit (not miss), you will be able to check the stats behind the Pokeball Battle, and figure out what should be your next move.

If it fails, should you get another colonist with higher animal skills?

Or should you use a higher level pokeball?

Or should you bash up and down the animal and try again (a downed animal can lose as much as 0.7 points in their PokemonLevel points)?

Its your choice!~

—–

OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://walkingproblem.com/
FORUM LINK: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=35971.0
NON-STEAM DOWNLOAD: http://walkingproblem.com/sdm_downloads/pokerim-poke-ball-ver2-0/
STEAM DOWNLOAD: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1162860582
DEVELOPER'S DISCORD: https://discord.gg/W2Vb27T
FACEBOOK PAGE: http://fb.com/walkingproblem

ポケリム モンスターボール 2.0 日本版アドオン
STEAM ダウンロード : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1217825065
非STEAM ダウンロード : http://walkingproblem.com/sdm_downloads/pokerim-poke-ball-ver2-0-japanese-version/

credit: SFX from youtube.com/TheBlindTrainer

-----

VER2.0 UPDATE NOTE
Improvement had been made to the pokeball codes to allow missed pokeball to not disappear after being thrown, as well as indication of the pokeball missed, as it had been really cryptic about what actually happened in the previous version when it misses (especially when the pokeball disappears). So this update shall make the pokeball really usable now. I also edited the chinese translation as well as added a japanese translation on my own as a separate download.

-----

VER 2.0 CHANGELOG:
– Added miss mote to know the pawn missed
– Allowed pokeball to not vanish if it fail to hit target
– Added a japanese translation version (as a separate download)
– Edited the chinese translation to better reflect the original english version

VER 1.1 CHANGELOG:
– Amended the mistake in the CasterStats (x10, not x5)
– Added RicoFox233 临时の工作服's Chinese Translation

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Nekokon

Congratulation on the release.

Still, it feels kind of weird not having any pokemon at all. How about adding a few pokemons (1st evolution, no special type with only melee attack) next to test out general balance within the game ?
I can think of a few typical ones for testing purpose:
- Rattata: most basic pokemon, just to serve as a base to compare. Estimate to have around husky's stats (yes, pokemon should be much stronger than their real animal counterpart).
- Mankey: for basic combat test. Should be equal to a colonist with lv 10 melee and bionic arms. 2nd base to compare.
- Rhyhorn: for basic combat test. Should be around megaspider in term of hp, dmg and defense (if not counting the rock type), but fall short on speed. 3rd base.
Also can be use to make a base for rock type: high sharp armor, low speed, and to test if using high defense pokemon to act as bullet magnet is too op and imbalance for vanilla raids. Iirc vanilla behaviors is to focus bigger threat rather than first target, but not sure how it's calculated so it's better to check.
- Snorlax or Kangaskhan: for basic combat test. I estimate they should be quite close to Thrumbo with huge pool of hp, great attack, decent defense and meh speed. 4th base.

With the 4 bases it should be possible to balance other pokemons (combat-wise) around without a lot of eyeballing.
You've already familiar with adding ability to haul/nuzzle/fix/harvest... so there's probably no point to test them here again.

ZE

evolutions would be rather interesting, i was thinking how to do them myself, independant of pokemon age

were i to choose which, i'd go for the kanto starters and their evos

SpaceDorf

If you could base evolution on the animal livestages, you could change the properties of the animal during its lifetime.

you would just have to fuck with the aging process of the animal ..

fuck .. posted to soon : if you are able to do this .. you could basically misuse Pokemon Age as Pokemon XP

kubolek01

Thanks god Master Ball isn't one-per-save insta catch tool, as original. WP, who caught you to be alright? A bored Spacer? xD
Eat lead, walking pile of silver! (greedy Player)
I...I can't do it. Leave it alive, please!(inner soul)
It lives 200 years to end up as a jacket?!(realists mind)
If I would go to vacation in off-Earth, even fictional place, I'd choose Nibel.

WalkingProblem

Quote from: kubolek01 on October 09, 2017, 03:13:30 PM
Thanks god Master Ball isn't one-per-save insta catch tool, as original. WP, who caught you to be alright? A bored Spacer? xD

Its pretty much insta-catch for most creatures in the game, even when used by really lousy animal skilled colonist (it would be a waste of a good pokeball though, if throw it at a chicken.... or worse.. missing the chicken...)

But I thought, if it can insta catch any legendary animals (including any super monsters or dinosaurs from mods) - it would be too OP to be fun anymore

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 09, 2017, 01:08:29 PM
If you could base evolution on the animal livestages, you could change the properties of the animal during its lifetime.

you would just have to fuck with the aging process of the animal ..

fuck .. posted to soon : if you are able to do this .. you could basically misuse Pokemon Age as Pokemon XP

Thats the "easier" way to do it.

The more correct way is to give pokemons special "stats" like fighting experience or some other kinky stuff, that when the bar is full, it will auto respawn as an evolved creature.

But not that I know now how to do that yet.... lol

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Walking Problem on October 09, 2017, 10:56:12 PM
Thats the "easier" way to do it.

It's always easier to improvise with what you got, than to reinvent the wheel.

Quote from: Walking Problem on October 09, 2017, 10:56:12 PM
The more correct way is to give pokemons special "stats" like fighting experience or some other kinky stuff, that when the bar is full, it will auto respawn as an evolved creature.

With you being one of the most advanced creature modders at the moment .. do you think you want to do this ?
Technical Difficulties aside .. balancing alone would be a nightmare.

WalkingProblem

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 10, 2017, 04:29:37 AM
With you being one of the most advanced creature modders at the moment .. do you think you want to do this ?
Technical Difficulties aside .. balancing alone would be a nightmare.

My gut feeling now is that, it is possible to do.

This poke ball mod actually supposed to be pretty challenging to code, since I'm literally creating a new form of weapon type - but somehow, it went incredibly smoothly... i shock myself even... it seems like all these months of coding C# for the game is translating to better understand of how the codes works in this game, and how one set of codes relate to another - plus how to use Visual Studio...

Getting the game to "remember" something is pretty new to me; dabbled slightly while doing this Pokeball mod. Might be possible.

fingers crossed

SpaceDorf

That was the biggest hurdle for me too.
Collecting the right Development Tools and setting them up to do what I want.

WalkingProblem

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 10, 2017, 07:24:53 AM
That was the biggest hurdle for me too.
Collecting the right Development Tools and setting them up to do what I want.

Then let me suggest the tools I use for coding:

xml : Notepad++ (free)
game code referencing: ILSpy (free)
c# coding: visual studio community edition (free)

Its all free. Dun bother using others - you can't get more "professional" than Visual Studio (which i believe we can graduate into real professional coding jobs someday learning how to use this software)

Thats all I use.

I have 2 monitors, so one will open visual studio, the other will open ILSpy; and then I just search for codes to copy or reference on the right (ILSpy), and then code on the left monitor (Visual Studio) - its basically all I use for C# coding for all my RimWorld mods.

SpaceDorf

Yup, the same as I do now.
Plus GitHub for Code Backup and Maybe publishing some day
and GoogleDocs/Sheets for portable notes.
I dabbled in Gimp, and hope I will do better in Photoshop.

I only recently came into possession of a second monitor ( okay I am abusing my TV .. but who cares .. 55" HD Rimworld Rocks .. )

And I was looking for a way around Visual Studio for a long time, since it became worse with every iteration, just like Office or Adobe.
My basic problem is that I learned to code before true OOP was forced upon us and Visual Studio had more in common with Notepad++ than with Photoshop ... so I hoped in vain that there was a possible way.
Since using the compiler with another IDE still requires me to install Visual Studio I accepted that Microsoft made the One IDE to rule them all ..

Nekokon

In rimworld it's rather hard to level up pokemon through combat since there're limited numbers of enemy/wild animals in some biomes. You might want to take this into consideration when balancing xp amount to evolve, as well as the amount of xp every other enemies give when killed (or per attacking action).
Or you can be lazy and make a new training job (like release/haul...) which increases the pokemon's stats (per trained level, if possible) and makes pokemon involve when finished. Not very exciting to look at compare to a pokemon involves in the middle of a fight, but it would reduce the workload by a lot.

ZE

an animal only skill
like it doesnt even show on humanlikes but only on pets, increases when training, hauling, fighting , killing
caps at 100 instead of 20

would be fun to try to evolve standard animals lol. 

feed a rat poprocks to evolve into a boomrat
boomrat reaches level 30 to evolve into a nukerat