Weapon Parts!

Started by aukave, October 14, 2017, 05:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aukave

Have you ever played borderlands or starbound? Do you like their weapon generation? Well, this idea is based off of that. WEAPON PARTS!

All guns have 6 main parts:
Magazine - Fire rate, damage, and very rarely projectile type. (Fire, ballistic, etc)
Grip - Mainly focus on fire rate and aim time.
Stock - Accuracy and aim time.
Sight - Once again... accuracy and aim time.
Body - Damage and projectile type (Two projectile types is possible, it will alternate between shots)
Barrel - Damage, effective range, and amount of shots.

Here is an example, maybe you found a sniper rifle on a dead body of a spacer that crashed into your village. It is a sniper.
The sniper rifles parts are:
Bandit Magazine - Fires fast, considerably lower damage.
Spacer Grip - Waaaay better accuracy, but considerable lower fire rate.
Tribal Stock - Lower aim time, worse accuracy.
Bandit Sight - Lower aim time, worse accuracy.
Spacer Body - Fire projectiles, causing very little damage, and a higher fire rate.
Tribal Barrel - Terrible accuracy, insane damage.

As you can see, this sniper would have terrible accuracy, a high fire rate, decent damage, fire damage, and a great aim time.

This would make all guns unique, but if you find a gun with say, all spacer parts, it will have a unique name. Such as "Meteor Blaster" and it will gain buffs in every aspect. (Very minimal.)

You can still find normal guns, they are common. These guns are very rare, and makes it so you should take time to look into all your weaponry.

(No clue if this is a good idea or not, just throwing it out there.)

XavierLex

average weeb

DiamondBorne

So it's like EPOE for guns. I loves it but it but this mechanic would break the learning curve in a vanilla game Rimworld is already very complex and too much stuff to do at the start will overwhlem 'normal' players. This would better off as a mod.

SpaceDorf

You think so ?

It would make it harder to find out, why a gun is good, but as a beginner and in early game you take whatever you get and learn whats good by comparison ..

the same as in Borderlands, Skyrim, Diablo3 and any other game that generates random weapons.
And fine-tuned decission making has always been an advanced skill in that cases.
So I think it will add to the game.

And even in a less advanced implementation with only standard weapon parts, I still think the crafting system will gain something.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

aukave

I never thought about crafting. But that did make me think about a system...
What if you crafted weapon parts before weapons? All different parts require different resources and you put them together to make a weapon. And maybe you could dismantle guns to get some parts.

Bolgfred

To put all this in a ostensive shape, I'd say, every weapon is build out of multiple components, which can have a different quality level and can have variations(as PO mentioned).
When used, every components looses condition randomly. every weapon can be dismantled into parts and every part needs to be crafted/traded/collected to reassemble a full weapon.

By this, captured weapons can be recycled more intresting as a sturdy shotgun might have one good part between the rusty scrap which can be used in another shutgun which has a bad quality part of this kind.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Bolgfred on October 23, 2017, 06:02:45 AM
To put all this in a ostensive shape, I'd say, every weapon is build out of multiple components, which can have a different quality level and can have variations

While different Parts require different Skills ..

A magnetic pulse accelerator needs a different skillset than a smoothbore or rifled barrel.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

BetaSpectre

+1 normal players of rimworld wouldn't stay since you need to adapt to raiding strategies and counters.

While this is best as a mod due to the sheer amount of changes to other already established mods. A more modular weapon design like one from Fallout 4 would be really interesting each crafted by a single component or so. With their own good/bad value system that affects damage, range, and re-fire times independently.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Bolgfred

Quote from: BetaSpectre on October 23, 2017, 11:30:23 PM
+1 normal players of rimworld wouldn't stay since you need to adapt to raiding strategies and counters.
If this is so I don't want to be normal. Isn't this the point of most games... to adapt your strategy on your enemies?

While this is best as a mod due to the sheer amount of changes to other already established mods.
Thats probably right. Elsewise it would be topic for a whole update, including condolence cards for weapon modders.

A more modular weapon design like one from Fallout 4 would be really interesting each crafted by a single component or so. With their own good/bad value system that affects damage, range, and re-fire times independently.

Isn't a modular system with single components that affect weapon aspects what your predecessor were talking about?
Furtermore, I didn't play Fallout 4, as I am still busy with FO2. Could you please explain your idea for us non FO4-players, Cave Dweller?
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

Deer87

Im not sure it's a good idea.

Splitting each weapon up in parts with multiple variations will IMHO create a micromanagement disaster.

In FO4 or Ghost Recon Wildlands it makes sense to the extent that you only deal with your own weapons and you can tweak them to personal preference. But having to deal with 10+ colonists weapons and decide if they should have a hunting rifle with short pipe and a little higher ROF at the cost of a minor accuracy penalty, or figuring out how to fit them with cabonfiber stocks...
not gonna happen.
And should i then try to customize their guns each time I fight a new type of opponent, or should i make batches and then reequip everybody each time?

I use CE, and i find the option to decide whether to use FMJ, AP or HP ammo sufficient, combined with snapshot/aimed shot.
Having to decide between an expanded arsenal from CE is already making me concider to cut some content, because i end up with 3 types of ammo i can't or won't use, because one AR is magianlly better than the other.

Im sorry, but its going to be a down vote.

OFWG

Quote from: Deer87 on October 24, 2017, 04:03:42 AM
Splitting each weapon up in parts with multiple variations will IMHO create a micromanagement disaster.

This. It worked in Borderlands because generating and looting new weapons was the focus of the entire game but here we have more to occupy us.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

BetaSpectre

Quote from: Bolgfred on October 24, 2017, 02:57:40 AM
If this is so I don't want to be normal. Isn't this the point of most games... to adapt your strategy on your enemies?

While this is best as a mod due to the sheer amount of changes to other already established mods.
Thats probably right. Elsewise it would be topic for a whole update, including condolence cards for weapon modders.

A more modular weapon design like one from Fallout 4 would be really interesting each crafted by a single component or so. With their own good/bad value system that affects damage, range, and re-fire times independently.

Isn't a modular system with single components that affect weapon aspects what your predecessor were talking about?
Furtermore, I didn't play Fallout 4, as I am still busy with FO2. Could you please explain your idea for us non FO4-players, Cave Dweller?
My own spin on this idea would be that each part would be less based on shape/design but more on a single generic item like Scope, Grip, Barrel. It wouldn't be about short, ported, or other types rather the quality would determine the stat increase when added, or decrease in other areas. But all in all it's the same idea guns are made out of many parts.

It was mentioned before that normal players/casual players wouldn't like this addition due to the sheer amount of micro, and I retorted towards that notion. Since Rimworld already has alot of micro, and other sorts of management I think making a more diverse component system would be fun. It'd be for me to collect all the different weapon components to make a better gun.

Fallout lets you break apart your weapons into different parts, or to craft the parts then put them onto your weapons at crafting benches. New scopes, new mags, suppressors, etc.

Though honestly the biggest issue in rimworld is stack management. While the parts would be fun storing them wouldn't be. It's like going into Shady sands and looting caps in fallout 1 or killing scorps and avoiding traps in the temple of trials to min max loot.

Rimworld has code to let multiple items based on weight get stored onto pawns or droppods, if this was extended it would allow to store other items. Per square droppods can be used like storage cabinets due to this feature of being able to load em up btw for better micro. Personally I think that if shelves worked like drop pods and still let pawns use all their contents alot of the stacking issues would be fixed a little faster.

Either way it'd still be best to stick to this topic as a mod due to the sheer amount of changes it'd bring.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Deer87

There is also the problem with wear and tear.
As long as we cannot repair the weapons making them more detailed will just make throwing a good one away because it is worn down even more painful.
Will the parts deterioate individually or will they adjust/contribute to the overall weapon condition.

But I stick to my notion, as long as we cannot swich ammo in vanilla, configuring barreltype makes little sense.